The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

My first white Christmas

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM

My first white Christmas

After waiting almost 40 years, I finally had a white Christmas in Dallas, TX! Not a dusting, but real "make a snowman type snow".
There was more on the ground on Christmas eve; Alice and I walked the block looking at Christmas lights.
A beautiful gift from God...

Merry Christmas to all!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0497.jpg (116.6 KB, 34 views)
IMG_0505.jpg (82.4 KB, 37 views)
IMG_0475.jpg (65.3 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; December 25th, 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:05 AM

I have a funny story for you. My grandfather lived in San Antonio for most of the seventies. He owned a carlot and bodyshop. One year they had a cold winter. He turns on the water hose and lays it in the driveway. The water gets on the road and turns to ice. He lives at a four way stop. So he was handing out business card to every one that wrecked. He was very underhanded old man, but no every realized what he did. The only way I know about it he told me about it when I worked for him about 16 years ago.
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:16 AM

I drove up 35 through Fort Worth about 11 pm on the 22nd trying to beat the storm and heading for Minnesota. When we got to Kansas it started to drizzle and by the time we got to Iowa it was freezing rain. I got home about 7 pm on the 23rd and the snow started about 1 hr after I got home. I heard travel through Iowa was down to 30 mph and only 1 lane up 35.
We're running out of places to pile the snow.
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:56 AM
GM Enthusiast

Well Rob, those of us from the northern states like to share the wealth! So enjoy the snow and Merry Christmas.
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Yup, a beautiful day in North Texas! Hope everybody had their Oldsmobile(s) undercover.
Old December 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM

I think the paper said it's been 80 years since we actually had snow on Christmas Day in Dallas. Just beautiful! Sunshine today, and up to 32! Hopefully, it will get a little warmer, and melt the ice rink (my driveway that runs UPhill to the street). Yes, Merry Christmas to you all, and the Happiest of New Years!
Old December 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Merry Christmas! The folks on the news last night said this is the first time in the history of weather recordings that D/FW has had a measurable amount of snow on Christmas eve. 2"!

--Ryan
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Merry Christmas from the Great White North and enjoy the snow.I live about 50 miles north of lake ontario and I can see the grass on the lawn right now and the wind is out of the east at 35 mph.The snow makes everything look clean and fresh,it's beautiful and I hope you enjoy it while it lasts,we were hoping for snow and will be getting freezing rain in the next few hours.
Steve
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Been a few years,But absolutly no snow at all in Toronto.Enjoy Rob.
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM
...should get a life....

Good luck to you Rob.
Christmas day in your world right now, Boxing Day here.
We had a warm and very humid Xmas Day until it started raining in the afternoon.
That was a Xmas Miracle. Our big water tank ran dry on Xmas Eve so we only had a little water left in smaller tanks. The grass is all dead and there are bush-fires out to the west of us. It rained all night and it looks like its gonna start again so thank you Father Xmas. Also found the Olds I want in NC and I have a serious enquiry on mine (auction ends today) so touch wood this could turn out to be a very good Xmas indeed.
Enjoy your snow guys. One day I'll spend Xmas over there and hopefully get a white Xmas too.
Cheers
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Marry Christmas.
Old December 25th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Call me crazy but I love a good snowstorm!!!
We could use a few feet of snow right now to bring a bit of excitement to this boring weather. My new snowthrower is all gassed up and ready for action but it looks like there is no snow in the forecast to speak of.
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM

Well, so much for another Christmas. I am about ready to hit the sack. I got a few gift cards to buy parts with and we ate a lot as usual. Sonow was mostly gone by the time we left, and we did take Lady, tops up of course...
My mom had left earlier and near her house, two car were spun all around by little ice patches.
I hit some ice patches in the alley and slipped around a little, but no drama or unexpected results.

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
My grandfather lived in San Antonio for most of the seventies. He owned a carlot and bodyshop. One year they had a cold winter. He turns on the water hose and lays it in the driveway. The water gets on the road and turns to ice. He lives at a four way stop. So he was handing out business card to every one that wrecked.
Definetely a way to bring in business! I bet this little ice we had caused 1000s of wrecks.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Well Rob, those of us from the northern states like to share the wealth!
How considerate! Either send some snow this way or maybe we will need to trade places some day...

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Yup, a beautiful day in North Texas! Hope everybody had their Oldsmobile(s) undercover.
I went no where Christmas Eve, even missed mass. However, today was a good Olds riding day!

