The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:17 AM

Yeah, but I was hoping fer a wet t-shirt contest with sum hard bodies
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:03 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Busy night at work. The lead came in late, left early. The fill in lead gave the Monday guy the easy stuff and me, the Friday guy, the heavy stuff. He thinks it's funny. Eh, got everything done and they can't touch me for five days.

Beautiful out. Got Tiger to jail and now I think I'll go to the junkyard. Last time I was there I saw a Dodge B van and said, I'll come back and get parts. Hope it's still there. I don't remember why I didn't get them then.

I could wash a car or three this afternoon myself. No idea why, but I always get soaked when I wash the car. Not the Tshirt Jamesbo was hoping for I'm sure.

Okay gotta do something. Two and a half hours sleep is working against me. I feel like a shark. If I stop moving I'll sink to the bottom.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 07:39 PM
golden rocket

CQR saw your previous post about distant blood relative. both my brothers were down for a couple of days this week. Hadn't seen each other for about 10 years (dads' funeral) and about 20 years before that (moms' funeral). None of us were close growing up, so it is sort of awkward trying to play catch up. We all live in different parts of the country, and have lived our lives the way we wanted, marriage, kids, education, etc. My 5 sisters are the same way, different parts of the country, and getting on with their own lives. Nothing I wouldn't do for them, love 'em all.

weather here has been like summer time, was 92 Friday, with a 103 heat index, forecast shows by next Tuesday will be in low to mid 70s' with overnight in the low 50s'. We will get another stretch of hot weather (upper 80s'-low 90s') about mid October, before it starts to cool down (no A/C) as usual, probably have to light the furnace in early November. Just glad I'm retired and don't have to get out of bed at 4:00AM to go to work.

have a good weekend

mike
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well I'm off. Hope I have better luck than Denver. Flights looked good this morning so I should be okay, unless something cancels. Oh Lord I don't want that.

Sure is quiet around here without Tiger. I hate it. Went to the Awful house today and was in Tiger's car, so everyone thought Tiger was with me. Nope, he's in jail. I got a lot of guff but hey, the place isn't open today so he had to go yesterday.

So have a good day everyone and I'll see if I can check in while I'm out there. I was going to bring my laptop with me but I've heard such bad things about hotel wifi I figure why bother. Nothing earth shattering is going to happen on this thing and if anyone really needs me they can call.

See you 'round Wednesday.
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:35 AM

Mawn'in all

Safe travels Mike,

I think I might open an extended stay jes fir Tiger

Got the drop top shined up. It's funny to me. I don't minds driving a filthy truck as a DD but hate driving my Olds unless it's clean.

I think some wasp have built a nest in my brother in laws grill. [that I'm storing for free] Should I spray them or wait til he needs to move it.

GTG

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good Morning
yesterday was brutal. The Saturn is not an easy car to work on when it comes to belt tensioner. The access is so limited it's horrible. Then I find the upper mount bolt is rounded off and I don't have a quick grip socket. A call to my old neighbor Dale and he's got one that should work. He'll come over this morning to help remove it. He's the guy who was a mechanic before he became a police officer.
I googled the sockets on line and almost no one sells this here anymore. I might have to order a set from the USA because theyre a must have tool.
Just for kicks I called a shop and they quoted $500.00+ to replace the tensioner. That seems prohibitive. The car isn't worth that kind if repair at almost 22 years old. I think it's about time to evaluate how much longer we'll keep it. The odometer only shows 179k km which is about 110k Miles.

Jim - Good to hear the drip top is a gleaming machine again. I like to keep all the cars clean. Too many filthy ones on the road kind of tells a bit about owner maintenance. I think police are more likely to stop vehicles that look not maintained.

We went out for dinner last night at the annual retirement banquet. What a nice evening! Wonderful to see old friends, some look the same others have aged prematurely. The food and social was incredibly well done. In spite of the rich assortment I ate sparingly so my BG wouldn't spike too high. It was a pleasant 5.3 when I tested it this mawnjn.

Enjoy your Sunday
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It's almost like having Clint here to help me. Dale showed up and I already had the Saturn prepped for surgery. He used a deep offset 12 point wrench to break the 10 mm bolt loose and the tensioner was out in less than 15 minutes. Very tight clearances and he said that most mechanics simply use their hands to feel where things are and spin the bolt out. I was impressed. He had the old tensioner out and new one installed in about half hour. We chatted as he worked, and he insisted on doing it all himself. I just handed him tools and held the trouble light.
Reinstalled the serpentine belt and fired up the car. Nice - the pulley lines up perfectly and there's a good amount of tension on the belt now. The old pulley bearings were starting to go, and that was noticeable when I spun it when it was off the old tensioner.

