1976 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 455

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2009, 03:40 PM

1976 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 455

Hello everyone,

It's great to be a part of a forum dedicated to discussing Oldsmobiles! My name is Michael and I recently purchased an all original '76 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with 21,000 miles. I was wondering, does anyone know how many Cutlass Supreme Broughams were made with the 455 in 1976? Mine has this motor and I am curious to find out. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael
Old March 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1976CSB455
Hello everyone,

It's great to be a part of a forum dedicated to discussing Oldsmobiles! My name is Michael and I recently purchased an all original '76 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with 21,000 miles. I was wondering, does anyone know how many Cutlass Supreme Broughams were made with the 455 in 1976? Mine has this motor and I am curious to find out. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael
I don't have the exact number, but there were darn few. As you probably know, 76 was the last year for the 455, so I'd call it a keeper in any case. Congrats.
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM

Welcome to the site, enjoy your new ride
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:21 AM

Welcome. Please post some pics when you can so we can see your project.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Registered Luser

Get plenty of pics up...I love those colonnades Welcome to the site!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:27 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the well wishes. I'll be posting some pictures of the Cutlass very soon!

All the best,

Michael
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM

1976 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Picture

Hey Guys,

Here is a link to my Cutlass (w/ picture) on the 1973-77 Cutlass Registry website. I'm still awaiting the arrival of my car from California so I put a picture on here that I got from the seller. I'll post several more pictures as soon as I get the car in about 10-12 days.

http://v8cars.hu/73-77cutlassregistr...=49aa45f720b22

Thanks,

Michael
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
Welcome! I will part out a '76 350 CI Brougham soon, so shoot me a messsage if I can help you with any needed parts - Best ~ CW

Hi CW,

Thank you for the welcome. I'll definitely keep you in mind if there is anything that I need part wise.

Best,

Michael
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Registered Luser

Where in NY are you? Bringing a Cali car here....smart man!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Where in NY are you? Bringing a Cali car here....smart man!

Thanks! From what I've been told, my car has never even seen rain let alone snow. The original owners only drove it in nice weather. Although, it's nice 95% of the time in southern Cali! I live in Astoria, Queens. I see that you're on the Island. We're really close! I remember reading that there is an Olds show in Merrick in May. Is that correct? My car is actually going to western PA where it will be stored at my parents' home as I have no garage here. I don't want it exposed to the NYC craziness either! I'm sure you understand what that's about.

Last edited by 1976CSB455; March 2nd, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM

Michael,

Nice looking car! I had a 1977 cutlass supreme that was white with a beige top. Your car brings back some good memories. Unfortunately mine had an odd fire Buick 3.8l v6 I drove it for about a year until I got beat out of the toll booth on the bridge by a Yugo! I was working at an Olds dealer at the time and purchased the owners old 74 cutlass salon 4 dr. The body was a mess but the engine only had 50k on it. I rebuilt the carb, used a new oil and water pump and in one day made the switch and drove my car home that night with its new 350 4bbl engine. Point of my story is that if for some reason you decide not to keep it original there is a lot you can do with it using stock Olds parts from the 74 model year if you want to get around some of the emission stuff. I had to switch the frame mounts for the engine on mine and the holes were already there. I also used the cross member from the 74 for the transmission and was able to run factory dual exhaust from the 74 model year with out any permanent modifications. The holes for the cross member as well as the exhaust hangers were all there! I even used the front and rear sway bars from the 74. It was one of my favorite cars It ran great and handled well for its size. Also had a set of 215-65-15 eagle Gt's on it at the time.

