The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Road trip for sure northern cal. coast Fort Bragg

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2017, 06:38 PM

Road trip for sure northern cal. coast Fort Bragg

I can get away for three days only starting tomorrow and It was looking like I was taking the Old's.... Then It wouldn't start, battery was almost dead and I don't have a reason for that to happen unless that damn Wilson generator puked and quite again.When I get back I'll check it out, charger is on it now. I'll probably take the Miata rather than the Durango because the Durango is like , well like driving a bus and the Miata is topless and like driving a under powered sports car that gets 29 miles to the gallon

See you guys in a few days...... Tedd
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:05 PM

Don't miss the skunk Train tour, it's great. Watch them curves too, have a safe trip.
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Don't miss the skunk Train tour, it's great. Watch them curves too, have a safe trip.
Been there done that. Fort Bragg was my old stomping grounds for a number of years.Thanks for the warning I've dodged a meany logging truck in my working days in that area... Tedd
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Randy C.

I have never been to Fort Bragg proper but we had an interesting search and rescue case off of there in late 1976/early 1977. It was real puke-buster weather and a darn sail boat lost its rudder about 10 miles off shore from Fort Bragg. The USCG patrol boat and utility boat stationed at Noyo River couldn't get out due to the rough weather so we had to come down from Eureka and take the sail boat in tow. We picked it up around midnight and waited for daylight, hoping the smaller boats could get out of Fort Bragg/Noyo River but they were locked in. We ended up taking that sail boat all the way to Bodega Bay - fortunately, it was an easy, down swell right all the way. But after we dropped off the sailboat to the USCG utility boat there, we had to ride all the way back to Eureka in that rough sea. I puked my livin' guts out on that ride and was never so happy to get back into Humboldt Bay again. Fortunately, every USCG cutter I was stationed on after that was much larger and took the seas a lot better than that 143' USCG auxiliary tug (named COMANCHE) did!

Randy C.
Old September 24th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

My wife and I did that trip last year on our 50th anniversary. We flew into San Fran and drove up to Mendocino and spent a couple nights in a B&B. We had been there years ago. Then we drove up to Eureka for a couple nights. Then we went to Napa for a couple nights and finished up back in San Fran for two nights. That is some beautiful country.
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:39 PM

I know this isn't a sports car forum but hare are just a few of my Fort Bragg trip and Little River return. Kinda like Deliverance on the return trip but sure was enjoyable with the top down and about 75 degrees.....Tedd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0062.JPG (143.6 KB, 2 views)
IMG_0064.JPG (195.1 KB, 1 views)
IMG_0065.JPG (169.2 KB, 1 views)
IMG_0066.JPG (118.1 KB, 1 views)
IMG_0068.JPG (160.1 KB, 1 views)