Cutlas Ciera 1994 - Radiator fan relay ?

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Cutlas Ciera 1994 - Radiator fan relay ?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a 1994 Cutlas Ciera. The radiator fan will not come on, and I want to know which relay in the engine compartment is the one for that fan.

In the engine compartment, there are 5 relays all together, but I have no clue which one would be the one for the fan.

I've tested what I could, put the A/C on, to force the fan on, it won't go, I've checked fuses inside the car in the glove compartment, and everything is OK. ( However, after looking at the manual, there is no fuse for the radiator fan in that fuse box anyway )

I'm 99% sure it is a bad relay, but I have no clue which one.

By the way, I'm posting here, because the forum description says for new people to post here... if this would get more views in another sub-forum, please moderator, move my question to the correct forum.

Thanks very much for any help.
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM

Good news is that auto parts store will test relays for free. Bad news is I don't know which one it is either. So would say take them all to the store and have them checked.

Should have two for the fan hi and lo speed relays. If they all test good. Than the next step is test the fan motor.

Just discount the wires going to the fan. Run jumper wires to the battery and if works than it's fine. If the fan and relays are good than the temp sensor would more than likely be the problem.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; January 20th, 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Hi 70 cutlass,

thanks for the info.

I should have mentioned that I checked the fan a few days ago, I unplugged it, and hooked a wire to it, and powered it up, it started fine, and spun freely, and was very powerful ( not sluggish ) and it sounded very normal. So at that point, fan is OK.

What do you think the changes are, that the relay is indeed the problem ?

Btw, am I posting in the correct area ? ... probably not ? ... the more people that see this thread the more ideas.

I just wish I knew WHICH relay it was.... argh .

thanks for your help
Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Good news is that auto parts store will test relays for free. Bad news is I don't know which one it is either. So would say take them all to the store and have them checked.

Should have two for the fan hi and lo speed relays. If they all test good. Than the next step is test the fan motor.

Just discount the wires going to the fan. Run jumper wires to the battery and if works than it's fine. If the fan and relays are good than the temp sensor would more than likely be the problem.
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!!! Hope ya get your problem fixed!!
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM

No it's not the right forum, but that's ok. I would take all 5 relays to the auto parts store and have them tested.

Welcome to the site.
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Is it a 4 or six cylinder one or two speed? If it's a six the relay should be a black plastic rectangle stand off by the radiator. The easy way to test the system is to ground the ALDL connection under the dash. The next thing is to fallow the wire from the fan look at the color of the wire then match it at the relay center. good luck
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:10 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I would also add that it may be the relay but it may NOT. The relay has to be triggered by a sensor, probably engine temperature, so it could be that or any of the wiring in the complete system, cracked, damaged, or loose connector. Electrical problems are sometimes quite difficult to track down. Moving thread....