Best of luck with it, it is an awesome looking car.
Joe
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by jerseyjoe
Michael,

Nice looking car! I had a 1977 cutlass supreme that was white with a beige top. Your car brings back some good memories. Unfortunately mine had an odd fire Buick 3.8l v6 I drove it for about a year until I got beat out of the toll booth on the bridge by a Yugo! I was working at an Olds dealer at the time and purchased the owners old 74 cutlass salon 4 dr. The body was a mess but the engine only had 50k on it. I rebuilt the carb, used a new oil and water pump and in one day made the switch and drove my car home that night with its new 350 4bbl engine. Point of my story is that if for some reason you decide not to keep it original there is a lot you can do with it using stock Olds parts from the 74 model year if you want to get around some of the emission stuff. I had to switch the frame mounts for the engine on mine and the holes were already there. I also used the cross member from the 74 for the transmission and was able to run factory dual exhaust from the 74 model year with out any permanent modifications. The holes for the cross member as well as the exhaust hangers were all there! I even used the front and rear sway bars from the 74. It was one of my favorite cars It ran great and handled well for its size. Also had a set of 215-65-15 eagle Gt's on it at the time.

Best of luck with it, it is an awesome looking car.
Joe
Joe,

Thank you for your compliments and well wishes on my Cutlass! I appreciate it. It's funny you mention that you had a white one with the beige top. My grandfather had a '76 Cutlass Supreme Brougham when I was growing up and coincidentally, it was white with a beige landau top! His had the 350 V8. I fell in love with the car and I've wanted my own ever since he got rid of it in 1992. The frame was rotted and the car had a lot of rust throughout. Unfortunately, as you know, that's what these northeast winters do to cars. I enjoyed the story about your '74 Cutlass Salon. Sounds like it was a fun project. You worked really fast too, getting that 350 in all in one day! That's impressive. I appreciate the tips on using stock Olds parts from earlier years to get around the emission limitations but I plan on keeping mine 100% original. The car is really appealing to me just the way it is as that's how I remember my grandfather's car growing up. It really takes me back.

All the best,

Michael
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM

1976 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Pics.

Hi Michael,

Thought I would post a few pictures of your new Cutlass.

ENJOY!!

Cutlass015.jpg
Cutlass014.jpg
Cutlass013.jpg
Cutlass012.jpg
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM

Pictures from my Dad

Hey guys,

My Dad (Rallye3501970) has a photo bucket account and he was able to put these pictures of my Cutlass here for you all to view! Enjoy!

Thanks,

Michael
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM

I wonder how many of these had the full vinyl top?

Most of the ones I have seen over the years have partial vinyl tops.

Would be interested to know.

Thanks,

Paul
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Rallye3501970
I wonder how many of these had the full vinyl top?...Paul
Interesting thought, I'll try to find out. You are right, most I have seen have the half top like mine.

by the way I really like that '76, very clean car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cutlass.JPG (31.4 KB, 92 views)
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:15 PM

Joe,

Thank you for your compliments and well wishes on my Cutlass! I appreciate it. It's funny you mention that you had a white one with the beige top. My grandfather had a '76 Cutlass Supreme Brougham when I was growing up and coincidentally, it was white with a beige landau top! His had the 350 V8. I fell in love with the car and I've wanted my own ever since he got rid of it in 1992. The frame was rotted and the car had a lot of rust throughout. Unfortunately, as you know, that's what these northeast winters do to cars. I enjoyed the story about your '74 Cutlass Salon. Sounds like it was a fun project. You worked really fast too, getting that 350 in all in one day! That's impressive. I appreciate the tips on using stock Olds parts from earlier years to get around the emission limitations but I plan on keeping mine 100% original. The car is really appealing to me just the way it is as that's how I remember my grandfather's car growing up. It really takes me back.

All the best,

Michael
Hey Michael,

I completely understand With being so clean and with such low miles I would be hard pressed to alter as well
As far as the one day exchange, keep in mind the 350 was sitting and waiting next to the car. Everything fortunately fell into place, only real modification was that the fuel line came up the left side of the car for the V6 so I had to custom bend a piece of steel line to run across the front cradle to get to the fuel pump on the right side of the 350 eng.

Joe
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Captain of my ship

Unhappy rust

welcome to the site. nice car and if it's got no rust you want to keep it that way. I know all about rust being a car killer that's why mine will only see those nice warm days when I can enjoy having the top down.
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:30 PM

I had a 1977 as well and was the 2nd owner. It was the Light blue silver color with 1/2 vinyle top. I had the vinyle top removed and Painted it up like a 83-H/O. Loved that Car. Owned it 5 years. Sold it and 15 years later I saw it in nearby town with the same paint I put on it with the factory motor still going and Keystone wheels I put on.. I'll post a pic in a few days.

