Anyone use Ogden Chrome for plating?

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM

Anyone use Ogden Chrome for plating?

A few weeks ago I was at the Roadster Show here in Portland and stumbled across this vendor at the show. OGDEN CHROME (http://ogdenchrome.com/). They quoted me what I have found to be the best price on rechroming my 72 Supreme bumpers. $405 each including free pick up and delivery. I thought this might be a hassle to try and find a box for those puppies! Anyhow after checking other local platers in my area, they want $600 - $700. They triple plate and use copper in the process. I was impressed with their booth and the web site and am about to ship them off. Unless I get some negative feedback. So I was wondering if anyone has used them and what they have found? If no one knows, I may have to be the ginnie pig on this one!

Forget trying to find a box that they will fit in. You'll have to make-shift one yourself! Like wrapping a burrito in cardboard. Lots of tape and patients.

Chuck

Last edited by hinz57; June 5th, 2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM

ogden chrome

i have used them for 20 years they have all the dies to stamp the old bumpers and do a great job one note nickel is way high right now im wating on the bumpers for my 69 cuttless S tell the price drops
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:39 AM
Loose Radical

WOW, I was thinking you were close by for free pick up and shipping. Their site says they do it for all 48 states! Price seems good even without that feature.
Did they say how long turn around was?
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM

They say turn around time is just 10-14 days. We will see. I have my bumpers scheduled to be picked up Monday, June 7th. I'm in no hurry, I just want a quality job.
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Lance

Chuck, this sounds like a great deal. I have had my rear '70 442 bumper into the local plater two times, trying to get the opening correct on my inboard tail light on the drivers side and he still can't get it right.

Please let us know how it turns out for you, and post photos if you can.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM

Just got my bumpers back from OGDEN CHROME in Utah. I live in Oregon. Sent them on June 8th, received them back on July 2nd. Not a bad turn around. I must say they turned out very nice. Now that I'm confident of their work, I will send them my wheel opening trim and see if they can work some magic on those puppies! The closest place doing this kind of work in my area is across town anyway and Ogden's prices are better. So as long as they continue to pay shipping, I'm sold!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0032.jpg (85.7 KB, 241 views)
IMG_0031.jpg (86.6 KB, 209 views)
IMG_0030.jpg (72.9 KB, 202 views)
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:32 PM

Wow I must say they look nice. I sent some parts to a Burgess chrome plating in Indianapolis Indiana and he really did a number on some of them.. Some can not even be saved now.. I Have to check them out
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by hinz57
Just got my bumpers back from OGDEN CHROME in Utah. I live in Oregon. Sent them on June 8th, received them back on July 2nd. Not a bad turn around. I must say they turned out very nice. Now that I'm confident of their work, I will send them my wheel opening trim and see if they can work some magic on those puppies! The closest place doing this kind of work in my area is across town anyway and Ogden's prices are better. So as long as they continue to pay shipping, I'm sold!
That is impressive! Most of the platers up here in Canada won't touch bumpers for less than 6-700. Plus you have to bring them to the shop.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM

I know this is a little bit older post but thought it was still relevant. My front bumper is with Ogden right now. They got it about a week ago and I should have it back in about 2-3 more. I love that they pay the shipping both ways. From how they described the steps they take to make sure it's perfect, I have a really good feeling it's going to come out amazingly well. I'll keep you guys posted upon its return.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM

please do, as the only decent place around me is supposedly one of the best in the country (show quality) but you pay for it
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM

hinz57,

What did they cost and what condition were they in when shipped.

Their website requires a quote. Just looking for a ballpark.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM

I have to say that the bumpers I got from DVAP I was not pleased with. Although they looked nice the front bumper is pushed up in the center and not straight. I wonder if Ogden could straighten them for me? I'm not about to send them back to DVAP after that
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM

Steve, I know you will definitely appreciate seeing how they come out since I know you used to own a black '76 like mine!

The bumper was actually a very good original with only minor scratches, etc. Without the scratches, it would have made an excellent driver but I decided it would make an even better rechrome candidate.

They quoted me $405 for either front or rear bumpers for my car. That price actually includes most minor repairs but nothing major. They called me to confirm that the bumper arrived ok and to confirm the price so they didn't change the quote which was reassuring.

