Bad Crash last Saturday!!

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
71suprema

Bad Crash last Saturday!!

Hi there,
im back with bad bad news from Germany....

Last Saturday we went to a classic car meeting and on the way home a black Mercedes overhauled 6 guys behind me and reeves in between me (my english s*cks!:-)) and the 68 c10 in front of me....

So he has at least!!! 80 mph (120) on the tach(this street was 60mph/100kmh) he hit the brake (it was an 2007 model i think?!?!), so i will brake , this f*ckin guy brakes down anyway and i couldnt hold it cause the distance for this car wasnt!!! there so my rear end was blockin, breakaway thru right, and then i must steer against, but i was helplessly...
left, right, left, right, than i hit an car trailer this takes me a turn and i m sitting in the field...
Thank God no persons hurt .!!!!!!!!!!!
i got some pain on the back and the driver of the trailer too...

im speechless everytime when i think of this ... idont know

Let the pics speak ....

Here the link: http://v8brothers.de/unfall.htm

Im keepin you updatet
Greets from Germany
Torsten
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Past Administrator

Torsten,

That is truly sad. I hope you can get it repaired. If there is anything we can do over here in the U.S. let us know. Maybe we can find parts that you would have trouble with. Glad nobody was hurt but that sure makes me want to cry. That '71 was a beautiful car. I know you have friends in your car club and they will help you. Lean on them my friend. Good luck.

edit: this thread "stickied" for a while.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:42 AM

Glad no one was hurt but I know you're sick about your car.

Count your blessing is about all I can say.
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:04 AM

I am glad you are alright, despite the emotional pain.
Other peoples stupid actions really make me sick.
I would have let the idiot who caused this be involved by letting him hit me (or rear-ending him) instead of swerving away hard and wrecking on my own. Here in the states, it would have been his fault that way.

On the brighter side, the front of these Olds's are modular and the front is pretty easy to fix by unbolting the bad and bolting in the new.
The frame may need repair though. It looks like the door and cowl area faired pretty well.
I am sure the battery was ruptured, so i would get the engine bay (and rest of the car washed out real good fast! That acid will cause lots more damage if left any longer.

Keep us posted, and again glad you weren't hurt!
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM
71suprema

thanks guys for your sympathy!!!

Yesterday i went to the garage and took a look at my cutty......

It seams, that the engine is not damaged, just the fan is bored into the radiator... further the steering linkage is broken, steering box is ok (as much as i can see...) the windshield has cracks...

My problem parts are the radiator core (i think you know what i mean)this is hard to find...
And the frame on driver side looks not so good...
Hopefully the car bench could make this fit again....

The passenger side looks in proportion to the drivers side very good...
The drivers door is lightly twisted on the top to the hood but its feasible...
Everything else is replaceable the hood, fenders, radiator, battery, windshield.... and the small parts...
Like i said the only problem could be the radiator support core
Now thats it for now

Will be update as soon as i can!
Thanks guys and have a nice weekend!
Greetz from Germany
Torsten
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Perhaps this would be a good place to dicuss the interchangabilty of parts that he will need.

Whatcha think guys?

Help an Olds guy out and learn a little at the same time.
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Registered

I'm also happy you're okay, take care of that back though. Looks like you were pretty lucky if it can be called that. The car must have really flown up in the air when it it hit the trailer rear wheel going by the marks on the side.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Perhaps this would be a good place to dicuss the interchangabilty of parts that he will need.

Whatcha think guys?

Help an Olds guy out and learn a little at the same time.
Sounds like a good plan Jamesbo!

Just to get started here is a link to to texas442.com that explains the difference between the 1971-'72 core supports and 1970-'72 fenders, click on "miscellanies".
http://www.texas442.com/

They all fit and look the same externally.
The hoods are the same for 1971-'72 but there are a few different types, looks like Torsten has the stock Cutlass or Vista Cruiser hood.
And there are different size radiator core supports and top plates depending on what size radiators aren't there?

