The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Earthquake in New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:20 AM

Earthquake in New Zealand

I'm listening to the news and they're talking about a substantial earthquake in New Zealand. I know we've got at least a couple members from there. Everybody OK?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:47 AM
Cutlass Lover

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing! It's on my MSN homepage - says 65 dead, over 100 trapped. 6.3 magnitude - that's pretty powerful! Looks like a lot of devistation..... How sad. Things are getting stranger and stranger with the weather, storms, earthquakes, floods..... not looking good. Lets keep them in our prayers!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:24 AM

They only spent about 60 seconds on the news yesterday, no detailed reports. I wonder about the members there as well. Sure wish we could get better world news. Our news channels suck here in Washington State.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:49 AM

Find your BBC channel.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:53 AM

Hey All,

I've got some news this morning from Montreal, we get the BBC channel, apparently it struck at a shallow depth of 3 miles and is the second earthquake in 6 months. and the worst since 1931. This magnitude what apparently in excess of 5.0.

Hope everyone is alright,

-Tony

-1972 Cutlass 'S' in Bamboo Yellow
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:12 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Centered near Christchurch. Yes hope all members are good there. I also have family there, too.
Larry
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

It stuck at lunch time, the worst possible time, there had been a bigger 'quake recently but it struck at night.
New Zealand is a modern nation and has strictly applied building codes, this kept casualties to a minimum but small comfort to the victims.
I never begrudge paying my BBC licence fee.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:04 AM

Thoughts and prayers with everyone there........................
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM

I heard about it on the news last night. Two big ones in 6 months.

I hope everyone is ok.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM

Hi guys from New Zealand, devastating news from Christchurch am sure all affected appreciate your kind words and thoughts. Death toll at 39 so far. Could not have happened at a worse time 12.51 pm and most people just starting to relax slightly from the previous major shake. I dont know if there are any members living or visiting the area, I personally have no family or friends there. Response from other countries with help has been fantastic Australia USA Japan and many others. Goes to show we can be one big family when needed really, pity it doesnt happen more often under better circumstances. From the previous major shake in September they have hundreds if not thousands of after shocks etc.
Kelvin
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Thoughts and prayers with everyone there........................
x2
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM

55 now confirmed dead up to 300 missing and have just rescued 15 people been trapped for 21hours
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:00 PM

My thought and prayers go out to all the New Zealander's on site and all others.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM

Thanks guys --yep she`s not pretty down here.Thankyou very much for your words .
And guess what our friends have come to our rescue (or in the case of the LA County police dept , coming tomorrow --74 medics, firemen n associated experts)
The australian experts are here, the Japanese with their search dogs, the english and lots of others whose offers we appreciate.
Lunch time --not a good time.
You know that dust billowing down the street brings bad bad recent US memories.
We had an earthquake in sept in christchurch .7.1 I believe --just getting the infrastructure back when this thing hit --only 6.4? but very shallow n very close .This one has caused new damage and finished off buildings already condemned from the last shake.
I have friends there and one aunt but the lines aren`t to be used --saved for those who need them .I can txt em but ...
Was felt where I live but too far away for damage.
I am not sure where we go but it will be forward .
thanks
mike
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks for the updates, glad to hear that there is a lot of people coming in to help those in need. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM

Dang, people in the southern hemisphere are getting hammered this year. Australia, New Zealand, Brazil... Actually if it is "southern" anything they get pounded. Look at the southern US with snow this year.

Hope things get back to normal as quickly as possible. Our prayers are with them.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:41 AM

Confirmed dead now at 71 and will rise, and still hundreds missing.

Reports this morning of missing peoples' homes that have been burgled overnight, there are some absolute lo-lifes.

John
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
Dang, people in the southern hemisphere are getting hammered this year. Australia, New Zealand, Brazil... Actually if it is "southern" anything they get pounded. Look at the southern US with snow this year.
Originally Posted by 442much

Hope things get back to normal as quickly as possible. Our prayers are with them.
442 --seems that way doesn`t it.? We have been fairly blessed over the years with a great living standard, lack of diseases etc but earthquakes and volcanic activity whilst infrequent from a lifethreatening perspective always lurk beneth the surface. .
Ironically, it is these things which created our country and lifted it from the sea-2 plates pushing against one another.It is these things which make tourism our largest earner with all the natural beauty.It is these things which are also potentially deadly.
The CBD is where most fatalities seem to be is being continuously worked at . A few hundred missing and that ofcourse , is ominous.
The domestic situation where people have liveable homes is going to continue--mostly without water and sewerage for quite some time .Tankers of water are ofcourse pouring(pun intended) into the city .The toiletries--you have to dig a hole in the backyard !!Or you can share the communal portable loos up n down the streets.
Some have power.Don`t see this city being back to" normal "for a few years
Anyway, that`s just a bit of an update. All very new and "up in the air" at this point
thanks for your concern and prayers on behalf of all new zealanders.(kiwis)

mike
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:37 PM

Thanks for keeping us posted. I heard about it the first day and nothing else since.
Our prayers are with our Kiwi Friends.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:52 PM