I am dying to see what it looks like when I get it back. This is the first thing I've ever had chromed. Luckily all of the other chrome on my car is either NOS or excellent originals.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
I have to say that the bumpers I got from DVAP I was not pleased with. Although they looked nice the front bumper is pushed up in the center and not straight. I wonder if Ogden could straighten them for me? I'm not about to send them back to DVAP after that
Hey Trip,

I would call them to discuss it. It sounds like they could make just about any repair necessary. Maybe you can send them pictures. You can actually have the bumper shipped to them for a quote and returned if you decide not to go through with it. They still pick up the shipping I believe. Call them to discuss it. I think they run a good operation from what I've heard so far and my experience to date. I just hope the quality of the work meets up with my expectations.
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:25 AM

As I said $405 each for the 72 Supreme. Which included shipping. My bumbers were in good condition. No straightening needed. Just typical pitting, chrome flaking etc. I was very satisfied. They got them back to me in short order and did a fantastic job. They came through with everything promised! Would recommend them to anyone...
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM

I had 2 bumper done by Ogden for a 62 Futura I had a couple of years again. They where in terrible shape when I sent them (rust, cracked and really bent) and they came back looking like new and they fit perfect.
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:07 AM

I just heard back from Ogden yesterday and my bumper is done and on its way back already. I should have it mid next week and I cannot wait to unwrap it, see what it looks like and get it on the car!
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM

Glad to hear you have a good plater. They are hard to come by. I took a really beat rear 65 Cutlass bumper to my plater in Calgary, Fairmont plating. They did an awesome job for $400 bucks. I thought the bumper was junk.

We should have a vendor forum listing places that do good work. It would help a lot.

Now if there were someone in the Northwest that does awesome pot metal.............
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
NOVICE car nut

my rear bumper on my 72CS is pretty bent , and rusty...I wonder if its repairable plus chrome , if its worth it....will post pic on it tomorrow.
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:11 AM

Wow this is just what I have been looking for, once I finish paying for the Engine build, its Chrome / Paint! I have a '75 CS, now the bumpers are in pretty good shape, a little rusting on the front bumper, and just your standard pitting on the rear. But what worry's me is that the car has the rubber on the bumpers (not sure of the exact term, but it is stock), what will happen with these, will these get affected?

Also any one know a good Paint Shop (thats reasonably priced) in the Tristate Area (Closer to Long Island, NY the better ;p )
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by jo75olds
Wow this is just what I have been looking for, once I finish paying for the Engine build, its Chrome / Paint! I have a '75 CS, now the bumpers are in pretty good shape, a little rusting on the front bumper, and just your standard pitting on the rear. But what worry's me is that the car has the rubber on the bumpers (not sure of the exact term, but it is stock), what will happen with these, will these get affected?

Also any one know a good Paint Shop (thats reasonably priced) in the Tristate Area (Closer to Long Island, NY the better ;p )

The rubber impact strips have studs and nuts attaching them from the back side of the bumper.

Henry
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

I've been in touch with charlie at ogden...I'm going to ship him some cast pieces (hood ornament, door handles, etc..) and see what happens - I'll update as my 'experiment' progresses...
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:31 AM

As for pot metal. They told me they will pay for shipping on any parts you want to send them for a quote. Even if you decide you're not going through with the work, they'll still pick up the shipping. Give them a call to discuss the parts you have and that this is infact the case. It sounds like they do a pretty thorough process on pot metal but I don't think it's too cheap. They gave me a price range of $50-$100 per door handle for my 98, depending on the condition they start with.
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Yeah, he basically told me the same thing - except that asking him for a 'ballpark' quote is a loaded question! =)

I've resigned myself to the fact that basically rechroming an entire 55 Olds' worth of metal is going to likely cost me some of my own body parts, so I just have to bite the bullet and start. I've already made attempts to find "pit free" cores for this stuff (and with some success), but for some reason, Holiday Sedan door handles are about as common as hens teeth, honest politicians, and real 'reality' shows...and so it begins.

By the way, if anyone has good Holiday Sedan outside door handles I'm in the market...
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Olds Dreamer

I live about 30 miles from ogden chrome. i used to hear about them alot when i was younger. i figured they went under or something. never heard anything bad about them though.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM

Hey gang,

OK, so I got my bumper back from Ogden today and I was like a kid on Christmas! Unfortunately, there's a BUT coming. Check out the pics to see. I think it may have been scratched in shipping since this bumper is huge and they don't pack with much padding. I just emailed Charlie at Ogden and am hoping this will be rectified quickly. Overall, the quality of the work is outstanding! The picture of my camera was actually taken up against the bumper...that's how perfect the plating is. I know this is the first bumper I've had chromed but it could not look any better (aside from the scratch!! lol). I will keep you posted on the progress of getting it taken care of. Unfortunately, it will likely have to go back to Utah again
Attached Images
Bumper (1).jpg (46.0 KB, 202 views)
Bumper (2).jpg (43.1 KB, 178 views)
Bumper (4).jpg (47.8 KB, 199 views)
Bumper (9-1).jpg (66.8 KB, 175 views)
Bumper (8-1).jpg (46.5 KB, 166 views)
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:54 PM

I have a bunch of 70-72 side marker light housings in need of replating. Do they do small parts like these? Chumley

Also, do they rechrome plastic pieces?

