81 oldsmobile cutlass no ignition power

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2015, 02:12 PM

Post 81 oldsmobile cutlass no ignition power

I was fixing my starter when I accidently touched the wire to the block and I heard a pop and now I have no power to my ignition and half of my fuse box is dead? People keep telling me I blew a fuse or a rely but I cant find anything blown also everything has power when I test it with the key off but when I turn the key forward the testing light turns off any ideas about whats going on would be greatly appriated!!?!?!
Old August 10th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RandyLee23
I was fixing my starter when I accidently touched the wire to the block and I heard a pop and now I have no power to my ignition and half of my fuse box is dead? People keep telling me I blew a fuse or a rely but I cant find anything blown also everything has power when I test it with the key off but when I turn the key forward the testing light turns off any ideas about whats going on would be greatly appriated!!?!?!
Welcome. You blew a fusible link. When these cars were built, MaxiFuses didn't exist, so GM used a short section of wire called a fusible link for high-current main lines. This section of wire actually melts like a fuse to protect the rest of the car. On your car, there should be two smaller red wires that go to the same threaded terminal on the starter as the positive battery cable. Both of those are fusible links. I suspect one of them will need to be replaced. NAPA sells replacement fusible links.