66 starfire suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:24 AM

66 starfire suspension issues

just picked up a 1966 Starfire,car looks great,but handles like a turd,no not just your old B body turd,a really nasty one.Put it on a hoist and noticed the front wheels toe in as the weight came off the suspension,looked like it changed about two inches per side.Got to looking around and found the steering knuckles were from a newer A or G body car,left on right and right on left. Also the car had lowering springs on the front,so as I was replacing with the proper Moog springs I noticed as I moved the suspension all the way thru its arc that the tie rod end at the knuckle changed from toed in at the top of the arc to toed out at the bottom,this looks like my first problem,noticed a post from a member on this forum, I think his name was Joe Pavado? he said the outer tie rod end and lower ball joint should be in line front to rear,my tie rod end was about 1 inch inboard of the ball joint.At this point I removed the knuckles and used a press to align them to within 1/8 inch of ball joint measurement, however I was so excited to get my new coils on that I totally forgot to run the suspension thru its arc to check my results.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by scareyslo
jGot to looking around and found the steering knuckles were from a newer A or G body car,left on right and right on left.
This is a REALLY bad idea. People who do this have zero concept of suspension geometry and bump steer. Sounds like you do have a clue. Lose the incorrect spindles, put originals back on.
Old December 25th, 2015, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the reply Joe,I actually joined the site after reading some of your posts to various issues,well thought out and informative,thank you.I wish I knew more of my cars history it has been through quite a few owners.
Old December 26th, 2015, 07:25 AM

I have a 65 Starfire parts car with all the original suspension still in place if you need parts.

Contact me direct

lemoldsnut@aol.com

or calls west coast time 8 am to 8 pm except Sundays 541-815-4363

Thanks
Larry
Old December 26th, 2015, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the offer Lemoldsnut,may just take you up on it,but first I want to try moving my upper ball joints outboard.out to where I can get some camber adjustment,and see how the car drives, if that does not work well then my best option would be to just start over with the proper factory parts, however I am trying not to loose the disc brakes and nice hub setup that is on the car now.