Last edited by Chumley; February 23rd, 2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey gang,

OK, so I got my bumper back from Ogden today and I was like a kid on Christmas! Unfortunately, there's a BUT coming. Check out the pics to see. I think it may have been scratched in shipping since this bumper is huge and they don't pack with much padding. I just emailed Charlie at Ogden and am hoping this will be rectified quickly. Overall, the quality of the work is outstanding! The picture of my camera was actually taken up against the bumper...that's how perfect the plating is. I know this is the first bumper I've had chromed but it could not look any better (aside from the scratch!! lol). I will keep you posted on the progress of getting it taken care of. Unfortunately, it will likely have to go back to Utah again
OK gang, the verdict is in and Odgen Chrome RULES! I got my bumper back (again) today and it is as perfect as I could hope for. I hope the pics give you an idea of just how great it came out because it's really hard to get pictures that do it justice. They really came through after it got scratched in shipping the first time. They triple packed it this time and it arrived perfectly. For the inconvenience, they also agreed to do a pair of bumper guards for me which also came out great. I can guarantee they will be getting all of my chrome work in the future. Their customer service was great, their prices are very reasonable, they pay shipping both ways and the work is beautiful. Now to get the bumper together and on the car where it belongs!
Attached Images
Bumper Guards Rechromed2.jpg (73.0 KB, 116 views)
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:53 PM

Sounds like Ogden does good work
I just want to throw some info on here for anyone who does not know the truth;
NO rechrome facility has "dyes" nor "templates" which are used to straighten your bent bumpers. They straighten them by the "heat and beat" method and get them back into the shape they think they are supposed to be in. Some of the places actually do a pretty good job of it others are terrible at it. Has a lot to do with the experience of the worker who does the straightening. I know this is true, I have had the grand tour of a few of the places, I have talked with a few more to find out how they do it. I've had work done from California, Arizona, Minnesota, Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, all of them tell the same story as I related to you above. Take a minute and think,,,how many different shapes of bumpers there are out there for all these old cars, do you seriously think anyone could have dyes or templates for them all,,,,,,, the building would need to be acres in size to house them. Believe me there are none.
Moral of this story is, if you have badly damaged bumpers that do not fit well the shops can help, sometimes get it pretty good, but mostly it will not be great. If you really want a nice fitting bumper you will need a good fitting core. Dings and dents are easily fixed, twists, tweaks, and all things worse will be a crap shoot, sometimes you win of course, but mostly you loose.
OH, and definitely stay away from the Bumper Boyz.
Mike

Last edited by 66luvr; March 23rd, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:59 AM

Hey Mike,

I think you're absolutely right. When I spoke with Ogden they told me that they do straighten bumpers to be factory correct. Mine had a bit of a crease along the RH side. They said that they make sure that each side is a mirror image of the other. How exactly they do it, I don't know but it is absolutely perfect and you would never know anything was ever done. I've heard the same about Bumper Boyz. Never really heard anything good about them.
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Cant wait to hear how they do with pot metal...I have a pile of side trim I want done right..not to mention tail light housings..
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:36 PM

I looked into these guys based on this thread and after talking to Charlie at Ogden I decided to send my front bumper. The bumper had some dings, was twisted about 2 inches on one end, had a large gouge on one end (which was most likely the cause of the twisting), and the square bolt holes were slightly rounded. Charlie phone quoted $405 for all repairs, plating and shipping both ways. Well, I received my bumper today and all I can say is.....WOW!! Everything has been repaired and the plating is visually perfect. Total turnaround time was about 3 weeks. I am impressed and will recommend these guys to anyone looking for plating services.

