The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Ontario Earthquake

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:10 PM

Ontario Earthquake

I have never felt an earthquake this strong before. Here in Ottawa, we have had earthquakes before, but normally they feel like a bus or truck driving down the road.

As soon as stuff started shaking, the power and cell phones went out.

Supposedly a 5.0 magnitude. It was centered 60km north of Ottawa. The new reports say it was felt in Toronto, Montreal and even into the United States.

Who felt it?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:14 PM
Trying to remember member

Felt it here in Cleveland Oh. Was a gentle rocking motion.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Cutlass Lover

I just posted an article from our news here in Ohio, in Rob's Summer in Tx. thread. I felt it! Here ya go!! It was weird....

An earthquake shook Cleveland and surrounding suburbs just after 1:40 p.m. Wednesday.

The U.S. Geological Survey reports that the exact time of the quake was 1:41:41 p.m.

According to Michael Hansen of the Ohio Seismic Network, an earthquake took place and registered a 5.5 on the Richter Scale.

Bob Bartolotta, at the Natural History Museum in Cleveland, says that the quake's epicenter was 38 miles north of Ottawa, Canada, in Quebec province near the Ontario border.

Viewers are reporting that their houses were shaking and swaying from Hudson to Painesville to Canton.

Stick with Fox 8 News and FOX8.com for more information as it becomes available.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM

Just trying to wake up Ottawa before the G20 in Toronto so our leaders don't sleep through it!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by car_designer
I have never felt an earthquake this strong before. Here in Ottawa, we have had earthquakes before, but normally they feel like a bus or truck driving down the road.

As soon as stuff started shaking, the power and cell phones went out.

Supposedly a 5.0 magnitude. It was centered 60km north of Ottawa. The new reports say it was felt in Toronto, Montreal and even into the United States.

Who felt it?
5.0? Heck, I used to live in SoCal. 5.0's barely make the evening news in SoCal.

My first one was a 6.3 (remember, it's a log scale) not too long after I moved there.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:52 PM

wow, they sure made that geography confusing, mention a city in Ontario then say it was centered in Quebec....
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM

I was in one on a Greek island with my girlfriend. 7.0 and I could see the stone archway swaying back and forth. The island was completely destroyed in 1953 so the codes in Greece state that all new buildings have to be able to with stand 7. I'm glad the hotel we were in was up to codes. The only damage was a cracked window pane just as you enter the lobby.

Was also in an F5 tornado in Edmonton in 1989. Drove the 442 toward it while everyone was going the opposite way to go get my girlfriend because she lived in its path. Passed a cop at 75 miles per hour while he was blocking a side street. He didn't bother following. Got her and got out with minor damage. Wow, I must have really liked her, to drive the 442 toward a tornado. We're married now. Now that I look back, she must be bad luck..........
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Crazy Canuck

Also a severe tornado in Midland tonight - 1.5 hours north of Toronto.

Wayne
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:10 PM

If you were standing on the glass floor in the CN Tower's observation lounge at the right time....that would leave stain.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Registered Abuser

My wife and I were attending her grandfather's funeral (in St. Catherines, Ontario). We were out for a smoke and came back in. We were asked if we felt that? We said no, because we were deep in conversation and somewhat oblivious.

Either way, it created some jovial conversation about the earth shaking at that particular time.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:33 PM

I honestly thought it was just some vibrations from construction or something, at first. But it got stronger and didn't stop. I finally realised what it was, but I had no idea what to do.

My parents were out when it happened, but were in their minivan, and felt nothing. The only clue that something was weird, was that traffic lights were out.

Last edited by car_designer; June 23rd, 2010 at 08:43 PM.