The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The bear is back again!

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2017, 08:03 AM

The bear is back again!

This is getting to be a real pain in the a$$. The garage door was lift open last night(not smart on my part) and the bear returned and got into the dog food,a 42 gallon plastic trash barrel half full of food, probably 50 lbs.Not happy to eat all he could there he drug it out of the garage past my 55, very narrow gap, and down the driveway where he knocked off the lid and bent the can in half then ate his fill.

No damage to my car that I can see so far but I'm going to need another trash can for sure. The dog is a little paranoid this morning as she wouldn't go out side without me being with her. Me I slept through the whole ordeal again. I can't believe that he carried that can full length of the garage and I didn't hear a thing.... Lock and load.... Tedd
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:07 AM

WOW, It could've been a lot worst. You are so lucky that the whole bear family didn't have a party in your garage. There's that saying, "If you leave the door open, anything can walk right in".
Old October 21st, 2017, 12:58 PM

Wow that bites, I'm glad there was no damage to anything else.
Old October 21st, 2017, 07:26 PM

Yep...

Old October 21st, 2017, 07:51 PM
same but different

I can't imagine having to deal with bears. Kinda scary given their behavior and size.

Makes dealing with raccoons, opossums and the occasional armadillo easy. .22

For bear, much larger. Be Safe.
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:45 PM

Large ordnance is never a issue at my house. The problem is I'm never armed when the damn bear comes around..... Someday someday, surprise surprise though.... Tedd
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:45 PM

well back again

No drama this time but he did vacuumed up everything that was left in the gravel that I didn't pick up.Oh and he deposited two LARGE piles of scat for me to dispose of. I hope he doesn't make my house his regular stop for the winter.... Tedd
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:55 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Large ordnance is never a issue at my house. The problem is I'm never armed when the damn bear comes around..... Someday someday, surprise surprise though.... Tedd
Haha, are we going to see some pics of bear steaks on your bbq soon
I hope it doesn't destroy too much till then , keep em' fed till your armed Tedd!!

Eric
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Now you will have a determined hungry bear trying to get through locked doors.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:15 AM

My next door neighbor has a picture taken a couple months ago of probably this bear on his game cam.He left the cam on while he was on vacation to add to his theft protection and when he viewed it it was like going to the zoo. It had the bear a bobcat,deer, fox and a turkey. I wasn't aware there was a bobcat in the area but there is no reason for there not to be.On the north side of my property it's about 12 miles to the next house......... Tedd
Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:19 AM

Glad to hear that the bear didn't damage your 55! Hope you can figure out a way to get rid of him. I think Funkwagon455 has a good idea.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:18 PM

.44 mag, 30-06, 45-70, .458 Socom, a 3.5" 12 ga slug....so many choices.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:38 PM

One of my uncles had an issue with a neighborhood dog getting into his garbage. He mixed a can of dog food with some red pepper and left it on the trash can. Next day there was a big bite out of the dog food and and he never again had an issue with his garbage being disturbed.

At the very least, you're seasoning the meat from the inside...
Old October 24th, 2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
.44 mag, 30-06, 45-70, .458 Socom, a 3.5" 12 ga slug....so many choices.
I have most of those plus many others that would do the job. I was or am a gunsmith (retired now) for about 30 years. A bear rug would look just fine on my living room floor... Tedd
Old October 25th, 2017, 01:38 PM
MOTORHEAD

I have most of those plus many others that would do the job. I was or am a gunsmith (retired now) for about 30 years. A bear rug would look just fine on my living room floor... Tedd

Poke a hole in that
rug
steak

large calibers do seem LOUD indoors

happy hunting
Old October 25th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Up in my neck of the woods the state will issue a special permit for problem animals. If its not bear season down there right now you might check on that aspect of it. Maybe its time to sit out on the deck with your favorite cannon.
Old October 29th, 2017, 09:07 AM

