72 cutlass power steering gearbox

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2018, 11:44 AM

72 cutlass power steering gearbox

I need a new gearbox and I'm trying to find one on AAP's website, but they have multiples listed. Cutlass and CS have different gearboxes, don't they? Are there other differences I have to look out for?
Old November 7th, 2018, 01:49 PM
72 Olds CS

I dont know if cutlass and supreme have different steering gears but i doubt it.

I got a fast ratio box from rockauto, uses the original hoses and comes w new coupler..

Under $200 and a very nice upgrade
Old November 7th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tiberian Fiend
I need a new gearbox and I'm trying to find one on AAP's website, but they have multiples listed. Cutlass and CS have different gearboxes, don't they? Are there other differences I have to look out for?
I don't know who AAP is, but the Saginaw boxes interchange on pretty much all 1964-1988 RWD Cutlii (and GM cars in general). The late 70s-up boxes have metric fittings and o-ring seal instead of inverted flare, but otherwise they interchange. I've used Lares. They have standard ratio, 12.7:1, and quicker. Frankly, I don't think I'd go any quicker than 12.7. Also pay attention to the torsion bar diameter in the control valve. Larger diameter is higher effort steering.
Old November 7th, 2018, 06:57 PM

AAP = Advance Auto Parts. They've got Lares part № 970, 971, 972, as well as a Cardone part № 27-6537. I guess the only difference is the steering ratio. Can my old gearbox be turned in as a core for any of them?
Old December 27th, 2018, 08:23 PM

Old post...not sure if you purchased a new box yet. I agree with Joe, I tried the lares 972 box and did not like it. Returned it for the 970 box. Just a note, they are set very loose, in my opinion. Plenty of room to tighten but be careful not to over tighten because it voids warranty.
Old December 28th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jerseyjoe
Just a note, they are set very loose, in my opinion. Plenty of room to tighten but be careful not to over tighten because it voids warranty.
Do NOT simply turn the screw on the top cover to adjust the backlash in the box. This is not how it is done. The power boxes are adjusted differently from the manual boxes and adjustment is performed with the adjuster plug on the input shafte end of the box. Read the CSM for the proper process. Simply turning that all-too-easy-to-access adjuster screw can damage the box.