The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

World power swings back to America

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM

World power swings back to America

Here's some good news, for once, and it's not even written here!

"The American phoenix is slowly rising again. Within five years or so, the US will be well on its way to self-sufficiency in fuel and energy. Manufacturing will have closed the labour gap with China in a clutch of key industries. The current account might even be in surplus."

"The list of "repatriates" is growing. Farouk Systems is bringing back assembly of hair dryers to Texas after counterfeiting problems; ET Water Systems has switched its irrigation products to California; Master Lock is returning to Milwaukee, and NCR is bringing back its ATM output to Georgia. NatLabs is coming home to Florida."

"The 21st Century may be American after all, just like the last."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...o-America.html

Last edited by jaunty75; October 23rd, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:43 PM

It's amazing what you can find in that news paper vs. the ones here in the U.S.

I hope it comes true!!!

John
Old October 23rd, 2011, 04:27 PM

I am seeing a lot of that too. I work for a good sized midwest bank. A lot of my customers that were sending stuff off shore are bringing back stateside. Issues with quality and the amount of time it takes to get here.

I can't remember where I this but I think GM wanted to sell the Volt in China. China would not do it unless they had access to the designs of the Volt. GM said no thank you.

Good to see!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Interesting article. Good to hear, but I'll wait to see what happens.

China is still a worry, especially since they have taken the blueprints for so much of our technology, starting with that defense satellite back in the '90's.

- Eric
Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:06 PM

Let us all hope this is just the beginning and this trend will continue and grow...
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:01 AM

I think the part about the energy independence has a better chance of coming true, at least in the short term. I see that going on around me right now here in Ohio. Interest in drilling for the shale resources is coming in from all over. Pennsylvania has been going full bore, apparently, and many new jobs have been created from what I've read.

I had read earlier in several places that the out-sourcing or off-shoring phenomenon was likely to slow down and potentially reverse as the cost of doing business in China, India, and so forth increased because of inflation in those countries and because of the desire of the workers there to increase their wages. It's good to see that some manufacturing is apparently returning home. But it might be a longer time before there's a major impact. But who knows. I hope I'm wrong and it comes back more quickly.
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:44 AM

As long as hydrocarbons are the fuel of choice this country cannot become energy independant. You cannot drill your way to energy independence.

Keep drinking that Kool Aid.

Last edited by Nilsson; October 24th, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
As long as hydrocarbons are the fuel of choice can this country become energy independant. You cannot drill your way to energy independence.
I don't understand. Your two sentences say opposite things. The first one says you CAN drill your way to independence. The second one says you can't.
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:53 AM

We don't have to drill our way to energy independence, anyway. If we could go so far as to just cut our dependence on foreign sources of energy by half, we would go a very long way toward helping ourselves. We'd have far more jobs in this country, and our balance of payments problems would be significantly reduced. Our foreign policy could be much less affected by the need to maintain friendly relations with countries that require holding our nose to do so.

We might not get to 100% energy independence by drilling, but if we could get from the about 50% it is now to 80 or 95 or 90%, I'm all for it.
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:12 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

The worlds leading powers in history have always been the one with the biggest industrial infrastructure, Spain, France, Britain have historically been world leaders, Germany and Japan have found industrial strength beats military might since 1945.

If the USA starts making its own products again it can regain the world prominence that is slipping from its grasp.
But I think it needs to take in the lessons of recent times and learn to be one nation not divided by the haves and have nots.
I have always been impressed by the American work ethic, but saddened to see hard working people let down by the Wall Street "Greed is Good" philosophy.

A system that rewards working towards building a sustainable industrial infrastructure rather than short term dividends and a quick buck surely is the way to go.

Just the opinion of an outsider looking in, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your country. If I knew all the answers I would have David Camerons job and be supervising Britains industrial renaissance.

Roger.
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I don't understand. Your two sentences say opposite things. The first one says you CAN drill your way to independence. The second one says you can't.
I changed the wording in my post.
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

better be careful what kool aid you drink, because there are plenty of members of our omniscient goverment which would love nothing more than to eliminate the consumers of hydrocarbons...not the least of which would be your cougar and your 442
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Olds Dad
better be careful what kool aid you drink, because there are plenty of members of our omniscient goverment which would love nothing more than to eliminate the consumers of hydrocarbons...not the least of which would be your cougar and your 442

BOO!

Seriously, not to worry it won't happen in mine or your lifetime or what is left of it.

Last edited by Nilsson; October 24th, 2011 at 11:48 AM.