The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

No Response to parts wanted

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2019, 06:12 AM

No Response to parts wanted

I am usually a stand up guy and try to respond to inquiries about parts wanted; but I really get irritated when a wanted post comes up for something I have and I send a reply that what I have is what the person wants. Then nothing in response. Does this bother anyone else? PS, first time poster.
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:41 AM

Of course it bothers people, but it's the world we live in and always has been. It was just the same back in the day of newspaper for-sale ads. No guarantee that either a buyer or seller you contact from a printed ad will ever answer the phone or return a voicemail message. If they don't, you move on. The same situation applies here. I've sent emails in response to ads in JWO where the contact info is only an email address, and once in a while I get no response. I chalk it up to experience and keep looking.

Exactly how much time and effort are you out in sending him a PM? Too small to measure? That's what I suspected. But you respond, anyway, because, once in a while, you DO make a sale or you DO obtain that part you need, and it makes all the annoying experiences in between worth it.
Old July 12th, 2019, 08:47 AM

Sometimes new people come on here to sell a car or search for a part. I think they plaster an ad on several different sites like a shotgun blast with email or phone number. It used to be good manners to reply when contacted, not today. I think the moderators do a good job making sure these "one time" people post a price when selling something.
Keep doing what you're doing and shrug off the disappointments.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; July 12th, 2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old July 12th, 2019, 09:14 AM

What bothers me is people making a business out of our hobby and charging obscene prices.
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:10 AM

or ....

I get reply for a fender on ebay ...1971 Lemans ....
I am restoring my dads 71 Lemans convert he wrecked 15 years ago ... do you have any other parts?.. thanks Jackie

I send her my contact info ... she rings me we chat with her body man .... they basically need a front clip less drivers fender and hood

hes fixing the hood .... cooooooool I think .... she buys the fender and we use the shipping cost for the radiator support I have ...she will pay fastenal at her end
once it delivers to death vally from seattle area .....
still cool..... I find her a front bumper and inner fender a shroud a clutch fan.and misc... at my buddies house in Portland ORegon .. I leave sunday 6am his place is a 2+ hour drive away,.,,,
then 45 to the parts garage ....
I call her send her pictures.... I get the go ahead .drive spend all day onthe road driving... buy the parts... says money will be in my pay pal when I get home....
I get home ... nothing ... well ok .... call the next day and text her... nothing ... 3 days go by Im chapped.... no email no text no voice mail nothin
I ask for a response,,,, what do I get .....I AM IN SCHOOL TUESDAY WED THURSDAY ALL DAY ... this is thursday.... well ok I work all day also
so whats the problem with an evening phone call I respond... nothing ... zip zero till saturday... I send her a text saying I hope she is taking a commmunication class
because it seems she needs it.... this was saturday June 8th .... I get a text back I AM AT A FAMILY REUNION I WILL CALL YOU WHEN I HAVE TIME ....

WTF ?? really ok I let it ride till sunday night,,,, I call voice mail is fulll send a text ... no reply tuesday another text and full voice mail

the weekend rolls around.... I leave a voice mail saying its notcool not contacting me as this is not the way the car parts deals work with me ...

she sends me a note 2 minutes later saying to quit harrassing her .... or she will call the cops .... really ?? ok u wanna play that game eh ??

I text her that school must be helping because at least she s communicating .......... I get a F U text ..... Ok we are gettin some where //// slowly

I tell her I am leaving for vacation june 28th and I want these parts shipped ... and wont be back till the 15th .... 2 weeks go by gettin ready to

leavefor vacation and the day I told her I was leaving and the parts would be sitting outside while I was gone... and Im not responsible for em./..
she sends me a text .... I have been in the hospital I will cal you later.... F that I called right back it goes to voice mail//// I leave her a message
that I m glad your out and hopefully recovering fast ...

today 1o days later still not a peep from her.....

this is a night mare ..... workin on your dads car ... helping a lady ,,,, no respect not even a THANKS the day I chatted with her standing over the parts
I purchased from my buddy ...

it makes you leery about doing things out of your way for people .... but I still do it because theres very few bad apples in our car community

yah its a Pontiac car parts deal gone sideways ..

yah its still sittin alll skidded up andready to ship in my driveway still this am as I type this ....

out 300.00 100 in gas a day of my life .... hassles every day from my signifacant other .... gotts to look at it everytime I go into my shop
everytime a buddy comes over ... every time I chat with the neighbor ... even when I talk to my MOM she asks hows that ladys parts...

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze .... will it ever end ?????????

now this post will haunt me for the ever tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

moral of this story.... is well ,,,, I dont have one .............
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Wow, that was just a whole thing, wasn't it?
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
What bothers me is people making a business out of our hobby and charging obscene prices.
Logged in just to COMPLETELY agree with Koda! Stop jacking prices just because you think we're desperate for the part you have for sale! If it's way more than what I expect to pay (a.k.a. reasonable), I'm not going to give you the time of day in response because I know what your interest is in.
Old July 12th, 2019, 02:17 PM

you should talk Scott , your no stand up kind of guy,she 's probably just giving you what you deserve. you are the kind of guy that misrepresents your parts and charges more then they are worth ,ask someone to not buy them through your ebay auctions so you don't have to stand behind them and when someone is unhappy with how you treated/screwed them you refuse to talk to them. would you like me to continue? what comes around goes around . all it would of took was some communication and willingness to work something out on your part such as an exchange or something as I did want some other parts you had. I wouldn't recommend doing business with you . but I will say it's not too late to redeem yourself , you could be a man and do what's right! you are the kind of guy that Koda is talking about
Old July 12th, 2019, 04:24 PM

What? Did you even think for a half-second before posting this?