Allan
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM

I have an extra hood off a '71 convertible you can have, just pay for crating and shipping and its yours. Jkaz
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM

I don't have anything to offer but sympathies and best wishes. I will keep my eyes open for parts though. That truly is a shame. Especially in an area that probably does not have too many pieces of classic Americana to begin with. I am glad to hear you were not seriously hurt though. Looking at the pictures I would have guessed otherwise. It really sucks when the stupid actions from an idiot effect the people around them.
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Good to hear that nobody was hurt. Keep us posted on your repairs.
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I'm sorry about your car. That looks like it was one hell of a hit. Glad nobody was hurt. That's a good testament to how well built your Oldsmobile was made. Good luck to ya.
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I've got a front bumper.
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Crash

I agree with the others, we're glad your OK and believe this is an example of how safe these old cars are. Your pictures remind me of a time years ago I was in an accident with a red 1970 Cutlass S. I broke a finger but walked away from what probably would have been a fatal accident if I were in a small car.

I have most of the parts you'll need, but I'm on the West Coast of the US. If you can find those items closer to the East Coast it will save shipping costs. Once you get into the repairs if you have trouble finding an item keep me in mind. John
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Parts Interchangeability

James & Allen sounds like you guys have some good ideas. Here's what I believe swaps over.
1971 & 72 core supports the same. Plastic stone shield around grill panels and above the bumper are the same. Grill panels will interchange although the 1971 Supreme was the only metal panels. Headlights and all related parts are the same, although the 1972 had black paint on the aluminum surrounds. Bumpers and brackets between the two are the same as are the turn signals. Fenders 70-72 interchange although the 70 doesn't have the crumple ridges. Hood hinges from 69-72 interchange. Hoods 71-72 swap but trim above the grills is different between 71 & 72, need to match grills. Steering and front suspension from 68-72 A-Body interchange. Radiator top plates from 69-72 the same, 2 and 3 core are the same but the 4 core is different. Radiator and engine fans from 68-72 will swap over depending on options like AC or not, I think into the mid-70's too but don't know for sure. Fender emblems I'm not sure about but believe they too fit into the mid-70's. Windshields are the same from 68-72 GM A-Body except for the radio antenna in the glass. I think the plastic splash panel under the core support is the same from 69-72, and I'm not sure but think the fan shroud will also swap between the years but differs with the 4 core vs. the 2 & 3 core.

OK guys, this is my first cut. If you can add to this or see a mistake in my list post it and lets resolve it to try and help Torsten restore this car
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Do we have a shipping expert out there?

Would it be better to put all these parts in a container and ship rather than ship seperately?

He's gonna need alot of stuff to get his car back in shape, I was just wondering how we could all work together and help him out.
Any thoughts?
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about that.

Some ******* totalled my Delta 2 weeks ago today, bent the frame, the car is done. I'm still depressed over it. Even took it to an Oldsmobile body shop to try to save the car, but the frame was damaged beyond repair. I know how it gets you mad that some dumb ******* does something stupid and costs you your baby.

Hopefully you can get it rolling again, if not, take the money, put it into a CD or some other small invesment account, and build another car in a year or two. That's what the body shop told me to do, and I would if a baby wasn't on the way in 2 months
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM

I have a windshield. It's off a 68 and unknown condition. If it will fit I will check its condition. does the 71 have the internal antenna? This one does not. Want to be sure before I dig it out of the attic edit Last time I looked at it there were no cracks but may have been discolored from the sun, a good scrubbing would be needed to ascertain actual condition. If it's good you can have it for the shipping and crating.

Last edited by csstrux; September 26th, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Do we have a shipping expert out there?

Would it be better to put all these parts in a container and ship rather than ship seperately?

