65 Cutlass Steering Wheel Help

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2011, 12:09 AM

65 Cutlass Steering Wheel Help

Ok, so what's wrong with the photo if the wheels are straight?
Yep it's 90 degrees off center if I am traveling straight down the road.
First, to correct this do I take the steering wheel off and rotate it 90 degrees or do I correct this problem under the hood?
Second, since I do not have a shop manual I will need instructions on whichever solution is correct.
Thanks in advance,
B
P.S. I have never removed a steering wheel.

IMGP0066.jpg
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Registered

You don't want to mess with the steering wheel, won't work anyway.
You adjust the tie rod ends to straighten out a steering wheel, that wouldn't need much.
Any alignment shop or mechanic could do it in a few minutes or you could do it yourself. It isn't a real big deal but you can get in trouble fast if you aren't careful. You have to make sure the car is pointing perfectly straight and to adjust each tie rod end exactly the same amount and direction until the steering wheel is straight or you'll throw the toe off. The car should be on a level smooth surface, plastic trash bags and cardboard under the front wheels helps them turn easier.
Alignment places lock down the steering wheel in the correct position then align the front end straight to the steering wheel.
Did some place align the car and didn't know what way the wheel was supposed to point?
Has that center emblem always been off by 90 degrees?

Wild About Cars Online has the '65 service manual available for download after you register. It shows all that stuff it so you know what you're looking at under there. I go to the site and explore manuals for hours at at a time for fun.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/index.html
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the info Bluevista. I will check out the Wild About Cars website.
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:23 AM

if you unscrew the wheel centercap there is a small centerpunch mark on the shaft and on the wheel itself. if these are lined up then its your front end
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:26 AM

If you will take the horn button off you will see a mark on the end of the steering shaft. If you will take the nut off that keeps the wheel on you will see a mark on the steering wheel. These marks look like they were made with a small chisel. These marks are supposed to be lined up. If they are not lined up you should align them before you start adjustig on the tierods. Check that and let us know and we can offer some advice on how to proceed. You can email me direct if you like, dadphelps@yahoo.com .
Mike
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:30 AM

great minds think alike 66luvr
now go to bros website and he shows how to put the centercap together to line up correctly
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Also...from centre..turn the wheel all the way to the left and count the turns then do the same to the right...should be the same. Once you have it centered then you can reposition the wheel if you have to. And the wheels should be straight once you have the steering gear centered as well. Make sense?
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rdrokit
Ok, so what's wrong with the photo if the wheels are straight?
Yep it's 90 degrees off center if I am traveling straight down the road.
First, to correct this do I take the steering wheel off and rotate it 90 degrees or do I correct this problem under the hood?
Second, since I do not have a shop manual I will need instructions on whichever solution is correct.
Thanks in advance,
B
P.S. I have never removed a steering wheel.
I never heard of making an adjustment like any other way other then to pull the steering wheel off and align it correctly. I have done it twice, albeit a long time ago, with something called a steering wheel puller. It took a few minutes and was relatively easy.
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Look, I just changed wheels on my 65 2 weeks ago- I could NOT find a line on the end of my steering post, and I was looking very hard for it. I've had a dozen newer units apart before, I know what the mark looks like.

I ended up straightening out the front wheels, and putting the new steering wheel on straight.

I doubt mine had ever been taken apart before, either. But you never know.

Get a steering wheel puller, the job is not difficult.

BTW, nice looking wheel.

Jim

Last edited by Warhead; February 25th, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old February 26th, 2011, 06:21 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I downloaded from Wild About Cars the part of the service manual that relates to steering. I will do some reading and give it a try. If I have any questions I will let you know.
Thanks again,
B
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
I never heard of making an adjustment like any other way other then to pull the steering wheel off and align it correctly. I have done it twice, albeit a long time ago, with something called a steering wheel puller. It took a few minutes and was relatively easy.
Unfortunately, if the tie rods aren't adjusted to center the steering box, you'll have different turning radii in one direction vs. the other. You need to center the steering box FIRST, and then reposition the wheel if necessary.
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM

I would check your number of turns ,lock to lock. Center the wheel from your number of turns. Wheels should be straight. It looks like the steering wheel has been off before. For I don't think the leather on the wheel is factory.

Gene