The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Possible scam

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Randy C.

Possible scam

I am advertising a Corvette carburetor in an NCRS magazine (Driveline) and their on-line site. I got a response to my ad that sounds like a scammer to me but I'll put it out here to see what others have to say. The response came from a "John Jakoba", email john.jjonline001@gmail.com. He signs his name "Mr John" in his emails and it appears from the stilted English in his emails that English is not his native tongue.

Mr. John wanted pictures (there were already pictures in the ad), which I emailed to him. His response was that he "...really loves it...ready to purchase...state the price (that is also in the ad)...will mail a certified check to me...he will personally arrange for the pick-up after my bank confirms payment to me (nice touch, no shipping charges!)...take the ad off the site...".

In addition to asking for things that were already in the ad, he makes no mention at all of how he is going to use this carburetor. Most people (not all, but most) in the NCRS are Corvette enthusiasts and they like to talk about their Corvettes (as we do our Oldsmobiles!). This guy not only says nothing, he doesn't even indicate he is a collector car fan or what his intentions are for using this carburetor. That sounds weird to me. As well, I've read of situations where a seller gets a "certified check" and deposits it and the bank tells him it's good, only to find out a month later the "certified check" is counterfeit and no good at all.

Does anyone here know "Mr John" and can vouch for him? If so, I'll move forward. But, from what I see, this is someone on a mission to scam me out of $450!

Randy C.
Old July 25th, 2018, 02:05 PM

Check will eventually bounce and he will have your account info
Old July 25th, 2018, 02:15 PM

OR, he will 'mistakenly' send you a check for way over the amount of the sale, then request that you send him back the 'difference'. Some butthole tried that on my wife (artist), we contacted the FBI.
Old July 25th, 2018, 02:16 PM

If the little man on the back of your neck is telling you it's a scam.......... listen to him.
Old July 25th, 2018, 02:32 PM

Absolutely a scam.
Try this: email Mr John and get him to tell you where he is located, no matter where he is, even if it's across the country, tell him you will be in that area the day after tomorrow and can exchange the item for cash. Look up a local Police station close to Mr John and give him that address as the meeting place. He'll refuse to meet guaranteed.
Iv'e done this a few times and their reactions to the emails always make me laugh.
Old July 25th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Olds Fever

Sounds a little sketchy... I would dig for more info as previously suggested...

Recently I advertised a Cadillac Chassis Manual on Craig's List... Simple response to the ad was "Will you post to Staten Island"??? I responded yes and set the deal in motion... Perspective buyer responded "money" was in the mail and I should receive payment with 7/10 days... Red Flag went up as the mail delivery between Albany and Staten Island is 2, 3 days at the most... I decided it may be a scam and just waited... Payment was received on the 10th day from "Australia"... US cash money in an envelope... Shipped the manual to Staten Island and all was good... I have since had a second transaction with the same individual without a problem... No real indication he was from another country or any mention of his interest in Cadillacs... Won't say I will have the same luck next time...
Old July 25th, 2018, 04:16 PM

Are people still this stupid to fall for this scam?
Old July 25th, 2018, 05:23 PM

Id bet my life it is a scam, Post and ad on craigslist for anything with value over a couple hundred bucks and the emails and texts will roll in with offers to buy with cashiers checks or $ transfers.........Dont do it.
Its not a possible scam it is a scam.
Old July 25th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tell him to have the person picking up the carb to just bring cash. No cash, no carb.
Old July 25th, 2018, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Tell him to have the person picking up the carb to just bring cash. No cash, no carb.
^^this
Old July 25th, 2018, 08:49 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Randy, never heard of him. Ive been an NCRS member for many years. I just did a search on NCRS.org and low and behold the only thing that popped up was your post...lol. So ya its a slimeball scammer! Gary nailed it. His phone number is an IP and likely a phish waiting for you to click the link them bam. Not everyone has access to Driveline and NCRS dot org. So the slimeball has hacked something.mad:

Move on. A real vette guy will show up.
Old July 26th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Randy C.

Thanks all! I'm not even going to respond and see if he ever comes back. I doubt that he will.

I've sold lots of things on craigslist and thru NCRS and classicoldsmobile but this is the first time I've ever been hit by a scammer. I'm glad others have brought up in the past how these scammers work as it made me wary from the beginning of this guy.

I'll wait for a real Corvette guy to show up! Thanks again to all!

Randy C.
Old July 26th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ben442
Absolutely a scam.
Try this: email Mr John and get him to tell you where he is located, no matter where he is, even if it's across the country, tell him you will be in that area the day after tomorrow and can exchange the item for cash. Look up a local Police station close to Mr John and give him that address as the meeting place. He'll refuse to meet guaranteed.
Iv'e done this a few times and their reactions to the emails always make me laugh.
I would screw with him and use this suggestion.
Old July 26th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Maintained

funny way to play with scammers....TED

Old July 26th, 2018, 09:01 AM

Funny video. thx
Old July 26th, 2018, 10:29 AM

x2
Old July 26th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Jeff

The whole bit about, "I'll arrange for my shipper to come pick up" is always a red flag. I typically give it one more shot, just to be sure, and respond with, "Hey, this sounds like a scam, I'd really prefer to meet up and make the cash transaction in person. I will absolutely not be providing any info to accept a wire transfer."

There's always the the remote possibility, but I have not yet had any of these types of responses to my ads actually pan out. I've sold over $30k worth of stuff via Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, including motorcycles, ATV's, snowmobiles, boats, furniture, and various other miscellaneous items. I've dealt with this scam in various forms a couple dozen times.

No harm in coming here and asking.
Old July 26th, 2018, 12:18 PM

Same here. I put a car for sale ($1500) on Auto Trader. Ad said "NO TEXTING" . What do I get but a text message from a number area code that relates to New Jersey. The person says he is in Arizona and wants to buy the car for his dad. I replied it would cost more to ship the car to either place than the car is worth. He ignores this and wants my Pay Pal information so he can pay for the car and have it picked up. I said I don't do Pay Pal, cash in hand when the car is picked up. Never heard any more.
Old August 15th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Kyle

Originally Posted by ben442
Absolutely a scam.
I like that idea! Yeah I bought my car at the police station, it was kind of awkward... me and my dad walked in the lobby of the police station and just waited for the other guy to come while the police officer at the desk was just looking at us wondering what we were doing lol. But when you’re dealing with 4500 cash you always want the other guy on camera and not to dash on you!
Old August 16th, 2018, 02:59 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Police stations (quite a few in this area) have set up "safe zones" in their parking lots for internet transactions. Posted signs and video.
Old August 16th, 2018, 04:06 AM

Glad you sniffed out this scam. People are so dishonest.
Old August 16th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Randy C.

I never responded to this person's efforts, nor did I ever hear back from him. I guess that person didn't really want the carburetor that bad!

Randy C.
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:25 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

When I lived in Nigeria I amassed a vast fortune, unfortunately all my efforts to send it overseas were to no avail, so before I left I had to incinerate it....

Roger.