73-77 Olds guys, how many here?

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2019, 08:16 PM

Engine mods

Engine bay will hopefully look a little better at end of the year,after I get the rear done the motor I am getting edelbrock heads and performer rpm intake and a roller valve train include a hydraulic roller cam,still haven't made up my mind on van lift or choice yet. Looking to get near the 400 to 450(maybe) go mark. Any recommendations or opinions on cam choice or lift?
Old March 28th, 2019, 08:18 PM

Spell check,ugh

Meant CAM,not van. Lol
Old November 20th, 2019, 06:01 AM

77 Cutlass Supreme Brougham

Last year I bought a 1977 Cutlass Supreme Brougham that was totally restored by a gentleman in Ohio. He did a phenomenal job restoring it and added some really cool extra features. When I bought the car, it was all black and I am slowly trying to make it look like the first Cutlass I bought back in 77. I have has a vinyl roof installed, pinstriped the car, had new seatbelts installed, package tray, period correct radio, dash clock, new carpet, and had the interior plastic panels painted. I only have a couple of things to address like the correct SSII Wheels and tires, and I do have a couple of really minor cracks in the dash that I would love to address, but finding there is really no easy or inexpensive solution. I enjoy driving it and taking it to shows, but even though they made over 600,000 77 Cutlasses, I have only seen one other 77 Cutlass at a show in New England.
Old November 20th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Pat

Very Nice Sal!
Old February 12th, 2020, 11:15 PM

All 73-77's crushed or what?
Old February 13th, 2020, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
There are still plenty to be had here in the states .I still see a fair amount of parts available as well.There is a 73-77 Facebook group you may want to check out.
Old February 13th, 2020, 07:33 AM

Haha, write it just to wake this topic up Didnt mean literally.
Old February 13th, 2020, 07:49 AM

kind of a lull here for me . We are locked into winter here in the northeast all I can do is look at the 76 .I read your post half asleep myself .
Old February 13th, 2020, 09:15 PM

No problem My 76 is at garage or whatever you call it. On old brick factory. Engine waiting pushrods, then its time to lift it back to engine bay. Were getting near! Finally may i add.
Hows others?
Old March 15th, 2020, 11:45 AM

Smile Mines a 1974

Triple black 74 cutlass supreme 455. Need to get the a/c going and better exhaust system .

74 cutlass supreme 75 riviera 82 gmc 6.2 diesel

Last edited by Unclefuf; December 2nd, 2020 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old March 28th, 2020, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Unclefuf
Triple black 74 cutlass supreme 455. Need to get the a/c going and better exhaust system .
Any pics to share? Welcome!
Old March 29th, 2020, 10:07 AM

Nope!! I know mine aren't crushed! I am waiting for the salt to get washed off the roads better, here in NY. Hopefully, soon!
Old April 1st, 2020, 06:06 PM

Just subscribed.... Picking up a 75 W30 H/O this weekend, not to bad and it's complete.... Can't wait to ride it around with the T-Tops off. He has another 75 W25 H/O in pieces kinda rusty... Might pick it up later as well for my girl... Nobody's really into them but I've always had a thing for them.

Old April 1st, 2020, 09:41 PM

Welcome!

Nice find. But how is the roof? Looks to be rusty..? Hardest one to repair. Does it have original engine and trans Still in Place? Post more pictures when you get them.
Old April 1st, 2020, 09:44 PM

Welcome!

Nice find. But how is the roof? Looks to be rusty..? Hardest one to repair. Does it have original engine and trans Still in Place? Post more pictures when you get them.
Roof looks fine I have more pictures of it I'll post when it gets here Saturday the only rust there is, is in the driver's front floor pan I would imagine from the t-top leaking the quarters are fine lower front fenders are bubbling a little bit on one side other than that it's pretty good and it's all original everything is there I'm hoping that it even has the original optioned LED tachometer on the front of the console.
Old April 29th, 2020, 01:43 PM

I have a 74' Cutlass Salon, Been working on the resto on the weekends. Any one know of a good rebuild kit for the 350? I want to get some more power out of it while keeping the original 350 Olds Rocket!

After Body Restoration and soft top removal.
Old April 30th, 2020, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by spikehockey75
I have a 74' Cutlass Salon, Been working on the resto on the weekends. Any one know of a good rebuild kit for the 350? I want to get some more power out of it while keeping the original 350 Olds Rocket!