I'm going to the beer store and buy him a six pack of assorted craft beer cuz I know he will like that. Good to have friends like that handy and near by. So the Saturn lives to drive another day....

What a beautiful day shaping up. Good enough to grill ribs for dinner.
Old September 24th, 2017, 02:40 PM

I think some wasp have built a nest in my brother in laws grill.
Tell him that he needs to check his oil. . Allan it's good to have friends like that, I was replacing an outside door on my old house with a new, pre hung one. I was just about to lift it from it's place in the garage to carry it to it's new location, when my buddy, who did general contracting on the side, pulled into the driveway. "Whaddaya doing"? and "let me get that". Nail it here and here, then check for square". Sure made it a lot easier.
Old September 25th, 2017, 02:08 AM

Well, tis Monday

Old September 25th, 2017, 04:37 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Happy whacking Jamesbo,

Allan, glad you got 'er whipped. Luckily the Saturn has ample room along that right strut tower to work. There are plenty out there that are a real tight fit.

Mike Have a good trip.

Golden Rocket Mike, Glad you got to spend some time with them, The way I look at it, I'll never have the memories of their youth, but I sure can listen to the stories that others have probably heard a zillion times.

Well they sure coulda had some wet t shirts around here. We got just under an inch of rain this weekend. and I'm sure the automatic cold weather detectors would be out in full force too. I think we are in the low 40'sF right now.

Have a day all.
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin

Rained here last night for a couple hours. Yesterday when I checked my rain gauge for the past week and a half it looks like we got a good couple inches accumulated. Now that the temps are back to normal I don't think we need a lot more. Time to put the winter fertilizer on the lawns.

Jim - I wanna say 44/44 today. Sorry ya missed out on the wet t shirt mania. They prolly woulda missed several spots and ya wouldn't have noticed...

Clint - Thank you sir. I don't know that the clearances are all that great but I'll take your word that it's not terrible from a mechanics point of view. I'm glad it's done and back to being safe. Last week we had that cold wet weather. Kind of nice to wake up,this morning and the house was still 71. I've covered the AC outside and flipped off the breakers, don't think I'll be needing it anymore this year.

Jouni - How's life on the other side of Finland? Locally there's a surge of paving going on while the weather holds. Lots of new roads here this year which is nice to drive on.

Spoda be nice here this week so I'll have a chance to get the yard, she'd and garage ready for winter. With luck I won't have to change to winter tires till sometime in October

Enjoy your day.
Old September 25th, 2017, 01:13 PM

Played like a goat 49/42
Old September 25th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yikes! Mebbe you should just stick to the back 9...
Old September 26th, 2017, 02:45 AM

Mawn'in

Drove the drop top to smack whitey yesterday. One of the young bag boys asked me if it was a Mustang I'm sure he was 20 y o Probably never heard of Oldsmobile

Now I gotta get all the fallen leaves out There really isn't a good season for a drop top

Winter too cold, Spring yellow pollen, summer too hot, Fall leaves

Originally Posted by Allan R
Yikes! Mebbe you should just stick to the back 9...
Or maybe I could occasionally sink a 5 foot put

GTG family coming this mawn'in

Old September 26th, 2017, 04:05 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, you know the saying about being hanged with a new rope...

Allan, I'm glad we don't need A/C around here. the house does pretty good about staying cool. Speaking of... Last night at 6:30 the house was 61F. and this morning it's 60. Hoping it warms up a bit this week. It is too early to turn on the furnace. I don't think I can wait until November, but I want to be well into October before cranking it up.

Have a day.
Old September 26th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin

'Twas a beautimus day here yesterday and Spoda be even nicer today. Plans for the flooring are still being revised. We may just elect to keep carpet in the living and dining rooms. Aren't renos a blast???

Jim - Been there done that. Mebbe leave the top up while you're on course? Did you blow out the leaves from between the a pillar and fender? They love to pile in there and eventually rot out the fender from the inside.

Clint - I couldn't leave the house at 60 or the missus would clobber me. She likes it warm. 60 inside is a bit on the cool side for us. Last night it was 73 and this morning it was still 73. I usually leave the furnace fan in circulate mode, which is a nice feature. It runs every 20 minutes for about 10 minutes to prevent air stratification.

