General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

N. Cal / S. Cal Salvage Yards

Old April 4th, 2012, 04:24 PM

N. Cal / S. Cal Salvage Yards

I am looking for some decent Classic Car salvage yards in California. I live in the Bay Area but am willing to make a trip down to LA and in the Central Valley if necessary. I am aware of GM Auto Salvage in San Jose and the larger ones in the Fresno area. Looking on the Internet most of the yards around here are for newer models. I guess that everything around here has been "recycled."

Thoughts folks? Thanks!
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Agreed

I would love to know the whereabouts of salvage yards in Southern California as well.Any help out there?
Old April 4th, 2012, 07:35 PM

Re: nor cal junkyards.

Sept '10 I went to Baker's on Green Island Rd. American Canyon.
The current owner operator is very possessive and protective of his cars.
You have to call in advance & make an appointment. Then you have to call him when you get there, because he won't be waiting for you at the locked gate even if you are prompt. I had to leave my truck & tools outside the gate & ride with him in the yard.
I went for a door latch for a 56 ford, which he had, & he insisted on removing it for me himself. I also asked about a trunk lid for a 68 cutlass hardtop which he also had but wanted $350. bucks for it. It didn't have a key so I couldn't see the underside of it & it had surface rust. I've attached a pic of the lid. I have no idea if he is in business anymore. I know the county has been trying to clean up the area for many years. A Studebaker junkyard I frequented 10 years ago had to vacate the land and many of the cars there were crushed. So I have no idea how this fellow is fairing these days. If you don't give him attitude, show him respect and don't waste his time he will help you, but his prices are not cheap. Don't expect him to give the parts away, he seems to want top dollar.
Got this address & phone number off the internet.
1678 Green Island Rd American Canyon, CA 94503-9661
(707) 642-9903

There is also one in Cloverdale that has been there for years and seems to be mostly shut down called Gerdes. If you drive around to the left side of the yard past a few houses and into a driveway, you can sometimes track down the owner. I've only had someone answer the phone once in all the times I've called, but you can leave a message.

1000 Gerdes Ln
Cloverdale, CA 95425-3518
(707) 894-4431

There is also Deal's on Richmond Parkway and 400 W Gertrude Ave
Richmond, CA 94801-1712
(510) 232-0197
They have a limited number of older cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00055cutlass trunk.jpg (65.3 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by goodkarmech; April 4th, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:10 PM

Big M Automotive Classic Car Dismantler is in Northern California.
The owners are John & M'Lisa Fowlie. We are about 2 hours north of San Francisco.

Our phone number is (530) 473-2225.

The main office and parts warehouse is located north of downtown Williams, California, while the main yard is 1.5 miles south of downtown.

Currently there are 800-1000 cars for parts and others available for restoration. Good Clean Western Metal - the best there is! Because of the amount of cars, please be patient when leaving messages.He is the one man yard owner, receptionist, picker and packer.

John still ships worldwide and local. He takes pride in the quality of the parts that he sells, and is very honest in his descriptions of what he sells.

Big M Auto is located in Williams California, about 60 miles north of Sacramento and 100 miles south of Redding. You can see our yard from I-5. Yes, we are that Old Car Place off of I-5.

Here are the directions to find the office: From I-5 take the Williams exit. Turn west on to E Street for 0.4 miles. Turn right at the 3rd stop sign which will be 7th.St. Big M Automotive will be on your right about 0.5 miles up the street.

To reach the yard from the office, go south on 7th Street for 1.5 miles. We will be on your left.

To find the yard from Sacramento, Take I-5 north to the Husted exit. Turn right on to Husted.

Here are some photos from our website.
Attached Images
Completes035.jpg (9.1 KB, 69 views)
logosmall.jpg (131.4 KB, 70 views)
parts cars 006.jpg (26.9 KB, 62 views)
parts cars 009.jpg (48.9 KB, 61 views)
parts cars 018.jpg (47.8 KB, 60 views)
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:33 PM

@goodkarmech - Thanks for the information. I will put that on in the book.