Originally Posted by yzzerdd
Merry Christmas! The folks on the news last night said this is the first time in the history of weather recordings that D/FW has had a measurable amount of snow on Christmas eve. 2"!
wow - that was more than I would have expected! Talk about a rare event! How often does Haley's comet come around??

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
The snow makes everything look clean and fresh,it's beautiful and I hope you enjoy it while it lasts,
It came and went fast. Most is gone now. Yes, fresh indeed, as long as you stay away from the yellow snow...

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
Good luck to you Rob.
Christmas day in your world right now, Boxing Day here.
We had a warm and very humid Xmas Day until it started raining in the afternoon.
That was a Xmas Miracle. Our big water tank ran dry on Xmas Eve so we only had a little water left in smaller tanks. The grass is all dead and there are bush-fires out to the west of us. It rained all night and it looks like its gonna start again so thank you Father Xmas.
Boxing day? What do you box up?
Glad you got some rain - we musta got all yours this year... My sprinklers have not run for 3 months or more!

Originally Posted by marinus_
Call me crazy but I love a good snowstorm!!!
We could use a few feet of snow right now to bring a bit of excitement to this boring weather.
I love it too! I love seeing the TX people panic when 1" of snow is forcasted - they think they are gonna all die...

Hope all had a great Christmas!
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:57 PM
...should get a life....

[quote=Lady72nRob71;134672]

Boxing day? What do you box up?
Glad you got some rain - we musta got all yours this year... My sprinklers have not run for 3 months or more!

You learn something new every day......didn't realise Boxing Day wasn't a special deal in the States.
It's the day after Xmas Day and according to Google, our Canadian, UK, Kiwi & Aussie folk recognise it.
Over here it's when the big post-Xmas sales start for the shopaholics.
For the rest of us it's a day of reflection...like why did I drink so much.

What is Boxing Day?

Boxing Day is a day the higher classes gave gifts to the lower classes. Before or on December 25th people of similar class would exchange gifts to celebrate the Christmas season. Gifts were not exchanged with the lower class until the next day called Boxing Day. It is also known as St. Stephen’s Day.
Why is the holiday named Boxing Day?

The holiday is named Boxing Day because the tradition of giving gifts of cash, food, clothing and other goods to the less fortunate were placed into boxes for easier transportation. The goods were distributed based on the family needs and their services to the giver.
Who celebrates Boxing Day?

Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Britain, and other Commonwealth Countries celebrate Boxing Day on December 26th.
Old December 26th, 2009, 05:45 AM

[quote=Lady72nRob71;134672]
I love it too! I love seeing the TX people panic when 1" of snow is forcasted - they think they are gonna all die...

I was in your state in 2005 when you had a bad ice storm. took me 4.5 hrs to drive from DFW airport to Waxahachie. Wouldn't wish that on anybody and yes the Texa drivers were crazy, cars and semi's pilled up everywere. Worse then snow by far.
Old December 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM

Very nice story 70 Cutlass S, nice way to make money..!!
Old December 26th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
The holiday is named Boxing Day because the tradition of giving gifts of cash, food, clothing and other goods to the less fortunate were placed into boxes for easier transportation.
Thanks for the explanation - I have heard of it and I knew boxes were involved somewhow... Sounds like a very generous holiday to give to those you do not even know. The holiday name needs some work, IMHO... Long ago I once thought it meant boxing, as in punching people, kinda like what happens at the stores during after Christmas sales. That happens around here often on black fridays, also.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; December 26th, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Huh. I always thought that Australians, Canadians, the UK, and the like all just happened to heavily celebrate boxing--the sport.

Something new every day

Yeah, 1" of snow completely paralizes the metroplex. Texans have NO IDEA how to drive in the snow. They think they can get on the interstate and do 70MPH. Heck, when I was 16 living in West Virginia (last year) I had to drive up and down those mountains even if there was a foot of snow to get to the county high school, 8 miles away. Never once did I wreck, or even loose control.

I tell ya, my favorite thing to do in the ice is go to the empty school parking lot and have some fun purposefully sliding around.

--Ryan
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
2 '66 98's

As I browse the posts, I see that no one from the northeast U S has chimed in so I'll give my 2 cents worth. We had 25 inches of snow last Saturday, the 2nd highest amount in December in recorded weather. The sun has been shining everyday since until yesterday and quite a bit of snow has melted. Yesterday, Christmas, the temp got in the high 40's and it rained all day, melting just about all the snow that was left. It is near 50 degrees today and still raining -- now it will be flooding!! This has been the wettest year since I moved into this house in 1965.
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by yzzerdd
I tell ya, my favorite thing to do in the ice is go to the empty school parking lot and have some fun purposefully sliding around.
Way cool, as long as the light poles do not slide into you also. I loved ice driving with my go-kart back in 1988. When a little of it melted, it was so slick i was stuck in the alley and could not go anywhere!

