The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I don't foresee a major problem or do I

Old March 13th, 2015, 05:55 PM

I don't foresee a major problem or do I

I have been slowly getting ready for our upcoming road trip to Canada and needed a passport, no problem except the date of birth on my birth certificate is off by two days from what is known to be true by the whole family and what I have on all other legal papers from 1948 and later. Soooo not wanting to poke the proverbial government bear while it sleeps I have just listed my birth as it reads on my birth certificate and to day I have received my new passport and I'm good to go ...I hope. Anyone foresee a problem arsing at the border later this year...... Tedd
Old March 13th, 2015, 05:57 PM

Nope, your good to go, enjoy the trip!
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:04 PM

Where in the great white north are you travelling to?
It's a big country, a lot bigger than on the map.
REMEMBER no guns!! even if you have a carry permit leave it at home.

Last edited by Oldskeeper; March 13th, 2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:42 PM

Quesnel BC. is the destination, I here they have a good car show there and I will leave all my ordnance at home (this time) though I will feel naked and afraid...Tedd
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:54 PM

quesnel is a nice little town, nice drive to get there too. make sure you go thru the canyon at least one way. not just the coquihala. and yeah, clean out your car
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson View Post
... I will leave all my ordnance at home...
The tough part is the stray ammo - most Americans wouldn't think twice about a round rattling around in an armrest or the glove compartment, but if they happen to find it on the other side of the border, you can be in big trouble, so if you've ever had a piece or a box of ammo in the car, it's not a bad idea to give it a quick check.

As for the birthday, don't worry about it.
Your passport is the holy grail of truth. Everything else is just a nasty rumor.
I spent the first sixteen years of my life believing that I had a middle name.
When I went to get my driver's license, I was told in no uncertain terms that I did not.
So, fine, if they ask, I don't have a middle name. Easy.
Same with you... Happy Birthday!

- Eric
Old March 13th, 2015, 11:30 PM

I have been slowly getting ready for our upcoming road trip to Canada and needed a passport, no problem except the date of birth on my birth certificate is off by two days from what is known to be true by the whole family and what I have on all other legal papers from 1948 and later. Soooo not wanting to poke the proverbial government bear while it sleeps I have just listed my birth as it reads on my birth certificate and to day I have received my new passport and I'm good to go ...I hope. Anyone foresee a problem arsing at the border later this year...... Tedd
We travel to Victoria 3-4 times a year..... If you have never been, here are some things to think about.....
If your DOB on your passport is different than that of your Driver's license, it may be a problem. Misdemeanor traffic offenses such as DUI or Driving while suspended (no matter how far back in your history) are felonies there and they may not let you in.
If you have any conflicts, keep the American Consulate Phone number at your port of entry handy, you might need it. Oh yeah, and no weapons of any kind.
BonVoyage!!! you are going to love it there!!! Don't ask for a napkin... that is what they call diapers.... ask for a serviet!!
Old March 14th, 2015, 08:05 AM

Back in the day before 9/11 we often traveled to Canada and a passport wasn't a issue. I've heard since then that things have changed considerable.I would hate to have my car torn apart because of a misplaced 22 shell and there probably are a few bouncing around in the glove box as we speak so I will address that as time gets shorter.

My wife graduated high school from Quesnel and that is why were headed that way, we have friends there that come down every year as snow birds and spend a few days with us as they migrate to Mexico or Arizona for the winter. I thought we would reciprocate this year plus there is a car show there, two birds one stone.

My drivers licence is different from my passport but I won't tell if you don't. That why I was asking on my first post.I'm just trying to keep from having a problem at the border, I wouldn't think there would be but like I said before it's been a while since I was in Canada.

And as far as firearms in Canada goes most Canadians who aren't city dwellers generally are as well armed as us Yanks.... Just my observation...Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; March 17th, 2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old March 14th, 2015, 08:17 AM

Back in the day before 9/11 we often traveled to Canada and a passport wasn't a issue. I've herd since then that things have changed considerable.I would hate to have my car torn apart because of a misplaced 22 shell and there probably are a few bouncing around in the glove box as we speak so I will address that as time gets shorter.

My wife graduated high school from Quesnel and that is why were headed that way, we have friends there that come down every year as snow birds and spend a few days with us as they migrate to Mexico or Arizona for the winter. I thought we would reciprocate this year plus there is a car show there, two birds one stone.

My drivers licence is different from my passport but I won't tell if you don't. That why I was asking on my first post.I'm just trying to keep from having a problem at the border, I wouldn't think there would be but like I sad before it's been a while since I was in Canada.

And as far as firearms in Canada goes most Canadians who aren't city dwellers generally are as well armed as us Yanks.... Just my observation...Tedd
i'm sure as long as you dont get stopped by RCMP you will be fine. I would take my drivers license and go to DMV with my passport and my birth certificate and say hey.... I just noticed this typo here..... and get a new one. JMHO
Old March 14th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Senior Moment Member

You're going to end up in Gitmo.
Old March 14th, 2015, 08:48 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Maybe so, but they are Canadian citizens, you aren't. Play by their rules and you should have a great time.