He's gonna need alot of stuff to get his car back in shape, I was just wondering how we could all work together and help him out.
Any thoughts?
I work for a company with German roots. They are always sending containers back and forth from Germany to Canada. I can see if I can ask a favour and sneak a few items on.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that Torsten. When I went to Spain this past summer, I didn't see a single Olds. I can only imagine how rare that car is over in Germany, it looked great I'm glad you're going to fix it, I feel for ya.
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:54 AM

Schade
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM
71suprema

Hi, guys

at first i want to thank all of you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I´m Speechless!!!

Even i looked at my cutlass and took some pictures ....

so here they are
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
moto_0230.jpg (61.6 KB, 66 views)
moto_0231.jpg (62.1 KB, 43 views)
moto_0232.jpg (80.4 KB, 62 views)
moto_0233.jpg (100.8 KB, 50 views)
moto_0234.jpg (58.6 KB, 38 views)
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM
71suprema

Some More:
Attached Images
moto_0224.jpg (83.1 KB, 45 views)
moto_0225.jpg (72.7 KB, 28 views)
moto_0235.jpg (39.3 KB, 37 views)
moto_0236.jpg (32.4 KB, 27 views)
moto_0223.jpg (73.6 KB, 44 views)
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM
71suprema

so thats a sad story

On sunday i want to start this puttin into my cutlass.....
Attached Images
moto_0226.jpg (41.4 KB, 57 views)
moto_0227.jpg (45.0 KB, 44 views)
moto_0228.jpg (35.7 KB, 37 views)
moto_0229.jpg (91.4 KB, 37 views)
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Looks like you have been planning that for a while. How are you coming on parts for the repair? Also, how is your back? I should ask, any news on the frame, can it be repaired?

Last edited by csstrux; September 27th, 2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM

I think I am going to be sick, I hope I do not have nightmares.
Old September 28th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Registered

Hey Torsten, all those parts meant to go on this car? I bet you're (at the very least) relieved that you didn't put them on now.
The car actually doesn't look that bad, the frame horn is still facing the right way. Hopefully the wheel took the brunt of the force vs the trailer wheel/axle and it just sheared all the A-frame mounts off and didn't bend the frame too much. I'm curious to know what it looks like when you get it on the frame rack but you probably have enough to you keep you busy right now.

Allan
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Das ist aber Schade. I am truly heartbroken for you. My relatives live near Muenchen (Ismaning) - are you anywhere nearby as I saw the Bayerische KrankenWagen in the picture, so I figured you are somewhere in Bayern/Bavaria area?. I agree - a single shipping container would be best for cost and put all parts in one big crate for the water voyage. It would be cool if there was a TV show in Deutschland like in US (Overhaulin or Musclecar, etc.) that could fix up the car for you and maybe some sponsors to help pay for getting parts over there (YearOne, etc.). Just a thought - to show American musclecars around the world.
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Take the hood off and get some pics so we can see the damage underneath. From below also if possible. What type of brakes does it have drums or disk? I have a set of drum spindels if you need. Also have complete power steering set up, few sets of A arms, and a front sway bar. All for free just pay shipping. I posted this link on ROP I know there are guys over there that have everything else you need. JKaz
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:36 PM

OUCH!

Sorry to hear about your car, but I am glad you are alright! I also have many parts to help out if needed. We also have several Oldsmobile patrons that are closer to you and may also have some parts. Some in England, Sweden, and a few other countries that are very nice guys! Pierre in Sweden has stuff shipped from the US all the time, so even if he does not have the parts, he may be able to help with shippers to get the parts to you as cheap as possible. Go to www.realoldspower.com and register and you will be able to make contact with some of these guys a lot easier! Good luck!
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:45 AM
car nut farmer

Sorry you had the accident but I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.

Just last Saturday my son and I were driving my Cutlass home from a car show and came close to having a head-on collision. We topped a hill on old U.S. 169 south of Chanute and there was a car trying to pass a p/u. I hit the brakes real hard but didn't have to ditch it, thank God I was only going 50. I swear, half the people on the road shouldn't be driving.
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by 71rocket
Sorry you had the accident but I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.