Actually, if you want to see peopl'es ice driving skills, the local go cart tracks often have an "ice cart" simulator - smooth glass tracks and hard plastic wheels. Funny thing was that I won the race - I did not know i was that good and that was 15 years ago! Most people just got in and mashed the gas. Turn out of a skid? That phrase blew their mind... This was more like bumper cars at high speeds.

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
As I browse the posts, I see that no one from the northeast U S has chimed in so I'll give my 2 cents worth. We had 25 inches of snow last Saturday, the 2nd highest amount in December in recorded weather. The sun has been shining everyday since until yesterday and quite a bit of snow has melted. Yesterday, Christmas, the temp got in the high 40's and it rained all day, melting just about all the snow that was left. It is near 50 degrees today and still raining -- now it will be flooding!! This has been the wettest year since I moved into this house in 1965.
Most likely, a white Christmas is nothing new and exciting for the northern folks. You guys are probably sick of it by time Christmas even comes around... Everytime you hear the song "It's lovely weather for a sleigh ride", you all would want to shoot the radio. It hit 50 here today, the last of the snow is melting away. Looks like you need to keep the pumps manned and the lifeboats ready!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; December 26th, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old December 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Congrats and I'm glad you were able to experience your first white X-mas.

You are right about it being nothing new or exciting about snow to us up north...it's pretty, but a pain in the butt if your an adult.

Here's what my backyard looks like every year after a light snow

DSC00120.jpg

My Son loves the snow

DSC00154.jpg

The deer around the area don't seem to mind the snow

DSC00142.jpg

I just don't like it!

Old December 26th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Registered

We had a wet Christmas. It rained most of the day and melted all the snow too.
Kids who got sleds and bicycles were out of luck, I hated getting a sled on Christmas when there was no snow on the ground.
My Blazon Snow-Wing is hanging in my Barn at the wait.

The best part of a lot of snow wasn't snowmen it was making a six ton 10foot diameter snowball at recess on the playground at school.

Snow forts were major building projects, snowball fights were war, surgical tubing and 2x4's made excellent 1000 foot range snowball lanchers.
Old December 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
Congrats and I'm glad you were able to experience your first white X-mas.

Here's what my backyard looks like every year after a light snow
Thanks... I was (still am) sick, so i could not do much outside except taking a quick walk and a bunch of pictures.
Wow - love that first picture - how serene... When can I come over and try that "sledding" thing I hear about in the Christmas songs?

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Kids who got sleds and bicycles were out of luck, I hated getting a sled on Christmas when there was no snow on the ground.
What is cruel is giving a kid in Texas a sled for Christmas. If there is actually enough snow to use it within 2 years, no hills would be able to be found... Of course, you would have to mail order it from somewhere up north.

it was making a six ton 10foot diameter snowball at recess on the playground at school.
Beeen there, done that but it was actually in my mom's front yard. We would try to park it in a shady area in the north side, so where it would hopefully be gone by the time lawn mowing started. There would be a nice mud hole for a few years where the ball was.

Snow forts were major building projects, snowball fights were war, surgical tubing and 2x4's made excellent 1000 foot range snowball lanchers.
I remember snowball wars when i was a kid. Unfortunately, I liked to fortify my '***** with ice...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; December 26th, 2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
car guy

Rob we were susposed to go to my dads place Christmas day but because of the weather we didn't. We waited until today. Keep in mind its only 90min Northwest and is 3 days later. There was still snow in places deeper than my daughters neck. It was like nothing I have ever seen. We counted over 20 cars still abandoned and at least 200 spots where you could see cars had been of the road but towed out.
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Iowa got just a little snow! This was Christmas night at about 1am everyone else was sound asleep but I wasnt tired a bit so I stepped out and snapped a few pics,Check out the flamed mailbox

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Rob we were susposed to go to my dads place Christmas day but because of the weather we didn't. We waited until today. Keep in mind its only 90min Northwest
Wow- what city does he live in? Hard to believe that much snow so close to here. Did your daughter enjoy it?
As of yesterday evening, I still had some snow in my back yard garden.

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
I wasnt tired a bit so I stepped out and snapped a few pics,Check out the flamed mailbox
Where's the pictures?? Did you see Santa while you were out?
Of course you were not really being "good" by being out so late....