Roger.
Old March 14th, 2015, 02:21 PM

I think the west coast is the best part of Canada being from Ontario, very diverse group of people. I personally like Vancouver island more than the mainland but that's just me.
Have a great time and post lots of pictures of the car show and take a rain coat just in case.
Steve
Old March 14th, 2015, 04:04 PM

Enjoy your trip to Beautiful British Columbia. The locals are friendly. The beer is strong. We have the highest speed limits in Canada. And of course you know Quesnel is pronounced "Kwe-nelle" LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
imagesCAABTJBK.jpg (15.2 KB, 5 views)
Old March 14th, 2015, 08:08 PM

Speed limits

Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
Enjoy your trip to Beautiful British Columbia. The locals are friendly. The beer is strong. We have the highest speed limits in Canada. And of course you know Quesnel is pronounced "Kwe-nelle" LOL
Please explain to this AB resident this claim to having the highest speed limits in Canada. Other than the Coquihala is there any where else that 120 km/hr is legal? Besides that as someone who works all over AB and BC posted speed limits have nothing to do with the speeds users drive.

enjoy your trip to Canada

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; March 14th, 2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old March 14th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

How fast can you really go riding a walrus anyway?

- Eric
Old March 14th, 2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave View Post
Please explain to this AB resident this claim to having the highest speed limits in Canada. Other than the Coquihala is there any where else that 120 km/hr is legal? Besides that as someone who works all over AB and BC posted speed limits have nothing to do with the speeds users drive.

enjoy your trip to Canada
The Island Highway and the Okanagan Connector are 120K too. Bottom line, fastest "legal" speed limits.
Old March 14th, 2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic View Post
How fast can you really go riding a walrus anyway?

- Eric
Looks more like the north east US than the MILD winter BC had lol. The cherry blossoms are in full bloom, shirt sleeve weather.
Old March 14th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
Looks more like the north east US...
Yeah, you got me there - That's our mailman.

- Eric
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:50 AM

I enjoyed reading the regular updates on your other trip.
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:17 AM

. Soooo not wanting to poke the proverbial government bear while it sleeps Tedd
Very smart move. I poked the government bear one time and the Social Security Admin listed me as dead. Try proving you are who you are without any form identification that is a of derivative of a Social Security Number. This was a 2 year ordeal to get corrected. Watch 60 minutes tonight on TV.
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:38 AM

I'm not to worried about speed or speed limits, though 75 -80 (MPH not KM) is doable it's not much fun in a open car, just to much wind noise and you can't talk to your partner without yelling plus you miss to much. We try and take back roads and actually see the country often get side tracked and end up a 100 miles from the intended destination we planed in the morning. It's a neat way to vacation.

The plans as of now are to skirt up the Oregon Washington coast (love the coast) and somewhere before Seattle turn north east and wonder north.Plans may change but half the fun of a road trip is in the planning....Tedd
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:12 AM

I'm not to worried about speed or speed limits, though 75 -80 (MPH not KM) is doable it's not much fun in a open car, just to much wind noise and you can't talk to your partner without yelling plus you miss to much. We try and take back roads and actually see the country often get side tracked and end up a 100 miles from the intended destination we planed in the morning. It's a neat way to vacation.

The plans as of now are to skirt up the Oregon Washington coast (love the coast) and somewhere before Seattle turn north east and wonder north.Plans may change but half the fun of a road trip is in the planning....Tedd

Avoid Seattle if you can. Cross from OR into WA & stay west in the Olympic Penninsula. Seattle traffic is nasty & the OP is awesome. Work your way up to Anacortes then east to the Chukanut Trail & north into Old Fairhaven (Historic Bellingham). From there you are @ the WA/BC border in 45 min.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; March 15th, 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:36 AM

Just make sure the car is clean of anything. Those border patrol people, both ways, take pleasure in ripping your car into pieces, then telling you you can go, and you get to put it back together. They have no respect for personal property, no respect for anyone, and they are the pure embodiment of stupid, low class people given thug like authority over everyone. Classic psychology, if you want a sadistic police person, take someone who has been intellectually disadvantaged and picked on his whole life, give him the power, and stand back, and you have your own Little Hitler. This is why you can have too high of an IQ to be a policeman (and this is true, google it.)
Old March 16th, 2015, 08:46 PM

Oh...LEGAL speed...oops...

If you head east of Seattle, try to check out the Red Horse Diner in Ellensburg, Washington. Very cool diner and rest stop. http://www.redhorsediner.com/
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:39 AM

Cant wait to do my first west coast drive next year. Might have to take two. One for me so I can hit all the wrecking yards and car spots and one for the both of us just to see the sights...
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty View Post
Oh...LEGAL speed...oops...

If you head east of Seattle, try to check out the Red Horse Diner in Ellensburg, Washington. Very cool diner and rest stop. http://www.redhorsediner.com/
Thanks for the Red Horse Diner info we are putting together a list of potential dates and stops, It will probably change a lot before we cast off on our argosy but more is better than less....Tedd