After Body Restoration and soft top removal.
Bill Travato is a good one to check out. I would check on Amazon or Barnes and Nobles and buy his book on rebuilding the Oldsmobile V8. Lots of great info in that one. Your engine, with early number 7 heads , and a Performer intake, with the matching cam, and valvesprings, using the original quadrajet with a recurve kit in the distributor, makes a very good running, streetable, and long lasting engine. Or, to build more power, at a higher rpm, use earlier 455 Olds heads, and a Performer RPM intake. Fel Pro gaskets, Speed pro pistons, Melling oil pump, with a Milodon oil pan and matching pickup, to give a bit more reserve capacity at higher rpm. I love the big engines, but the 350 is a very strong performer, when built right. The '68-'76 solid web blocks are a good foundation too. A bit more gearing, such as a 3.42, will help rouind out the combo as well.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 12:23 AM

Oh yeah! 4 door! Id trade my Cutlass S to 4 door any day and minute. Nice.

Which speaking of, is waiting the final parts to complete it finally. Well- been waiting for a month now, Freight arrival estimate just keeps getting longer and longer, but hope to have all at my hands at end of may. Fuel is currently too cheap to not drive it like you stole it.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 03:39 AM

Nice! Also, IIRC, a 4dr Salon is very (well, relatively) rare for 74.
Old June 6th, 2020, 06:10 PM

Hi
Newbie here.
I was a member of the 73-77 forum. I've owned 5 of the 1976-77 Cutlasses over the last 35 years. I was without one for a couple of years and recently acquired another one and was surprised to find out the old forum had been pretty much abandoned
I'm glad this site exists but our cars seem lost here
May i ask what happened?

Last edited by 76Limey; June 6th, 2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old June 6th, 2020, 07:40 PM

Welcome..you sound very familiar..prob from the old 73-77 site..
not really sure what happened..of course, our cars are the rodneys here for the most part...good group of people...just their interests are in another direction..
glad you were able to find a new ride..
Old June 6th, 2020, 11:11 PM

Hello and welcome aboard.

Cant comment about 73-77 Olds, other than it seemed dead years back, and was next to impossible to get joined.

But here we have an good space to chat about our 73-77. Care to share any pictures?
Old June 6th, 2020, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bill G
Nice! Also, IIRC, a 4dr Salon is very (well, relatively) rare for 74.
Really? I mean I know they are rare simply because 4 door parts are non existent.... Moldings, door panels anything 4 door specific.. lol
Old June 7th, 2020, 12:03 AM

Is there any direct-fit exhaust system even designed for 73-77 Cutlass's? Havent found out any. Would of been nice to just bolt one up, but seems you need to fabricate one from parts or various universal kits..
Old June 7th, 2020, 05:23 AM

These are just some shots i took when i first got it
Paint is not original, but color is
I've known this car since it was new
Original owner purchased a new Caprice and since nobody was impressed, he took it back and got this
A short few years later, he committed suicide and the car went to his sister. She was married and had a young family
Over time the car was used by each kid as a first car and even for awhile on the farm as they were without a truck temporarily
The car was used and abused and rusting away when they got tired of it and parked it
I was always working on it even in the state it was in
I'd just clean and wax around the rust
I just couldn't bear to see it die
I fell in love with it the first time i saw it
They finally felt sorry for me i guess and paid to have it restored
The husband of the sister i mentioned earlier died 2 years ago and had requested they give the car to me
They did and I'll never get rid of it
It's a family member
Old June 7th, 2020, 05:38 AM

rare, in that not many were built..after the Salon coupe was made available for 74, most buyers opted for it.. i think i have production numbers around somewhere..will post when i find them..iirc, about 30k salon packages were made in 74..less than 5k 4drs..
info is scarce since Olds had a fire that destroyed the records from that period..
Old June 7th, 2020, 05:40 AM

Really? I mean I know they are rare simply because 4 door parts are non existent.... Moldings, door panels anything 4 door specific.. lol
btw.. theres a bigtime 73-77 guy in arvada..he knows tons about these cars..
Old June 7th, 2020, 05:46 AM

Is there any direct-fit exhaust system even designed for 73-77 Cutlass's? Haven't found out any. Would of been nice to just bolt one up, but seems you need to fabricate one from parts or various universal kits..
Walker used to make one..single exhaust might be around, but prob not dual exhaust..
I bought one years ago that supposedly fit..right side was perfect..the left was really tight - tailpipe has the hammer marks..
hemmings is a good source to check with the Olds offerings..the ones that do up to 1972 MAY be able to provide you with a set..nobody advertises them because demand is not high..
Old June 7th, 2020, 08:26 AM

Seems like buying something like flowmaster u-fit generic kits etc are the best bet, and fabricating them up from there. And yeah; dual exhaust is what i was after.

