The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Who says toyotas have no power?!?!

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2015, 05:41 PM

Got busted for going 16 over on I-70 today, driving a dealer loaner Corolla with the almighty 2ZR 1.8L four banger of fury engine! Be careful out there this weekend, the cops seem to be out in force.

(and, damn, I am dumb...didn't have my radar detector or anything....ticket deferral for me, pay extra to make the points not happen, hope I'm eligible.)
Old September 4th, 2015, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Be careful out there this weekend, the cops seem to be out in force.
It's a holiday weekend.
Old September 4th, 2015, 07:46 PM

I'm afraid to race my Cutlass against my wife driving our 2011 Toyota Sienna. That 6 banger with auto trans gets going pretty nicely...would hate to lose to that.

I've got the 2.4 litre in my 2011 Corolla and that car has plenty of spunk. 75 mph all day long, with more legs to be stretched.

Sorry about your ticket...maybe I shoulda warned you about them?

(I won't talk about my speeding ticket in a clapped out '58 VW Bug...had to happen in a school zone)
Old September 5th, 2015, 06:42 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

My 1.0 liter Nissan will wind itself up to an indicated 103mph, more likely about 95 in reality, but it takes a while to get there....
There aren't many cars out there that couldn't get you a ticket if you wanted one. Maybe on I10 in west Texas, I can't think of any modern cars though.

Many years ago when I was much fitter I got told off by a cop for exceeding the 30mph limit on my bicycle. It seems in the UK there is an offense of "Furious Riding" pre dating automobiles by some years.
My father claims he was told off for speeding on a farm tractor. It seems in 1948 they were limited to 8mph, and the one he was driving wouldn't have gone that fast if it wasn't in neutral and going downhill.

Roger.
Old September 5th, 2015, 07:14 AM

Everyone.
Old September 5th, 2015, 08:37 AM

VI, the 2GR is a good block, we use it in a lot of stuff. Incidentally, we ran a 4 banger option in the Sienna for 2 years, it was a dog.

Roger, that "furious riding" description made my day. Thanks. We have something called the Georgia Overdrive which is taking your 18 wheeler out of gear and coasting down hills to go faster.

Jaunty, the problem I have with the company is they make what people need, not what people want. The cars are adequate, but not awesome, and they run forever. The Scion FR-S was a step back to the fun days, and I am hoping they can make something fast, fun, and affordable again, but I hear the new Supra will cost more than a Corvette, and I would definitely buy the Corvette in that case.
Old September 5th, 2015, 10:17 AM

Jaunty, the problem I have with the company is they make what people need, not what people want. The cars are adequate, but not awesome, and they run forever.
Ain't that the truth...

I test drove a plain jane 2011 Corolla and it just wasn't doing it for me. It was definitely adequate, but there was no element of fun in it. Stepping up to the Corolla XRS with larger engine and stiffer suspension package was like driving a totally different car...a rather fun car.

In 2014 I started getting mail from the local dealer "We need your 2011 Corolla, come see us for great savings on the exciting 2014 Corollas". I checked out their 2014 lineup and didn't see anything that compared to what I already had.

They were giving people what they needed...not what they wanted alright. I still have my 2011 and anticipate I will for many years to come.
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:19 PM

I'll have to stick up for my Toyota Tacoma. It's been a great workhorse and every guy needs a truck right?
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:04 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

My wife and I both have adequate but not awesome DD's, ideal for our adequate (except at rush hour and holidays) but not awesome road infrastructure.
But not nearly as much fun as our unsuited for UK roads Oldsmobile and Buick.

Roger.
Old September 8th, 2015, 01:15 AM
NOVICE car nut

I'm not going to be THAT blind to not notice that these newer cars have some power today . However I do remember in 98 renting a Hyundai Accent in Vegas that was a powerless piece of junk and had to be floored at all times in order to drive it like I'd normally drive my 92 Cavalier 5 speed ! This thing was ridiculously slow ! It took forever to hit 55MPH with it floored the entire time we drove it while we were site seeing . The car was brand new !
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:11 AM

Driving my '85 Parisienne about montreal was an exercise in relaxation and comfort. The bowtie 305 and the rear end gearing meant you weren't gonna get away from the light anyway quick. I never minded, I'm in no hurry to be anywhere. Speed limits in Quebec top out at 60mph. The first time I drove to Woodward and encountered the 75mph speedlimits of Michigan I thought I'd be struggling ... Wrong. I thought I might have found another gear in that TH-200 ... as I came up to 70 she just kept pulling. Past 80 and I'm wondering WTF? 85 ... still getting passed by other cars, but I'm still feeling .. thrust? Can't be. At that point I'm now rolling faster than I've ever taken a car, on an unfamiliar road, at night .. and I'm driving a classic with out of state plates. I eased off, keeping up with the slow lane traffic and wondering if the Michigan air is somehow more combustible than the fresh air we have in Canada.

Seems like GM snuck something in there as a surprise
Old September 9th, 2015, 08:40 AM

My wife had a scion with the 2.4L 2AZ motor. It was really peppy and made good power, but exhibited the typical oil ring blockage that starts burning a quart of oil per 600 miles, starting at 70k miles (literally 3 months out of warranty). Was owned from new and had Mobil 1 its entire life. Toyota claims that's "within spec" and dealers wouldn't even talk to us about it... my spec doesn't correlate with that, so it got dumped. After that experience, Toyota can kiss my azz.
Old September 9th, 2015, 08:56 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
My wife had a scion with the 2.4L 2AZ motor. It was really peppy and made good power, but exhibited the typical oil ring blockage that starts burning a quart of oil per 600 miles, starting at 70k miles (literally 3 months out of warranty). Was owned from new and had Mobil 1 its entire life. Toyota claims that's "within spec" and dealers wouldn't even talk to us about it... my spec doesn't correlate with that, so it got dumped. After that experience, Toyota can kiss my azz.
My wife has a 01 2.4 DOHC Z24 Cavalier . It goes through oil pretty often but I never see blue smoke anytime . It also doesn't leave any puddles on the ground either . I have no idea where the oil is going . The best thing I can figure is it goes in the exhaust , but the car passes the emissions so it didn't foul out the Catalytic Converter ... yet . You would still think it have blue smoke though being in the exhaust .
Old September 9th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Administrator

It goes to the same place as lost socks in the drier. Seriously if its not leaking its burning.