Hope all the others who have been away for awhile are doing ok.

Last edited by Allan R; September 26th, 2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:54 AM

I have a co worker, in his 50's who doesn't know what a new Mustang looks like. A female co worker has a newer 'stang convert. that he described as a "sporty car", I told him what it was, and he's like oh? ok. He had no idea. Clint, it was 81° in my house @ 1:00am Friday night...too hot n humid. I put off replacing the central air this year, because I knew that I had to replace my car. I will get the A/C next.
Old September 26th, 2017, 03:38 PM

Evening all

Another day, another Birthday. Finally hit the big five oh. I'm just impressed I've lasted this long!

Nice day not doing too much. The children in the school all sang happy birthday to me, in fact I heard it at least a dozen times.
Had nice lunch with the better half, goat cheese and avocado salad with some chilli halumi, very nice.
Went shopping for a new suit this afternoon. We have been invited for lunch in the city by my bank so I suppose I'd better makes the effort to look the part. Don't know why I can't wear my usual shorts and tee shirt but wife said no!

Tomorrow I'm having a tattoo, the wife thinks I'm regressing back to my youth, suppose she's right.

Allan, first thing I do when I buy a house is get rid of any carpets and replace with solid flooring, so much easier to keep clean especially with a steam mop.

Jamesbo. So many people have drop tops over here, first sign of sun and everyone has their roofs down. I love driving in the winter with the roof off, I put on a hat, scarf and gloves and have a blanket over my legs, I'm sure people just think I'm a bit of an eccentric old guy.

Beautiful Autumn day at 68* and sunshine, tomorrow up to 72. Sorry Jouni to shatter your illusions about British weather.
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:19 PM

So, here I am, diddling around on the computer, a light breeze coming through the window.....and SKUNK! damn it! Closed window, rant over, but not the smell.
Old September 27th, 2017, 05:35 AM

Mawn'in all

Well Happy Berfday London, My 66 Austin Healey 3000 was actually warm in the winter with the top down.Course I roasted in the summer

First thing I do when I smell Peppy le pew is lock Reddog up

I sure miss John

So yesterday, I'm waiting on a marker delivery. Dispatcher says betwix 12:00 and 5:00 and the dude shows at 6:30 with a BIG attitude, Pi$$ me off big time. I think I need to lethis company understand who is the customer

end of rant

have a great day Olds friends
Old September 27th, 2017, 06:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning

Shaping up to be a bluebird day. This is what fall should be like with around 70 as a high and clear skies. Sure is dark longer now. Sun sets early and comes up later. Someone must have tilted the world more to get that effect.

London - Happy 50th birthday! That was some time ago for a few of us. We elected to keep the main floor carpet areas but just upgrade them. It's all good since no one wears shoes inside. Why the tattoo? Just curious. Will it match your new suit?

Jim - Sounds like you shoulda given him him some attitude right back. I hate when deliveries are late and the drivers take their problems out on the customer. Wonder if John is mebbe lurking and not posting or really breaking away to see what happens. He did say he gets more done when he's not on the ol puter. He'll be back when he's ready.

Dan - Yuck. Lucky we don't have them around our hood. That smell seems to carry for miles.

Enjoy your day
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:52 AM

Happy Birthday London. Ah suburbia, where everyone has a gas powered leaf blower, and knows how to use it. Much milder temps today, at about 70° right now, pleasant. Supposed to get in the high 80's by the end of next week though. In a couple of months, I'll be griping about the snow. I'm wondering about John too, needs to touch base with us.
Old September 27th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Glad to be home. Had an excellent time volunteering at the museum. Dusted a lot. Cleaned up a few cars and helped disassemble a drum brake on a 1925 McFarlan. Also got to ride in the McFarlan which was a thrill. After 23+ years that's the first time I'd ever ridden in one of the museum's cars.

Had a bear of a trip out there, though I did get there when I was supposed to. Got lucky coming back. Got out of Reno okay but despite selecting one of my priority passes was a seat short out of Salt Lake City. But just as they're ready to close the door they see that three First Class passengers have checked in but haven't boarded. They were paged, and it was within 10 minutes of departure, so me and this other woman got on and I was very grateful that Mr. Muise had dawdled a little too much. Got in early, got home and picked up Tiger. And all is well. I sure missed him.

Happy Birthday London. Welcome to the club. Though I'm not getting a tattoo. Is the dinner at the bank in your honor? You should be able to wear whatever you want.

