70 rear bumper swap?

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM

70 rear bumper swap?

Getting the Cutlass out of storage next weekend and my first project will be swapping on my cutout bumper from the Parts Place. My question is what it the least painfull way to do it? It looks like the lights get swapped after the bumper is off and before installing the new one. I work at a muffler shop so the tailpipes won't be an issue.

Any helpful tips/tricks would be appreciated

Dan
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM

I agree with you on the lights, including the license plate and backup lights. I also like to bolt the brackets to the bumper, then with the help of friends or a floor jack with padding lift it up and attach the furthest bolt on each bracket. Then put the other two in and carefully align things without wacking the body of your car. I've done it by myself but it would be easier with a couple buddys to support it while you put the bolts in. John
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I agree with you on the lights, including the license plate and backup lights. I also like to bolt the brackets to the bumper, then with the help of friends or a floor jack with padding lift it up and attach the furthest bolt on each bracket. Then put the other two in and carefully align things without wacking the body of your car. I've done it by myself but it would be easier with a couple buddys to support it while you put the bolts in. John
X2 - Great advice from John.
I would also suggest you get the clearances from the bumper to trunk lid and quarter (extensions if Supreme) exactly right before you put the exhaust trumpets in. Most of the bumpers are pretty easy install, just awkward because of the size. One trick you might use when installing the bumper - put at least 2 or 3 layers of masking tape around the areas where the bumper may come into contact with the paint to avoid any scratching or chipping. You're on the right track. Take pics and post when done ok?
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:24 AM

Yes, tape off and pad anything you don't want scratched. The gap between the trunk lid and bumper should be looked at, too close and you run the risk of gouging the top of the bumper when closing trunk lid.

I used the box the new bumper came in to assist me while removing/propping up old and new bumper. And it probably took me a half a day to fine tune the adjustments to get the bumper centered the way I liked it.

d1
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Of course you'll need the correct tail pipe hangers to get them lined up with the notches.
Old April 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, lots of helpful info there

Will try to get some before and after pics up soon.