Anyone use Ogden Chrome for plating?

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Olds Dreamer

If any one wants to know for a 71-72 cutlass they quoted me 405$ for the front and 405$ for the rear. i think that is to much. but yes free shipping. i will get my bumpers some where else.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if you sent them your parts and declined their price that you may never see your parts again. Thats what i was afraid of when thy tried to double the original quote. They already made a verbal disclaimer that "sometimes FedEx losses the parts"
Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 401wildcat
Wouldn't surprise me if you sent them your parts and declined their price that you may never see your parts again. Thats what i was afraid of when thy tried to double the original quote. They already made a verbal disclaimer that "sometimes FedEx losses the parts"
So you joined this forum just to complain about them?

Sounds like you've had a different experience than all the other folks.

-Justin

Last edited by justinj; June 2nd, 2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: grammar
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:41 PM

alek72us ...400 Each for bumpers is pretty cheap for nice bumpers...at the low end of the nice scale I would say... and free shipping? what more do you want ??? You get what you pay for....
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:45 PM

OMG...one complaint against Ogden...and they choose not to be a member of the BBB...dont want to pay the fees probably...come on...
Old June 3rd, 2011, 05:59 AM
Lance

Ogden did the front bumper guards on my '70 Chevelle SS. They turned out very nice and Ogden's price was the best out of all the big name platers.

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

They even retained the factory markings per my request!
IMG_0907.jpg

BTW, the only place to send pot metal to be chrome plated for a "top shelf" restoration project is Pauls Chrome. He is the best with pot metal plating IMPO, but very costly.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by 442scotty
alek72us ...400 Each for bumpers is pretty cheap for nice bumpers...at the low end of the nice scale I would say... and free shipping? what more do you want ??? You get what you pay for....
i didnt mean anything bad. i was letting others that have 71-72 know. there is a place on ebay that sells tripple coated bumpers for 368$ i will get mine there. if i had an all original car and wanted to keep it that way then yes i would pay 810 for them.
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by alek72us
i didnt mean anything bad. i was letting others that have 71-72 know. there is a place on ebay that sells tripple coated bumpers for 368$ i will get mine there. if i had an all original car and wanted to keep it that way then yes i would pay 810 for them.
Alek, If you would like your bumpers to fit and look their best, here's some sound advice: Pay the $405 each and stay away from the repop bumpers.
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 442scotty
OMG...one complaint against Ogden...and they choose not to be a member of the BBB...dont want to pay the fees probably...come on...
I agree. There's something fishy here. He says they have an "F" rating at the BBB, but I checked, and they are not members of BBB. Everyone else has a great experience, with no unresolved negatives for over a year on this post? I'd be inclined to trust Charlie at Ogden...
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:13 AM

BBB is a farce anyway. When a business has complaints against it, they can protest the complaint if they are members and it will go away. If one guy had a bad experience, chalk it up to a bad day. Every vendor has them. But it appears the overwhelming majority of those here have had great experiences with Ogden....I'd say that trumps the one issue.

Last edited by Bayou Olds; June 6th, 2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: because I cannot spell!
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Thats exactly what I told myself too.

Those words exactly. Unfortunatly I guess it was my turn for them to have a bad day on. I could still say it maybe was an isolated incident if it were not for the way they treated me when I complained. The bs was flying out of their mouths like water over Niagra Falls. And it all came out way too easy for them. It obviously was not their first time, or second or third etc. I guess people will have to decide for themselves. But that was my experience. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Bayou Olds
BBB is a farce anyway. When a business has complaints against it, they can protest the complaint if they are members and it will go away. If one guy had a bad experience, chalk it up to a bad day. Every vendor has them. But it appears the overwhelming majority of those here have had great experiences with Ogden....I'd say that trumps the one issue.