Jamesbo when I drove a convertible every day the top was down pretty much no matter what. If it was chilly I turned on the heater(such that it was). The Folding Top Manual said to not lower the top below 40* because it would have cracked the plastic back window.

I know when John will come back.

So Dan did you get the new car yet? I'm hoping that GM will have dynamite deals on the remaining '17 Equinox. That's what I've decided is going to be my Mom's new car.

Guess I'll scrounge up something to eat and continue catching up. Hope everyone is well. Short week for me, since I took the first two off. Have a good evening everyone.
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:42 PM

Yes Mike I did, a '17 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD, nothing fancy. I got my Weather Tech floor mats put in today. I ordered them Sunday night, and they were waiting for me when I got home Tues. night.
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:26 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

HB London, May you make as long as Heff did.

Mike, WB. glad you had a good time.

Congrats on the new car Dan, the wife is stirring for a new ride, I assume we will have a bit of a wait, and she says she's not buying a new truck. She wants a mid 70's Ford Highboy in Ranger trim.

Bovines and flat stones here. Yeah we need the moisture, but would rather it come after the new porch was shingled. Have the Framing inspection ordered for today. Then hopefully we can move on to the final concrete pour.

Have a day.
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:51 AM

Mawn'in all

Spose to b a hot one

Mike, So when? Inquiring minds need to know

So I guess I have to ax. Who was your all time favorite bunny. Mine was Donna Michelle 1963

Old September 28th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good mawnin
Got the shed all cleaned out and organized. Plenty of room in there for all the winter grips and new cutlass shoes. Lots of 70-72 interior parts didn't make the cut and they're at the curb waiting for mr trash man to give them a new home. Gotta know when it's time to fold em, and it's time.

Clint - Good luck with the inspection. Still some good weeks left to get everything done soon as Elsie has left.

Jim - I married my favorite bunny.

Dan - Weathertech mats are the best. Cost more than most but well worth it. I'm guessing it has a black interior? Seems like everything Hyundai makes these days is a black interior, unlike my Sonata which has beige.

Tis Thors day so off to visit wit de boys and see what's new. Enjoy your day.
Old September 28th, 2017, 09:37 AM

Jamesbo, bless you sir. Mine was Barbi Benton.
Old September 28th, 2017, 09:39 AM

O.K., uh what were we we talking about? Oh yeah, Allan my interior is light grey with black carpet. Your right about interior colors, lacking by any manufacturer.
Old September 28th, 2017, 01:58 PM

Good evening.

Was a mad week- apologises for not visiting. 4 days of work, and im feeling like a 50 y.o.
Oh my god. Max 9 weeks anymore. Thank god. Next week was supposed to be easy, but at monday we have to use 7 hours just for driving back and forth. + Working to top it.

LondonCutlass - Happy Birthday- didnt realise your age, thought you were somewhere around lower 40's. Btw, stop busting my bubble about crappy British weather

Jamesbo - Same story here with dispatchers... Even hearth-attach is more consistent they say..

Allan R - Life is good, if not hectich. Im just now counting days to the end. When my work ends, someone wise told me to spend time with my beloweds. And thats what im going to do.

Okay- have a day everyone. Going to visit our summer cottage with my friend at weekend to fix almost collapsed chimney.
All the best for everyone of you.
Old September 28th, 2017, 02:37 PM

Evening all,

Good day today, went into the city for our meal with the bank, but no Mike, it wasn't in my honour! We were there with several other childcare providers that bank with Barclays to do a bit of networking. Great views over London from the 31st floor of the Barclays building in Canary Wharf.
Mike, I had a couple of small tattoos in my 20s and just thought why not, but only on places not visible.

CQR. Thank you. Not so fussed about making it as long as Heff but I'd be happy having half as much fun.

London weather report - especially for Inline. Today was mild with sunny periods highs of 68 tomorrow similar but slightly cooler over the weekend.
Old September 28th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thors close

Turned out to be a beautimus 74* day here. Very unusual for us at this time of year. I'll take the nice weather while it stays, but I figure it means I'm gonna have to cut the lawns a bit more.

Herve the trash man took all the offerings I put curb side. He knows we typically don't have more than one bag of trash so he likely didn't find it inconvenient that I had that small mountain for him. He did however refuse to take the neighbors trash because they loads up the plastic bin to over 40 lbs which is his legal right here to refuse to lift.

London - Nice to hear all went well.