Last edited by GoodOldsGuyDougie; March 4th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
welcome to the site. nice car and if it's got no rust you want to keep it that way. I know all about rust being a car killer that's why mine will only see those nice warm days when I can enjoy having the top down.

Thanks for the welcome, Wolfman! I agree with you. Driving our cars on nice, warm days is the only way to keep them in tip-top condition. Hopefully, the weather will be nice for the OCA nationals this year!

Best,

Michael
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:03 PM

the Landau top was common for these models. I have a 76 Cutlass 455 also.
if you need help with #'s you can check http://www.73-77olds.com/index.php
this site is dedicated to the 73 to 77 Olds.
Glad to have you here...
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by yogi442
the Landau top was common for these models. I have a 76 Cutlass 455 also.
if you need help with #'s you can check http://www.73-77olds.com/index.php
this site is dedicated to the 73 to 77 Olds.
Glad to have you here...
Hello Yogi442,

Thank you for the welcome and for the tip on the 73-77 Olds forum. I appreciate it. I have actually already joined that forum! Is your '76 455 a 442? It's a wild guess based on your user name. If you have any pics, I'd love to check out your car.

Best,

Michael
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Captain of my ship

Question weather

Thanks for the welcome, Wolfman! I agree with you. Driving our cars on nice, warm days is the only way to keep them in tip-top condition. Hopefully, the weather will be nice for the OCA nationals this year!

Best,

Michael
you are more than welcome. Your 76 at least still has the 455cid and TH400 combo so it is a keeper. Since it came from California I was wondering what emission controls were put on the car. It possibly had catalytic converter added to the exhaust? Plus here in Nova Scotia I have mine registered as an antique , something you can do if it is 30 years old and not your primary vehicle. registration and insurance is cheaper because they expect you to drive it a lot less and not recklessly.here there is not only salt in the air to be concerned with year round but they use salt on the roads every time we get snow or freezing rain. Right now the roads are clear of snow but they are white in color because of the salt. I have to wait until the spring rains help to wash the salt off the roads before taking out the car. Do they use salt on the roads there as well?
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
you are more than welcome. Your 76 at least still has the 455cid and TH400 combo so it is a keeper. Since it came from California I was wondering what emission controls were put on the car. It possibly had catalytic converter added to the exhaust? Plus here in Nova Scotia I have mine registered as an antique , something you can do if it is 30 years old and not your primary vehicle. registration and insurance is cheaper because they expect you to drive it a lot less and not recklessly.here there is not only salt in the air to be concerned with year round but they use salt on the roads every time we get snow or freezing rain. Right now the roads are clear of snow but they are white in color because of the salt. I have to wait until the spring rains help to wash the salt off the roads before taking out the car. Do they use salt on the roads there as well?
Yes, I definitely plan on hanging on to this one! According to the window sticker, my car has the "California Emission Equipment & Test." It was a $50.00 option. Although, I'm sure is was mandatory for all of the CA cars. I could be wrong but I think all of these cars came factory-equipped with a catalytic converter on the exhaust system. It's listed in the Owner's Manual. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll check on it when I receive the car from the seller but I'm 95% sure that mine has one. We have the antique registration/insurance available here as well, and that's what I'll be using on my car. With my insurance, I'll just have to drive it less than 3,000 miles a year. I don't plan on driving it nearly that much anyway. As far as the road salt, they use TONS of it here too and our roads are all white in color just like yours! I can't wait for the weather to break so I can drive my new Cutlass!

All the best,

Michael

Last edited by 1976CSB455; March 7th, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old August 27th, 2016, 05:31 AM

Don't get in here much, but hopefully my search will begin again. I had a 76 Brougham with T tops.....best I could tell less than 20 ? What stupidty and youth mistakes...sold it. Had no idea at the time