1967 Cutlass- Lost Key

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM

1967 Cutlass- Lost Key

I am getting my grandfathers Olds out of my Dads garage- been sitting for 10 years and the key has been lost. What is the best course of action for me- can i order a new cylinder with key? Is it easy to replace? Thanks for your help- will be posting pics of the car soon- I'm very excited - have been waiting for years to get this thing up and running.
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Should be fairly easy to remove and replace. A lock smith should be able to rekey it once you get it out. Fusicks has new ones with keys I think if you go with a new one.

Get the service manual and assembly manual for the car. 2 very valuable books to have.

You've found a very valuable resource by signing up to this site. Great people here to help out with questions, parts and resources.
Can't wait to see pics of your car!
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Other than using a locksmith, you can get the key codes from the cylinders as follows:
The ignition (octagonal head) key is needed to remove the lock cylinder from the ignition switch; you turn the key and release the catch with a straightened paper clip through the little hole. I suggest you remove the inner door panel and remove the door lock; it takes the same key. The code should be stamped on the cylinder.

Similarly, the trunk and glove box are paired with an oval headed key. You can remove the rear seat, crawl into the trunk, and release the latch (yes it is a hassle but you don't want to damage the glove box lid/lock). Then remove the trunk lock cylinder and read the code.
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:46 PM

thanks gents- was able to take the switch out with the cylinder and a local locksmith/car guy cut me a new key. one step closer. thanks for your help.