Shame.
Old June 7th, 2020, 10:24 AM

from classiccardatabase.com.. (probably not completely reliable, but close..) (Also, technically a Salon was a Supreme w/Y78 option):
1974 Cutlass:
Cutlass 2dr 16,063
Cutlass 4dr 25,718
Cutlass S 2dr: 50,860
Cutlass Supreme 2dr 772,360
Cutlass Supreme 4dr 25,718
Cutlass Salon 2dr 31,207
Cutlass Salon 4dr 6,766
Think i wrote them down right..

Old June 14th, 2020, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 76Limey

These are just some shots i took when i first got it
Paint is not original, but color is
I've known this car since it was new
Original owner purchased a new Caprice and since nobody was impressed, he took it back and got this
A short few years later, he committed suicide and the car went to his sister. She was married and had a young family
Over time the car was used by each kid as a first car and even for awhile on the farm as they were without a truck temporarily
The car was used and abused and rusting away when they got tired of it and parked it
I was always working on it even in the state it was in
I'd just clean and wax around the rust
I just couldn't bear to see it die
I fell in love with it the first time i saw it
They finally felt sorry for me i guess and paid to have it restored
The husband of the sister i mentioned earlier died 2 years ago and had requested they give the car to me
They did and I'll never get rid of it
It's a family member
Just from these couple of pics it looks like a dandy car. Might even glow in the dark with that paint...awesome. The story is as great as the car.

Good luck.
Old June 14th, 2020, 06:21 PM

Seems like buying something like flowmaster u-fit generic kits etc are the best bet, and fabricating them up from there. And yeah; dual exhaust is what i was after.

Shame.
I purchased a 3" from header to bumper X-pipe system a few years ago for my '73. It was a mom&pop operation which is now out of business. It fit well, the X-pipe is a pain, don't think I would do that again trying to make everything fit. 3" over the axle is another issue, clearances are in the 1/4" range. I think I would do an H-pipe next time, and have a muffler shop build it for me if they had a mandrel bender, and maybe go 2 1/2" instead of 3".
Old June 30th, 2020, 06:58 PM

I need a 76-77 owner with ac to show/tell me where the main vacuum line comes through the firewall and to the engine. I can find no trace on mine and my 74 parts car is no help as it is totally different. (the 74 has several lines going through the firewall near the distributor, the 76 firewall is factory plugged at that spot). Thanks!
Old June 30th, 2020, 08:21 PM

I don’t have a 76-77 anymore , but a 74 that needs a/c control from the dash. Do you happen to have one? The 76 I put in doesn’t seem to work. The guy that got the 76 I had bought for parts has since sold it, so I’m of no help. 😐
Old June 30th, 2020, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Summerof84
I need a 76-77 owner with ac to show/tell me where the main vacuum line comes through the firewall and to the engine. I can find no trace on mine and my 74 parts car is no help as it is totally different. (the 74 has several lines going through the firewall near the distributor, the 76 firewall is factory plugged at that spot). Thanks!
I happen to have 76, factory AC and motor out of the bay... Great for taking pictures! Ill take em at weekend if noone havent.
Old July 1st, 2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Unclefuf
I don’t have a 76-77 anymore , but a 74 that needs a/c control from the dash. Do you happen to have one? The 76 I put in doesn’t seem to work. The guy that got the 76 I had bought for parts has since sold it, so I’m of no help. 😐
I have discovered that there were two different setups. The standard one is just 6 or so vacuum lines for defrost, heater, bilevel etc. The other style is probably the Tempmatic, it has an additional group of 4-5 hoses in a separate cluster.

I expected the vacuum line on my 76 to be with the wiring harness coming through the firewall under the AC components when I found the firewall plugged off by the distributor, but I can't even spot a broken off nub under there.
Old September 17th, 2020, 11:11 PM

New guy here. I got a 76 Cutlass Salon with 27,500 miles from an estate in British Columbia. Has the Tempmatic AC system. I don't think the car has ever been messed with other than maintenance items. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Old September 18th, 2020, 02:41 AM

Welcome-looking forward to pics..76 was the most popular Olds Cutlass year, but not too many left..
BG
74 Salon

Old September 18th, 2020, 11:14 PM

Hello and welcome to the crowd.

Best looking Cutlass's ever ( 73-77). What it has under the hood? Trans? And those pictures of course!
Old December 2nd, 2020, 06:50 PM

74 cutlass supreme 455 , just took the time to load photos!

The 74

The herd 82 gmc 6.2 diesel 75 riviera, and cutlass

Quick Reply: 73-77 Olds guys, how many here?