Whew! I was just looking at this on the news this morning. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with y'all down there! I always thought shallow was good apparently not.
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:54 AM

Sadly the confirmed dead total has risen to 103 with 228 still unaccounted for.
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:33 PM

On top of all the personal misery we now have service stations and various shops that are taking advantage of the situation increasing prices of fuel and important food stuffs etc. Also the looters that are running around scavenging and making life worse for those affected. Personally I think these indiviuals and businesses should have their photos and names spread across all the news media throughout the country if not the world. If only I could write the words that can only describe these bludgers (wow that was hard to contain myself)
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:09 PM

[quote=stoolie1;256282]On top of all the personal misery we now have service stations and various shops that are taking advantage of the situation increasing prices of fuel and important food stuffs etc. Also the looters that are running around scavenging and making life worse for those affected. Personally I think these indiviuals and businesses should have their photos and names spread across all the news media throughout the country if not the world. If only I could write the words that can only describe these bludgers (wow that was hard to contain myself)[/quote]
Yep we can`t let loose with kiwi expletives .I just don`t understand where these "people" come from.The ones caught won`t get an easy ride from the police and I can`t believe the judges will be smiling.
Maybe use them for a canterbury rugby training session.That they even get justice and a hearing is the downside of of western democracy.
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:31 PM

It's sad but the dregs of society always prey on the less fortunate when natural disasters occur. As far as I am concerned the looters should be shoot on site and the store owners should be shunned by all until they are out of business. Greed is a horrible thing.
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM

I remember hearing a story of an old woman in Japan during the Kyoto earthquake. The day before she was selling batteries for the equivalent of $1 each. On the day of the earthquake a reporter stopped and asked her how much her batteries were now. She said xx yen ($1). The reporter asked "How come the price is the same today as yesterday, you could probably make 10 x what you're asking." She answered "Why would I want to profit on other peoples' suffering?"

If I had money like Bill Gates, I would find that old woman and make sure that she'd live very, very comfortably for the rest of her life.
Old February 26th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Hope and pray for all involved down there.
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Still no more rescues, just a mounting death toll now at 147 from 20 different countries and 200 still missing.

The faces of two of the dirt bag thieves were shown on the TV news last night.
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Thumbs up

Actually I just talked to my buddy who is a fellow firefighter who is over there doing search and rescue. Yesterday they pulled 27 SURVIVIORS out and only 6 victims.. Today 17 SURVIVORS and 2 victims!!!! Go Josh !!!!
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nor Cal Andy
Actually I just talked to my buddy who is a fellow firefighter who is over there doing search and rescue. Yesterday they pulled 27 SURVIVIORS out and only 6 victims.. Today 17 SURVIVORS and 2 victims!!!! Go Josh !!!!

I hope that is so, I have just watched the 6.00 pm news here and they have recovered a lot of bodies but no survivors since Wednesday. (NZ time)

John
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by YukonOlds
I hope that is so, I have just watched the 6.00 pm news here and they have recovered a lot of bodies but no survivors since Wednesday. (NZ time)

John

Correct--no survivors at all since wed last.
mike
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Has a donation web site been set up anywhere? Usually there is one posted on the news programs but I haven't seen anything for this disaster.
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Has a donation web site been set up anywhere? Usually there is one posted on the news programs but I haven't seen anything for this disaster.

Pat,
There are some good things happening for sure . Businesses who can`t work are being supported for 6 weeks @ $X /employee (hopefully to avoid layoffs and allow time to consider a new bizzo relocation whilst retaining the staff). People who will not be working again get $X /week for 6 weeks.
This is a "start-up " package whilst the government has time to come up with a more comprehensive long term package.
Ofcourse tthere are qualifications to the above - ie company is not a national/international co.--mcdonalds, shell etc
And the co. is not insured for such.

Governments worldwide are starting to donate heavily.And ofcourse ,individuals are too.I don`t know through which agencies -red cross is one I recall (because some scammers tried to cash in by phishing ! )

Overall human kindness is something that I have not witnessed before , to such an event.

And people from all walks have been on the ground , in the suburbs helping in any n every way.
The university students,often lambasted as an unruly bunch for their graduation antics are helping bigtime. Roughly 1000 /day head out with their shovels n barrows to help the oldies or whoever.They have got themselves buses and head out each morning from their despatch point .
The farmers(incl. lots of wives) -nationwide, have arrived with trucks n loaders etc (.Only small --under 4 ton --) as the roads are too weak to take heavy loads. etc etc etc
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:25 PM

Before and after pics of buildings of some Christchurch buildings.

Hold and drag slider over photo.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/4705106/Photos-Before-and-after-the-Christchurch-earthquake
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:45 AM

Good Grief

Prayers sent to all.