Last edited by sklbndt; May 12th, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 13th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Lance

Originally Posted by sklbndt
I looked into these guys based on this thread and after talking to Charlie at Ogden I decided to send my front bumper. The bumper had some dings, was twisted about 2 inches on one end, had a large gouge on one end (which was most likely the cause of the twisting), and the square bolt holes were slightly rounded. Charlie phone quoted $405 for all repairs, plating and shipping both ways. Well, I received my bumper today and all I can say is.....WOW!! Everything has been repaired and the plating is visually perfect. Total turnaround time was about 3 weeks. I am impressed and will recommend these guys to anyone looking for plating services.
Photos???
Old May 13th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Before....
Attached Images
68CutlassFrontBumper 001.jpg (214.5 KB, 114 views)
68CutlassFrontBumper 003.jpg (189.3 KB, 113 views)
68CutlassFrontBumper 004.jpg (202.8 KB, 99 views)
68CutlassFrontBumper 005.jpg (213.5 KB, 99 views)
68CutlassFrontBumper 007.jpg (199.7 KB, 97 views)
Old May 13th, 2011, 04:51 PM

After....
Attached Images
bumper 007.jpg (201.4 KB, 115 views)
bumper 002.jpg (181.3 KB, 116 views)
bumper 005.jpg (193.2 KB, 112 views)
bumper 006.jpg (184.7 KB, 100 views)
bumper 008.jpg (183.7 KB, 115 views)
Old May 14th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Lance

Originally Posted by sklbndt
After....
WOW!!! That chrome looks very nice and a great job on straightening!!!
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:19 AM

Thumbs down Ogden Chrome is a RIP-OFF

Don't believe all the hype from Ogden Chrome. Their claim of triple plate show chrome is nothing more than hype at best. More like fraud if you ask me.

I was originally quoted $1000.00 and four to six weeks to re-chrome my grill at a classic car event where they had a tent. After I packed it up and shipped it to them they then wanted $1900.00. We agreed on $1400.00.

I waited over three months. When I called to check on it, all I got was lame excuses and it seemed like nobody really knew what was going on.

When it was finally finished they told me it was "flawless" and I paid in full with a credit card.
After I got it back via FedEx it was the worst chrome job I have ever seen.
There were bubbles, pits, scratches and dents that weren't even there before.
Some areas didn't get plated at all. There are so many flaws I can't believe these idiots could send out a job looking like that.
They either lack any sort of quality control or they just don't care. In any case their claim of "show chrome" is ridiculous.
The entire grill will have to be done over.

I contacted them to see if this was some kind of joke or something. I sent them pictures of this poor excuse for chrome.
They told me that's all we can do and refused to anything about it. Well, I believe that's all they can do. JUNK CHROME.

I have been lied to and brushed off throughout the entire process and now I am stuck with a grill that looks worse than it did when I sent it to them.
I paid top dollar for this work and got garbage. I am now out $1400.00.

Do not believe what these jerks tell you. Once you send them your parts you are at their mercy.
They charge your credit card and refuse to stand behind their work. They are over priced and a poor excuse for "show chrome".
They have your money and you will have to take whatever junk they send back to you.

I also see now that they are rated F by the Better Business Bureau. Check for yourself at BBB.org.

It's too late for me but not for you. Do not do business with this RIP-OFF company.
Attached Images
scratches1.jpg (38.8 KB, 123 views)
scratches2.jpg (74.7 KB, 118 views)
bubbles1.jpg (65.9 KB, 121 views)
bubbles2.jpg (65.6 KB, 130 views)
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:42 AM

Great I have a bumper down there right now. I know this company was bought out by someone else maybe that's the problem. Sure hope my bumper doesn't look like your grill.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by [FONT=Arial
It's too late for me but not for you. Do not do business with this RIP-OFF company. [/FONT]
Wow I'm pretty surprised to hear and see this. Although I was a little disappointed to have to send my bumper back (it got scuffed in shipping), they completely made up for it by doing it over again for no charge and I even got them to redo a pair of bumper guards for me for the inconvenience. Everything came back looking just gorgeous and for the exact amount I was told when quoted.

Who did you deal with there? I spoke with Charlie about the shipping damage and he was more than happy to take care of me. $1400 seems excessive for a grille too. I wonder what happened here but thanks for the heads up. Now we all know to be on the alert! I would definitely put up a big stink and write a letter to them about this. Make sure you mention how you are a member of numerous car clubs and forums. Most companies respond to things like that because they don't want the bad publicity!

Good luck!
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM

Unhappy

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how they shipped it back. All five pieces tossed in a box with one piece of bubble wrap. I ask them to save the box and shipping material used to send it to them because i spent a fortune on it but noooo. I mainly talked with Charlie too. He is just a stooge. I then spoke to his superior Steve Wilmot. According to his business card he is the "Business Developement Manager"? He is the one who originally gave me the quote. All he did was play games and talk trash to me and try to make me feel like a bigger fool than I already am for doing business with them in the first place. I tell you, these guys are real a--h----.
I don't know what happened here but I really got the shaft. I have heard other talk about good work. Maybe it's just them doing all the posting. They do have alot going on with the inet, hype. Wouldn't surprise me.
Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Ogden Chrome for plating?