What about Fusick? Year One? Summit Racing? Rock Auto? And about 2 zillion other vendors? Haven't THEY all made a "business of our hobby?" Without these organizations, there would BE NO HOBBY.

It's called a free market. You may not like someone's price. Fine. Don't pay it. If enough people feel the way you do, the seller won't sell his item, and he'll either lower the price or go out of business. That's the way it works. But if enough people DO pay what you consider an obscene price, then either it's not as obscene a price as you think it is, or the buyer really needs it. In either case, if buyer and seller are in agreement, who are anyone else to criticize?

Businesses are not charities. Both businesses and individual sellers want as much for what they have to sell as they can get. There's nothing wrong with this. As long as the seller is willing and the buyer is willing, that's all that matters.
Old July 12th, 2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What? Did you even think for a half-second before posting this?

What about Fusick? Year One? Summit Racing? Rock Auto? And about 2 zillion other vendors? Haven't THEY all made a "business of our hobby?" Without these organizations, there would BE NO HOBBY.

It's called a free market. You may not like someone's price. Fine. Don't pay it. If enough people feel the way you do, the seller won't sell his item, and he'll either lower the price or go out of business. That's the way it works. But if enough people DO pay what you consider an obscene price, then either it's not as obscene a price as you think it is, or the buyer really needs it. In either case, if buyer and seller are in agreement, who are anyone else to criticize?

Businesses are not charities. Both businesses and individual sellers want as much for what they have to sell as they can get. There's nothing wrong with this. As long as the seller is willing and the buyer is willing, that's all that matters.
Your first line is rude AF.

The scope of the conversation was private parties on this website, and that was to what my comment referred.

I am well aware of free market economics. I am also aware we try to be friends here. I will not charge a friend a gouging price. You may think that the raw sale is all that matters, but I would like to be able to drink in friendship with any member here, and that matters to me in my business transactions and other conduct.
Old July 12th, 2019, 05:49 PM

The scope of the conversation was private parties on this website, and that was to what my comment referred.

I am well aware of free market economics. I am also aware we try to be friends here. I will not charge a friend a gouging price. You may think that the raw sale is all that matters, but I would like to be able to drink in friendship with any member here, and that matters to me in my business transactions and other conduct.
Well said , I agree . In the end it is not how much money we can make from parts, but the friendships we make along the way .some lose sight of this .
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:20 PM

But also spot on.

Bullshit. The OP's original comment was about this site, but your response was much more general.

I will not charge a friend a gouging price.
Well bully for you. When there's only one of something in the world, define a "gouging" price for it. And we're not talking necessities, such as bottled water that you sometimes see "gouging" prices for when a natural disaster strikes. We're talking about luxury goods, and that's what anything purchased for a hobby is. It's certainly not a necessity. People need water to live. They don't need old Oldsmobiles to live.
Old July 12th, 2019, 08:47 PM

Nah, it's just rude, as are a great many of your posts. I get to decide to what my comments refer when I make them, not you, so I'll thank you to not put words into my mouth.

You're not a very friendly person, so I'm not surprised you don't follow the same personal convictions that I do. I wasn't referring to the only one left of millions, or necessities, I was referring to parts which.....get sold here.
I'm not sure why I bother, but I will explain further. Let's say you buy something at 20 bucks. Should you charge 40? 200? 2000? 200,000? There's a societal concept, which you may be familiar with, called the "fair deal,"
and it's when both parties walk away satisfied. There are a bunch of guys on here I buy stuff from, and 2 I don't, if I can avoid it. It's not a good business model to gouge so hard your buyer doesn't come back, and I'm not sure
why you don't grasp this reasoning, as I would call it squarely in the realm of common sense.

Edit: I said seller, meant to say buyer.

Last edited by Koda; July 13th, 2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:41 PM
Olds Omega

I'm quite a newbie to this side and to like not only the topics with valuable technical knowhow about our cars, I love also such topics!

Here in Europe we have hardly any market on used parts, no yards with donor cars, nothing at all! So I depend on you guys!

Comments in such topics are more valuable as any ratings or seller/buyer feedback!

However I will always respond to any feedback on my parts wanted requests - just because this is what parents should teach their children.
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:11 AM
72 Olds CS

I think many of us are on CO daily if not more. I think others in the hobby maybe much more casual in their interest. If I post or pm a part for sale that's pretty much it, if I get a reply great if not I just chalk it up to they found the part or lost interest.
Old July 13th, 2019, 08:25 AM

My 2 cents, I believe it depends on the individual. If you're in the business of selling parts it's one thing, if it's just your hobby it's another. I've given away parts and had parts given to me.

No they weren't very rare parts just some things some one needed an I didn't [or they didn't]