Dan - Ummm, you and Jim appear to be on a roll.

Jouni - Welcome back from the tar pits! sounds like you have some busy days ahead. Btw, what's with the richest man in the graveyard add to your signature? I worked my tail off yesterday (for an older guy anyway) and I remember when I was only 50 what I did wouldn't have winded me in the slightest. How times have changed.

Jim - I don't want to post what I googled after you asked yer question. There's apparently a lot of really cute ones out there I'd get banned for posting here, and I'm sure my missus would not be amused either.

Scot - Where are ya bud?

Pulled the trigger on all the flooring and backsplash today. My wallet has become designer status. Thin and empty. Apparently this is good for me to remain in the Mrs 's good books.

Enjoy your evening
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I must have been more worn out than I thought. Went to bed at 1030 last night and didn't get up until almost 1 this afternoon. Well, got up for Tiger but that was only a few minutes each time. I guess dusting cars takes a lot out of a guy.

Jamesbo is that look what one would call sultry, or seductive?

Clint enjoy the rain while it will still run away. Once it becomes fluffy you're stuck with it for awhile. Hope the inspection went okay today.

London I ran with some guys years ago and we all had bikes and everyone was getting tattoos. I'm glad I didn't. I'm not really the tattoo sort. Besides I might want to work for the FBI some day.

So Dan you are Saturn free. Hope you like the new ride. I think every car has either black or grey interior. Saves the manufacturers money. If no one gives us a choice, then what can we do.

Okay time for work. First of two. I'm running dangerously low on time off. I'm gonna have to stick it out now until the first of the year. I'd have to have a major illness that kept me out I think three weeks or more before I could get disability. Hm.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old September 29th, 2017, 03:53 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Inline, You know what they say..."all work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy"

Dan That Barbi pic, is magnificent. I never saw enough of the Bunnies to pic a favorite, I do have a vague recollection of Teri Peterson around 1980.

Have a day all.
Old September 29th, 2017, 05:22 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter beautiful day

Boy talk about getting a song stuck in your head all day, There are hundreds of beautiful babes centerfolds. Besides having a staple in her navel, there's one named Camilla something or other, [I think she married the Tampa bay QB. ] That has a full frontal Kojak look

I need to stop here before I get into NFL politics

Old September 29th, 2017, 09:34 AM

I was a teenager when I got that issue of PB. I worked part time after school at a local business that distributed magazines to all of the stores in the area. The unsold (returns) would get the covers removed and sent back to the publishers for credit. We were allowed to take these returns for free, and sometimes in my stack of mags, one with the cover intact snuck in there.
Old September 29th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slept good today, not a bad night last night. Got up and mowed a little.

Well my exciting trailer never materialized over the summer. I called a week or so before I was going to Ohio and the trailer place said, we don't have any of those right now, but we'll call you when we get some, hopefully before you get here. They knew I was ready to buy. Never heard a peep. Still haven't. So now I'm thinking maybe I'll get a bigger trailer with a goose neck. Even the widest car trailers are a tight squeeze for a big van or truck.

Friday. What's got me thinking about a big trailer is I want to go see a Dodge van in North Carolina. This would be sent to Australia to be the party van. If it were there I might be more inclined to go more than once a year.

Well have a good weekend everyone. I don't have any real plans, but as usual lots to do. Gotta get through tonight first. My buddy will be there so we'll have some fun, probably at other people's expense.

See ya's.
Old September 29th, 2017, 04:13 PM
MOTORHEAD

Hi
How
Are
You

bitter sweet day today

the 442 fired right up

went to memorial service

had a few beers in the garage

b
Old September 30th, 2017, 09:53 AM

WTH? 12:51 pm and I'm the first to post today? Off to a country store about 15 miles east of me to get 10lbs of blueberries, hope that they last through he winter.
Old September 30th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from a big car show that was about an hour from my house. They have this show in the downtown every year, there were about 400 cars there, a few Oldsmobiles. Saw a few people I know, it was a good time.

Dan that's a lot of blueberries.

Weather has just been glorious these last couple weeks. And it's going to be 70s this weekend and no rain. This is truly the best time of year around here. It's actually a little early to be this cool, so I hope that doesn't mean an early winter. Or an unusually cold one. Let's see. If I move close to my Mom in Florida and commute, that's 10 hours of work, 10 hours of driving, and 4 hours to live. I'll have to ask Tiger what he thinks.

Well it's evening, guess I'll do something leisurely. Hope everyone has a good weekend.