Just last Saturday my son and I were driving my Cutlass home from a car show and came close to having a head-on collision. We topped a hill on old U.S. 169 south of Chanute and there was a car trying to pass a p/u. I hit the brakes real hard but didn't have to ditch it, thank God I was only going 50. I swear, half the people on the road shouldn't be driving.

Where was the show? I am also a fellow Kansan. Yeah lots of crazy driversw out there.
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:25 AM
71suprema

Hey Guys,

the problem to take photos from under the hood is,

I must wait till the surveyor watched the car for damage worth.

so if this doesnt happend i can do nothin.... sadly...

The cheek is, the police means (on the crash day) that ive lost the control bout my vehicle and then crashed into the trailer !!!!!!!!!!! That Makes me f*ckin Sick!! I tell you!!!

Germany is unbelievable!!!

The Frame on the drivers side looks above and i dont know if this could fixed again ( cause im a Carpenter:-)))) And if the frame isnt fixable i really im really finished.....

But i got a message from a mechanic near here, and he thinks that a friend of him has an 69 or 70 Skylark frame with some body parts on it....
Im really ignorant this time .. That s*cks.!

And if the police really put the fault to me, at the crash im gonna explode!!!
Attached Images
rahmen 1.jpg (80.1 KB, 28 views)
rahmen 2.jpg (82.8 KB, 32 views)
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:36 AM

The vast amount of help offered says a lot for Car Loving Men of the USA. Be proud. Can't wait for the finished photos when it is all finished. You all made my day. Andy
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cecil Anderson
The vast amount of help offered says a lot for Car Loving Men of the USA. Be proud. Can't wait for the finished photos when it is all finished. You all made my day. Andy
I agree. I am proud to have such wonderfull neighbours to the south.
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Registered

I'm a carpenter too Torsten, I don't think a big hammer will work. From what you described , and if you have witnesses, it would be the other cars fault here. He was driving dangerously and caused the whole situation, anything after he cut you off is his problem and he is liable for it. Did that car get away? they usually do leaving whatever happens behind them. A whole family in a minivan was killed here last year in the same exact situation, they were looking for a white pick-up truck but never found it.
Your driving seems pretty good to me if nobody was killed or hurt badly, the car is still right side up. Let the cops try a panic stop like that and see what happens, and see if they take the blame. The con-artist criminals try that insurance scam all the time here, cut in front of you and slam on the brakes. The only problem is when they do it to a tractor trailer they lose sometimes, if that is a problem.

Keep the faith Torsten,

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; September 29th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by amh555
The con-artist criminals try that insurance scam all the time here, cut in front of you and slam on the brakes. The only problem is when they do it to a tractor trailer they lose sometimes, if that is a problem.
Not a problem in my book! I encourage the big-rig drivers to run their butts over and not lose control of their trucks.
Many commercial drivers used "drivecam" which revealed many of these staged wrecks on video. It would be great when no witnesses are around.
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Glad everyone is ok. I am sorry about your 71 that was a real nice olds....
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 79cutlass
that was a real nice olds....
...and it will be again!

In the caring hands of a great owner, his/her Oldsmobile never 'dies'.

It looks like Torsten has big plans for her and he has gained lots of support from us Olds folks around the globe!
Hopefully his '71 will be deep in the repair progress when i get back from vacation in a few weeks, or better yet - done!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:26 AM

Wow! amazing no one was badly hurt, I am sorry for your misfortune-It brings a tear to my eye looking at the pictures that is one cool car. Good luck putting her back together- Im sure its not a easy or cheap thing to do in that part of the world.
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:28 AM

I couldn't be bothered to read the thread, but that sucks! It hurts to see a styled car like that busted up

Quick Reply: Bad Crash last Saturday!!