Last edited by 401wildcat; June 13th, 2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: forgot to say
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
Great I have a bumper down there right now. I know this company was bought out by someone else maybe that's the problem. Sure hope my bumper doesn't look like your grill.
Got bumper back last Thursday and it is perfect not one problem.
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Olds Dreamer

405 each is just for rechroming not straightening. i only have my front bumper anyways never had a rear. so i have to buy a rear anyways. i wouldn't need to pay for shipping if they did do shipping they only live a couple miles away from me.

like i said i put this down so others with a 71-72's would know what they are charging to rechrome bumpers. it don't matter where i get mine from. i'm pretty sure i will let u guys know where, when, how they looked and how they fit.

fusicks bumpers are tripple chromed and have great reviews . bumpers front and rear and bumper bolts are 890$ plus shippings. tamraz used to have front and rear in a kit for around 600$ but can't find them anymore. and a place called A*deals has front and rear 529.95 (probably pretty cheap) says made in china but tripple chromed in us. i'm not into buying stuff from other countries. but i'm happy they are still producing some parts for olds because the us ain't i will probably buy from fusicks. but that is at the end of my list so it will be awhile.
Old August 1st, 2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by alek72us
405 each is just for rechroming not straightening.
I would disagree as the front bumper for my 68 was gouged and twisted on one end. 405 total and my bumper came out great as can been seen in my earlier posts on this thread.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
Olds Dreamer

i must of mis understood.
Old June 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR

BTW, the only place to send pot metal to be chrome plated for a "top shelf" restoration project is Pauls Chrome. He is the best with pot metal plating IMPO, but very costly.
Found this old thread while searching for plating experiences, so I thought that I would add my own...

A number of years ago, I was also told that Paul's did the best on pot metal plating, however, the piece came back with more waves in in than in the ocean. I have since used Qual Krome in Eire PA for all my expensive can't be replaced pot metal pieces, and every one has come back perfect. I had one grille part that was broken in half, and they "welded" it back together, and you can't tell where it was repaired. They also guarantee their work for as long as you own the car. I damaged a chrome part, and when I returned it to them to repair, they didn't charge me, even though it was my fault.
For smaller pieces that I don't want to spend a fortune on, I use New England Plating in West Hartford CT. They do good work at a reasonable price. The old adage that you get what you pay for is correct, and sometimes you don't get what you pay for, even if it is expensive. There will always be someone that has had a bad experience so just hope that you are not that person. No shop is 100% perfect 100% of the time. It is how they handle the problem that determines how good a reputation that they will have going forward.
Old October 10th, 2014, 11:47 PM

Thumbs up great job

Originally Posted by sklbndt
After....
Boy they look fantastic I was going to use them at one time but did they locally. they came out OK, but your are just awsome.
Old October 11th, 2014, 07:22 AM

Be warned something has changed at Ogden chrome and the quality is not the same in 2014 as it was in 2013.

I had pot metal done in 2013 and it was rough and it came back like jewerly however i sent bumper to be plated in 2014 during their special and not so good and it cost me 1500 for show chrome. Every time we spoke on the phone they tried to lower my expectations on how it would turn out.

I will not use them again.

If you want a perfect bumper use Sherms Custom Plating in Sacremento. You get what you pay for with them.
Old July 1st, 2019, 02:53 PM

I use Angel's Metal Polishing here in Sun Valley CA. He and his wife are fantastic people to deal with, I have been using them for years. He does museum quality work on pot metal, stainless, aluminum, and chroming. He does all the repairs to for his customers except he does the straightening and copper plating on the chrome parts and bumpers and sends them out to be chromed. I brought him a 63 Olds wheel opening maneles and gauged and when he got done with it, it looked NOS. Fantastic with pot metal, not cheap, but he did the tail panel for a 65 442 that came out great without loosing the texture. Damaged aluminum parts and grills, are no problem, stainless is his specialty. I highly recommend him he does not advertise in any publications, but he is on google. I can't believe the prices I have seen on rechromed bumpers, that is highway robbery. I sold parts for years and had many rechromed bumpers by another shop with copper and nickel plating with straightening and never paid over $400. Well I hope you will swing some business his way I guarantee you will be satisfied.