76 Cutlass 350/455 chassis differences

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2016, 07:38 AM

76 Cutlass 350/455 chassis differences

On search for brighter tomorrow. Sure.

Ive been collecting info about engine swap to my car, pulling worn and tired smog 350 out of it, and replacing it with 455. Swap itself is clear thanks to good and plenty topics about it over the internet.

Im asking here about differences in brake and suspension parts in 76 Cutlass S between 350 and 455 engines.
In order to get it inspected here, my car must have same suspension and brake parts than 455-equipped would had have from factory; at minimum.

I have FE2-suspension package on my Cut, otherwise stock parts. Variable ratio power steering and power-assisted brakes.
Did 455 equipped ones use same size brakes than my 350. Discs up front, drums rear of course. Same brake calibers up front?
Did it have same diameter disc between either engine?

Different (stiffer) springs on front i assume- how about shocks?
Did rear suspension differ between 350 and 455 equipped ones?
Or tire size? I have original SSII´s under my car.

Any differences in sway-bar thicknesses?

Thanks for any help you can give- for last ill ask if someone knows a source ( whetever it be free or not) which defines the differences on suspensions and brake parts between 350 and 455-engined variants,
or just specifies original suspension parts and brake parts on 455-engined including part numbers, so i can reference to that and show it to inspector.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Inline; February 6th, 2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old February 6th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Inline
On search for brighter tomorrow. Sure.

Ive been collecting info about engine swap to my car, pulling worn and tired smog 350 out of it, and replacing it with 455. Swap itself is clear thanks to good and plenty topics about it over the internet.

Im asking here about differences in brake and suspension parts in 76 Cutlass S between 350 and 455 engines.
In order to get it inspected here, my car must have same suspension and brake parts than 455-equipped would had have from factory; at minimum.

I have FE2-suspension package on my Cut, otherwise stock parts. Variable ratio power steering and power-assisted brakes.
Did 455 equipped ones use same size brakes than my 350. Discs up front, drums rear of course. Same brake calibers up front?
Did it have same diameter disc between either engine?

Different (stiffer) springs on front i assume- how about shocks?
Did rear suspension differ between 350 and 455 equipped ones?
Or tire size? I have original SSII´s under my car.

Any differences in sway-bar thicknesses?

Thanks for any help you can give- for last ill ask if someone knows a source ( whetever it be free or not) which defines the differences on suspensions and brake parts between 350 and 455-engined variants,
or just specifies original suspension parts and brake parts on 455-engined including part numbers, so i can reference to that and show it to inspector.

Many thanks.
Brakes should be the same - 10.75" rotors in front and 11x2 drums in the back. Spring rates varied slightly, but frankly, how can they tell? The ID tags on the springs used to identify them on the assembly line are likely long gone. The difference in weight between a 350 and 455 is well under 100 lbs - likely closer to 50 lbs. You can lean on the front fender and see how much difference that makes. Sway bars are more a function of the suspension options than the engine. FE2 parts were used with both motors.

The Chassis Service Manual will have most of this info for proof. Sway bars and brake sizes are spelled out there. Spring rates may or may not be listed.
Old February 6th, 2016, 07:52 AM

Okay, many thanks. I will get that Chassis Service Manual then and use it as proof.
It dont matter there does it make any difference, they are just so picky when changing power plant and inspecting it, that every part in chassis must be same than out of factory, or no stamp and no permission to drive. And they use magnifying glass to actually find those part numbers from your car.
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:10 AM

Well, if they want to see a certain part number on your springs then make a label with that PN and install it. Voila. It's now that part. Jeeez. They going to ck your alternator belt too? The oxygen/nitrogen air mix in the tires? Make sure you have bias ply tires and not radials? What if you put [much better] disk brakes on a drum brakes car?
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Gary

Chris, you're being logical. Inline is dealing with government.
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Well, if they want to see a certain part number on your springs then make a label with that PN and install it. Voila. It's now that part. Jeeez. They going to ck your alternator belt too? The oxygen/nitrogen air mix in the tires? Make sure you have bias ply tires and not radials? What if you put [much better] disk brakes on a drum brakes car?
I said at minimum must be as left the factory; ofc disc would be accepted then instead of drums.

I give very easy example of our inspection, and true.
You go inspect your Volvo 740, which had 2,3 litre N/A engine.
You upgrade it to factory Turbo engine, change brakes accordingly..
Ding, no stamp, you didnt change your 19mm front sway bar to 23mm used in original turbo. Thats how our inspection "works"..
Im not making these rules, its our lovely government.