1971 Cutlass Headers

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM

1971 Cutlass Headers

How difficult is the header installation on a 1971 Cutlass with the 350? Assuming I can get the header bolts out (big assumption I know) is this something I can bang out in the drive way with a jack and stands or will I need a lift? Besides the exhaust does anything else need to be disconnected to make it fit? (ie. starter, sterring shaft etc)
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:00 PM

I installed flowtech longtubes on my 350 in a 71 cutlass s .. royal pain in the ***. Had to jack motor off the mounts.... Take off starter. Took about 4 hours in the driveway.
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:46 PM

It's a pain in the ***. I've never had a lift and put them on many times. I think it's a two person job though. Remove the oil filter and adapter from the block and remove the starter.
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:51 PM

i took mine to the shop.. they had to remove the starter, heat and bang the headers a bit to fit!
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Mine are beat up too. I got a quote from a muffler shop for $200 to put the headers on. I'm considering it cause I'm afraid of the 40 year old manifold bolts. I'm sure they know all the tricks to getting those bolts loose without stripping them.
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:29 AM

Well I appreciate all the input, stockers it is haha
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:37 AM

i put flowtechs and a 2010 mustang hpipe and some dumped flowmasters and my cutlass sounds like a monster. you gotta do it.
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:01 PM

I put Thorleys on mine. Passenger side easy, driver side hit everything. Can't be a hot rod without headers man! Haha
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:58 AM

Dougs

I used Dougs - not to bad at all.

Had to relocate the proportioning valve, but other then that -wasn't bad at all.

Very easy to pull starter, oil filter, etc. -

I did lift the engine out to install the headers and dropped back in. Also, using 350 motor mounts on the 455.

TP
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

Originally Posted by timothypaul
....... Also, using 350 motor mounts on the 455.

TP
What are the advantages of using 350 mounts on a 455?

I have a 455 in a 71 convert that originally came with a 350, but I'm not sure what mounts are in it.
I'd like to put headers on in the near future, I already have the prop valve up under the master cylinder, so I'm hoping by just removing the starter and oil filter I'll be good to go.
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by midrange
What are the advantages of using 350 mounts on a 455?

I have a 455 in a 71 convert that originally came with a 350, but I'm not sure what mounts are in it.
I'd like to put headers on in the near future, I already have the prop valve up under the master cylinder, so I'm hoping by just removing the starter and oil filter I'll be good to go.
Sounds like a plan! Patience, beer, an extra set of hands, and did I mention beer, make it smoother!
Old April 9th, 2015, 09:44 PM

Red face Headers

Man you guys got me a little nervous, getting my Headers tomorrow and I'm hoping to install them with no problem. I have everything off the engine because I just painted it. I'm a little worried the pipes wont match up even though the headers are made to fit for a 72 Cutlass Supreme.
Input greatly appreciated. 🚗
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Administrator

An exhaust shop may be necessary to get your collectors mounted and attached to your current exhaust. Headers sometimes require small mods to themselves and/or the vehicle to fit.
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:44 AM

Headers

Thanks oldcutlass I'll let you know if exhaust shop is needed. Trying to decide if I'm going to paint them white or not.
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by highschoololds
I put Thorleys on mine. Passenger side easy, driver side hit everything. Can't be a hot rod without headers man! Haha

same story with mine. put hooker long tubes on, passenger side had to remove oil filter housing and move the steel lines from the transmission to the radiator out of the way but that was easy compared to driver side. had to remove steering components, oil dipstick and took a lot of fitting to get them in. had to bang one tube witha ball peen a bit to make it fit. got them in though. big problem i have with hooker headers is that finicky little bolt between the 5th and 7th exhaust port on DS and the 6th and 8th on the PS.
Old April 10th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Buy premium gaskets for the head as well the collectors. I have seen cheap gaskets fail prematurely making for a re-do. Hope they fit without massive mods!
Old February 18th, 2023, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by timothypaul
I used Dougs - not to bad at all.

Had to relocate the proportioning valve, but other then that -wasn't bad at all.

Very easy to pull starter, oil filter, etc. -

I did lift the engine out to install the headers and dropped back in. Also, using 350 motor mounts on the 455.

TP
I am working on my 1971 Cutlass Supreme Convertible and running into availability issues with headers. Everywhere I turn, the footnotes say "Not compatible with Cutlass Supreme" because of engine location. I have the engine out and am re-building. Want to install new exhaust and need to confirm which headers you used that worked. Several options available for exhaust - nothing available for headers, appreciate a reply. . .Sean
Old February 18th, 2023, 01:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by seanpomalley
I am working on my 1971 Cutlass Supreme Convertible and running into availability issues with headers. Everywhere I turn, the footnotes say "Not compatible with Cutlass Supreme" because of engine location. I have the engine out and am re-building. Want to install new exhaust and need to confirm which headers you used that worked. Several options available for exhaust - nothing available for headers, appreciate a reply. . .Sean
Rather than asking the same question in multiple threads (including those that have been dead for years), go back and read the response to your other identical question.
Old February 20th, 2023, 11:38 AM

Thanks Joe,
New guy - rookie move. Intent was to cast a wide net as lots of confusion and conflicting information about header availability and fitment for 71 Supreme. From what I've gathered, Sanderson Headers seem to go without issue. Likely going with those - Thanks for your input.
Old February 20th, 2023, 11:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by seanpomalley
Thanks Joe,
New guy - rookie move. Intent was to cast a wide net as lots of confusion and conflicting information about header availability and fitment for 71 Supreme. From what I've gathered, Sanderson Headers seem to go without issue. Likely going with those - Thanks for your input.
If you are talking Sanderson shorty headers, don't waste your time. Shorty headers give you all of the appearance and cost and leaking gaskets of real full length headers without the pesky extra horsepower.