The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Windows Ten

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2015, 12:57 PM

I still have XP and office 2003 at home and have no plans to change either. Everything MS put out after this has been crap in my experience - inefficient and unstable. I have struggled with 7 and office 2007 at work for 3 years and still hate them.
Old August 1st, 2015, 02:28 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I still have XP and office 2003 at home and have no plans to change either. Everything MS put out after this has been crap in my experience - inefficient and unstable. I have struggled with 7 and office 2007 at work for 3 years and still hate them.
I loved XP ! The part I can't understand is how do you get updates and support ? I tried to re-load XP on my aunt's PC and I couldn't get any updates .
Old August 1st, 2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
I loved XP ! The part I can't understand is how do you get updates and support ? I tried to re-load XP on my aunt's PC and I couldn't get any updates .
MS never gave me any kind of support back then so I figured why would they do anything differently if I changed to 7?
You can download all the old patches for XP now, but they just do not add anything else. Not sure where you access it though. I am sure they will ditch it all some day. Personally, I do not care. I do not use my machine at home much, and do not do any kind of sensitive activities online (banking, bill pay, credit card or utility stuff). I use about 10 sites (which I trust) and rarely do I just surf for no reason.
I use outlook for email and never open strange emails or links.
All my personal files are kept on big USB drives which are uninstalled unless I need them.
I use firefox with adblock, zonealarm, and an old antivirus from 2013.
Yes it is old. I even have the windows 'classic' theme applied in XP!
I am not going to be spending hours of time each week updating 5 softwares and then troubleshoot them when they do not install right or kill something that worked. I am not going to relearn how to use the web browser each time they 'update' it.
So in a nutshell I will take my chances.
If I get a virus and have to wipe the hard drive, that is fine. I will just reload XP! Everything else is backed up OFFline, where it is safe.
Computer runs great despite it is from 2007.