1994 Cutlass ciera s

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM

1994 Cutlass ciera s

I purchased a cutlass ciera s about 3 years ago. Everything works fine, except the tranny, that slips out of overdrive when it warms up...guess that was pretty common.

Anyhow, the thing started acting up on me a bit ago. Starter wouldn't engage. Turn the key, nothing would happen. Hit the key a few times, and it would engage. Then today, it just quit. So, I started off by checking the obvious, the wiring connections. Tightened them all, cleaned them, and tried again. Nothing. So I figure it is 1 of 2 things. Solenoid, or starter itself.

With the starter still in the car, I tried to remove the solenoid. Found that it won't come out. Not sure why. All bolts that I know of are out. Said to myself, well, might as well pull the starter and see what the deal is. Crawled under the car, and was shocked. Where are the starter bolts? I looked around and found one, will be interesting to get to, the other one, I don't even have the slightest idea on how to get to it. Anyone pull a starter on these beasts? BTW, car is a 1994, cutlass, with 3.1 engine. Any help will be appreciated.

Oh yeah, I'm Adrian, and new to the forum. I love oldsmobiles! Always have.
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Did you check the neutral safety switch?
Good luck with it, and welcome.
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Yeah, I checked the neutral safety switch, it is fine. I can only think that it is either the solenoid, or starter itself. It has been acting up for a few weeks, and has finally quit.

I just got out from underneath the car, I found the last starter bolt, and was it a b**ch to get to. I got the starter bolts out, but now can't get the starter out. This thing is enormous. Looks like a v-8 starter, not a v-6 starter. Can't believe they would put something that big in the car. I have to drain the oil, and remove the oil filter to gain enough clearance to pull the starter out. Otherwise, I have to take out the ac compressor, and all the hoses. Figure I have to choose the lesser of two evils here. Probably need an oil change anyway.

Why do they completely assemble an engine and then put it in between the fenders? Do they think that we all have garages at home that can pull an engine just to replace something? Sheesh!!!!
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM

I suggest buying a Chilton's manual for your car. If it were an older vehicle I would suggest a Factory Service Manual, but a Chilton's manual will do just fine. They have all sorts of good pictures, diagrams, and directions on removing and disassembling the vehicle. It is an invaluable tool.

Does your car have a security key? In other words, does it have a resistor set inside the ignition key? Early 90s GMs had this security function as an anti-theft device. They often get worn out and then the vehicle won't start. If the car doesn't start and your "Security" light comes on then you might need to replace the ignition lock. Then again, if your car doesn't have this function then you definitely need to get that starter checked.
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:46 AM

What about that torque convertor clutch thingy giggy? TCC?