Crap, he is back

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Now you will have a determined hungry bear trying to get through locked doors.
Well he busted my garage door yesterday, during the day no less. I came home to the smashed garbage can (same can as before) sitting outside and a bent garage door. I had left the door open about 10 inches so the dog could get out and that was enough for the bear get leverage to push his way in. He pulled the roller hanger loose from the wall and bent the corner of the door back about 5 inches. I have repaired the door and reinforced the hanger but now he knows how to get in with force, I have no convenience that I can keep a determined bear out. No harm to my car,dog or other stuff but I have a real problem now besides tearing my house up. I ether have to take my dog with me every time I leave or lock her up inside all day which I don't like doing. Smoky is going to die..... Tedd
Old October 29th, 2017, 12:03 PM

Good. You'll get bear steaks and a rug out of the deal. You can cape him out and cut off the head, then ball that up and freeze it until you find a taxidermist who will not ask questions. Perpetual satisfaction will be yours when he's a rug and the head is set at the appropriate distance to prop feet upon in front of your favorite chair.
Old October 29th, 2017, 03:38 PM
MOTORHEAD

Well he busted my garage door yesterday, during the day no less. I came home to the smashed garbage can (same can as before) sitting outside and a bent garage door. I had left the door open about 10 inches so the dog could get out and that was enough for the bear get leverage to push his way in. He pulled the roller hanger loose from the wall and bent the corner of the door back about 5 inches. I have repaired the door and reinforced the hanger but now he knows how to get in with force, I have no convenience that I can keep a determined bear out. No harm to my car,dog or other stuff but I have a real problem now besides tearing my house up. I ether have to take my dog with me every time I leave or lock her up inside all day which I don't like doing. Smoky is going to die..... Tedd

Rick has high voltage zap wire up down and around his deck
bird feeders now

be care full where you ****
or lean on his deck now

can you not get a "muzzle" device
LoL

keep critter out of you house
bango
Old October 29th, 2017, 04:49 PM

After twisting and bending trying to get it back to where it belongs my garage door is now sticking when it is full up . This could be more expensive than I first thought.

Tomorrow I plan on stopping by the sheriff dept. ( no Fish and Game office around here) and see what my legal options are. I'm sure others have had similar problems and maybe they will get the wardens to trap the varmint and give it to someone else for them to play with. A big dead bear is hard to deal with, they don't have good handles to tug on.

When this all started I thought this will be done with in a few days, a nuisance but I've had bears before. I'm seeing now this guy is tenacious and is not going away on his own.... Tedd
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:04 PM

Understood on the no handles point. Were he a varmint, and worthless, like a feral hog in Florida where I grew up, we'd simply shoot them in the *** and they'd run off and die somewhere else. Might not be advisable on a bear.
Old October 29th, 2017, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Understood on the no handles point. Were he a varmint, and worthless, like a feral hog in Florida where I grew up, we'd simply shoot them in the *** and they'd run off and die somewhere else. Might not be advisable on a bear.
Crossed my mind.... Tedd
Old October 30th, 2017, 06:33 PM

Maybe the bear just took a shine to a really nice guy!
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:28 PM

Up date

A quick up date. I had bear discussions with three Sheriff officers with no help but got a phone number (which is sorta help) . I then contacted Fish and Game by phone using that number and and was passed down the line there to three other departments who don't do trouble bear issues, I finally got a number to the department that deals with interaction of wild animals and humans (where do they get these labels) but all I got was a polite answering machine asking for a return number so they can contact me at their earliest convenes which I guess is not today because I received no call .

Don't you just love bureaucracy?...... I need a rug... Tedd
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you or your family are threatened I think you are within your rights to shoot the damn thing. I know you have a selection of guns that are up to the job. I would have one locked and loaded.
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:32 PM

They are loaded and I can if my property or self are in danger.

The tools aren't the problem it's being where the bear is when I a'm armed or not asleep.... Tedd
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

And then you have to figure what the heck are you going to do with him.
Old October 31st, 2017, 06:17 AM

Sounds like a quick lesson in bear butchering is in order.