'96 ciera sl,major problem,help

Old November 29th, 2011, 07:48 AM

'96 ciera sl,major problem,help

seems the kids car is hurt,need help where to start with some codes
b0300b,p0441b,p1106d have come up,car won't start now,I'm not quite sure where to start in trying to track down the problems,crap was in hopes of playing with the 455 rebuild today but plans have changed
anyone save me some time with these codes in trying to find a place to start here??????
thanks people,
Mike
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by mrmcd65
seems the kids car is hurt,need help where to start with some codes
b0300b,p0441b,p1106d have come up,car won't start now,I'm not quite sure where to start in trying to track down the problems,crap was in hopes of playing with the 455 rebuild today but plans have changed
anyone save me some time with these codes in trying to find a place to start here??????
thanks people,
Mike
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
P1106 MAP Sensor Signal Intermittent High

Old November 29th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
P1106 MAP Sensor Signal Intermittent High
I'm sure he's glad he asked!
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Better than code Z0999 - GENERAL ENGINE MALFUNCTION
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM

what engine is in the car? if you clear the codes do any return? does it have spark and fuel pressure?
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:12 PM

sorry if you interpret these questions as elementary, but the bottom line is whether a computer is in control or not you still need 3 things to start - an appropriate mixture of fuel/air, compression of above stated mixture, and spark at the correct time. This is how ALL no start diagnosis should begin (after making sure that the battery is good and there is adequate voltage available when cranking (above 10.5 volts). The codes you mention are not necessarily directly related to a no start, but could be a fair indication of events that led to it.
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Of the codes listed, the P0300 sets while the engine is running within certain parameters. Misfires are not monitored during start (or probably at idle on that vintage but may be). The P0441 can only be set during a running condition as to have purge flow you must have vacuum which is created by running engine. The MAP sensor signal intermittant high may (I would have to double check) be able to be set while not running, but it is much more likely that it also set while running. If memory serves me correctly that car has only a MAP and no MAF, which means that all base fuel calculations are performed off of the MAP reading. If the MAP is reading wrong it can affect the fuel mixture to the point of not starting. If you have a scanner, not just a code reader, you can read the value from the map - it should read barometric pressure for your altitude with the key on and the engine off. If it a quad 4 and you are wondering how the H*&& to check spark let me know - there are tricks :-)
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Why not just replace the MAP and be done with it? It's a part that's known to fail. An easy one to replace too. Same sensor for the 3.1 or 2.4 40.00 at O'Reilly's. Install the new one, fire it up, let the ECM pick up the values and restore normal operation. IMO the reason it won't start is the MAP is giving wrong values to the ECM.
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:19 PM

Pretty much everybody beat me to it
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:49 PM

thank you all for the info,the was running when she took to get the tranny looked at ,had to tow it home,what a drag but nonetheless got it here,opened it up to see if it could breath a little(opened air intake and sliced the pipe just prior to cat. converter) turned the key rotated maybe twice and siezed,aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
think it's dead for now going to look for another engine tommorrow,map sensor is what I thought of changing first but it didn't make it that far!!
I am impressed at the the response guys,thank you!!!!!!!!!
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sorry to hear you didn't get a chance to find out. Was it the 3.1 or 2.4? There are tons of those engines in the boneyard. Might as well pick out a nice one and do a rebuild. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a decent runner on CL around your area?