@tndrtgr - Great to know thanks! Is it better to just pick up the phone if I am looking for something? What kind of product turn over do you have? If you accept walk-ins, I would love to just walk around. I rarely leave empty handed or with all the cash I walk in with.

You know, I wonder if we should make a special section in this forum that just deals with known yards? Certainly better than Google. You look there you get a lot of hits, but hardly anything useful.

Anyone else on the board? Nevada is not that far off either.
Old April 5th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Re: nor cal junkyards.

Thought of another one:
Kelseyville Auto Salvage
Highway 29 in Kelseyville about halfway between Calistoga and Lakeport.
(707) 279-2123
Old April 5th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Thanks Al. Nice '68 btw!
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
@goodkarmech - Thanks for the information. I will put that on in the book.

@tndrtgr - Great to know thanks! Is it better to just pick up the phone if I am looking for something? What kind of product turn over do you have? If you accept walk-ins, I would love to just walk around. I rarely leave empty handed or with all the cash I walk in with.

You know, I wonder if we should make a special section in this forum that just deals with known yards? Certainly better than Google. You look there you get a lot of hits, but hardly anything useful.

Anyone else on the board? Nevada is not that far off either.
M'lisa and John are neat people to work with.I've been in there yards several times. One time John just turned me loose in the warehouse looking for a side mirror for my 55 and a hubcap. I must have gone through at least 5000 hubcaps and I don't know how many boxes of rear view mirrors. You can truly get lost in the fifties there.

PS he does like anything with fins in the back, bunches of fifties Mopar stuff there....Tedd
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:26 PM

You are welcome & thanks for the compliment. One of these days I'm going to get better wheels for her.
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Red Bluff Yard

Does anybody know if the yard in Red Bluff is still open or if closed where did they move the cars that were left... Tedd
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:18 PM

I agree with Deals in Richmond. I actually live down the street from them and they have neat stuff from time to time.
As you said you know about expensive GM sports salvage. I use them as a absolute last resort. They are ridiculously priced.
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by projectheaven
As you said you know about expensive GM sports salvage. I use them as a absolute last resort. They are ridiculously priced.
True. The only thing that is good is they are close to me.
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:47 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Yard in Red Bluff?? Do tell, my Dad lives there and I have never seen or heard of it.
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Does anybody know if the yard in Red Bluff is still open or if closed where did they move the cars that were left... Tedd
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Looking for a Driver side Fender 74,75, cutlass , 442

Call Steve 707-514-9001 Thanks!
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by tndrtgr
Big M Automotive Classic Car Dismantler is in Northern California.
The owners are John & M'Lisa Fowlie. We are about 2 hours north of San Francisco.

Our phone number is (530) 473-2225.

The main office and parts warehouse is located north of downtown Williams, California, while the main yard is 1.5 miles south of downtown.

Currently there are 800-1000 cars for parts and others available for restoration. Good Clean Western Metal - the best there is! Because of the amount of cars, please be patient when leaving messages.He is the one man yard owner, receptionist, picker and packer.

John still ships worldwide and local. He takes pride in the quality of the parts that he sells, and is very honest in his descriptions of what he sells.

Big M Auto is located in Williams California, about 60 miles north of Sacramento and 100 miles south of Redding. You can see our yard from I-5. Yes, we are that Old Car Place off of I-5.

Here are the directions to find the office: From I-5 take the Williams exit. Turn west on to E Street for 0.4 miles. Turn right at the 3rd stop sign which will be 7th.St. Big M Automotive will be on your right about 0.5 miles up the street.

To reach the yard from the office, go south on 7th Street for 1.5 miles. We will be on your left.

To find the yard from Sacramento, Take I-5 north to the Husted exit. Turn right on to Husted.

Here are some photos from our website.
Great yard and good honest people.......Tedd
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 66 Olznut
Yard in Red Bluff?? Do tell, my Dad lives there and I have never seen or heard of it.
I was told that some of the cars were moved to Corning Ca.I only know of one yard there and it didn't have much in the way of old cars in the past, there could be another small yard hidden somewhere that I don't know about.

This is a old thread so some of the posts here are updates or repeats,So if it seams we are talking in circles we are....Tedd