68/69 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Not old but Olds

Wink 68/69 Olds Cutlass Supreme

I guess its time to post my project to the site, and show the restoration process as it comes together. I bought this car off of craigslist for a thousand dollars and dont regret it at all. It had a dying starter and had not moved for a couple years. It was a pain to get started. The back tires were rotted out and the battery was dead. It needed a new battery, new battery cables, and a new starter. It has a slow transmission leak and was about 5 quarts low after sitting for 2 years (which a quart every 6 months aint to bad). Other than the starting problem and small leak I wasnt sure what I was getting myself into. All I knew was that I been wanting an old school Cutlass since I sold my last one 10 years ago. I told the lady that if I could get it started I would hand over 1000 dollars. It took me 5 hours and three 60 mile round trips to finally get it going but when it finally started up I was one happy camper. I handed over the thousand, aired up the tires, and made it half way home when the drivers rear blew out. I bought 2 new tires for the rear beat the starter into subjection and made it home with no further problems. The second picture is the photo of my open air, dirt floor, mechanics garage. I usally go to my dads house to work in his shop but what can you do when you starter goes out. Just about every starter I have had to install has been on dirt or if I am lucky a parking lot. Well anyways I installed the new starter and battery cables and now she starts up like a champ. I did a tune up, put in some lucas, and she runs like a champ. Doesnt smoke, runs strong, everything works (well almost the radio doesnt turn on but I havent checked it out yet), and I have already went through one tank of gas with no problems. I will keep adding new photos as I get it pieced together. In the next few weeks I will have my first rust section fixed. I plan on hitting one section a month and by winter I am going to take it to my dads paint shop and spray it with a fresh coat of white. Then I am going to install a new vinly top and then by next summer I am going to re-do the enterior and install a custom stereo system and some ralley gauges. From there mabey a weiland supercharger My car is listed as 68/69 because it is a 69 body with a 68 front. Well intell next time thats were shes at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CUTLASS 012.jpg (125.9 KB, 75 views)
working on car.jpg (74.6 KB, 83 views)
interior 3.jpg (61.0 KB, 37 views)
engine.jpg (6.0 KB, 52 views)
interior.jpg (74.7 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by 69OldsCutlassS; May 7th, 2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:37 PM

It is a little different. A '69 with a '68 front clip. I have seen a '68 with a '69 front. Somebody has done some work on that car, black seats with a tan intereior. keep us up on your progress with pic's and all. Sounds and looks like you got yourself a great car.
And welcome to this site.

Gene
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Not old but Olds

The car was originally gold, It had a rattlecan paint job from the previous owners boy friend. You can kinda see the gold bleed through on the drivers front fender. I dont have the picture but the drivers door has been painted black. It actully looks pretty good too. I am going to go ahead and re-do the entire interior in black (I know I will regret it in the summer but black looks so darn good and I am vain like that), plus black interior parts are cheaper (and I am one thrifty person the type who drives 10 miles to save .05 pennies per gallon), The headliner is missing and its far from perfect but it is nice to at least have seats that are pretty new and pretty nice. I enjoy projects, could never see myself buying a car already restored and in perfect condition (well mabey because there is no way I could afford one I got 4 kids and 1 wife ). Thanks for checking it out and I will keep posting as it comes together. The 68/69 swap wasnt perfect, the bumper is out of center about 3/4s but I like the uniquness that the mix brings.
Attached Images
front 1.jpg (75.8 KB, 31 views)
back 1.jpg (58.5 KB, 30 views)
interior backseat view.jpg (68.9 KB, 48 views)
headliner.jpg (46.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by 69OldsCutlassS; May 8th, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:45 AM

Good luck on your project. I think you got a great deal at $1000.
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:52 AM

HEY! You have the same cheesy 80's aftermarket steering wheel I do. Yours is a lot farther than mine is for the same$$$. Nice find. I have the entire LR corner cut out of mine right now, and am in the process of trying to reconstruct an inner wheel house from a doner car before I go any deeper. Keep the pics coming
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM

you can easily get all the parts to correct the 68 back to the 69 front end if you like-(I-would) . Good Luck with the Car I'm working on a 69 myself. Keep the Crager SS Wheels there classics.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
69CuttyS

Hey brother, I have one too!
My thinking was the same- change it to all-69 as soon as possible.
But I've had it for a while now, and the 68 look is really growing on me. And I can't give up the rest of the 69 body styling. I think it's gonna stay as is!
(Aside from the front suspension, interior, ragtop, radio, mirrors, shocks and disk-brake conversion work that's on my list!!)
Welcome the the 68-69 club!
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Nice car you got. Well worth the $1000. You'll enjoy working on it....
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Not old but Olds

Need some feedback on experimental paint job, car goes into body shop soon!!!!

I am going with electric blue metalic paint body with artic white hood with white and light blue interior.
Attached Images
020.jpg (51.5 KB, 30 views)
021.jpg (54.7 KB, 21 views)
022.jpg (48.4 KB, 20 views)
023.jpg (47.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by 69OldsCutlassS; August 21st, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:56 AM

Nice inexpensive freshen up. Another would be black shoe polish the some vasoline on the vinyl top. Cost about $2.00.
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Not old but Olds

I will give that a shot, you vasaline first or polish first, I so far have 4 dollars into paint and 2 dollars into masking tape,

UPDATE:

Vinly top fell apart with rubbing, (after 40 years it wasnt into rub downs anymore I guess

Last edited by 69OldsCutlassS; August 20th, 2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 69OldsCutlassS
I will give that a shot, you vasaline first or polish first, I so far have 4 dollars into paint and 2 dollars into masking tape,
You could either but I would try the vasoline first and you may not need the shoe polish. But ALOT on the top and work it in with a rag. Let it sit for awhile preferably in ths sun for about 30 minutes to let it soak in. Then take a rag and wipe off all the excess vasoline. If still looks bad then try black paste shoe polish. Let us know how it goes.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Not old but Olds

Body work time

I worked on my car today, over then next few days me and my friend Richard are going to tackle the body. We are going to remove rust, weld new sheet metal, fill in holes, bondo dents and spray the exterior and interior Metalic Electric Blue and Artic White. A lot of the trim pieces will not be going back on the car, all the badges/emblems are having their holes filled in the undercarriage is going to be painted and the vinyle top is not coming back.

BTW:

If you are looking for trim pieces I am selling the complete exterior trim pieces from the car. PM me if you are interested, I will beat any restoration magazines lowest price by 25 percent plus the actual cost of shipping.
Attached Images
car and stuff 026.jpg (56.6 KB, 13 views)
car and stuff 017.jpg (65.0 KB, 23 views)
car and stuff 028.jpg (40.9 KB, 11 views)
car and stuff 029.jpg (48.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by 69OldsCutlassS; August 21st, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:58 PM
Not old but Olds

Day Three:

Got the front window out, got the rear bumpers off, took off the headlight assemblies, cleaned caulking around the window, got some sanding done on the trunk, Got the undercarriage scraped down, Got some of the moulding pegs ground off got the window felts off, It is coming along, about another 100+ hours it will be painted.
Attached Images
cutlass in shop 001.jpg (48.9 KB, 16 views)
cutlass in shop 004.jpg (62.8 KB, 15 views)
cutlass in shop 003.jpg (58.5 KB, 18 views)
cutlass in shop 002.jpg (51.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by 69OldsCutlassS; August 21st, 2009 at 11:12 PM.