The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Where were you when Elvis died?

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM

It doesn't seem like 32 years already but I remember the day well. It was a hot day and I was a 13 year old kid working in the garage probably on a 50 Olds. I went into the house to get a glass of water(not a water bottle) and the news had just hit the TV. I was stunned because my parents were of the 50's generation and we always watched the the cheezy Elvis movies and the live televised concerts he had. I went back out to the garage and told my Dad the news as he was under the car. And I remember a little pause and he said "no sh&%"
Dave
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Registered Luser

I remember like it was yesterday! I was 7 yrs old at the time, and my mom every night MADE US watch the CBS Evening News w/ Walter Cronkite! As in those days we only had one TV(imagine our spoiled kids now) we sat and watched and when it was announced, I was just blown away!
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Oldsdruid

What do you mean "when Elvis died"? Elvis ain't dead, he's living in a retirement community in Canada where all the painkillers are free...

Yah I know- bad joke.

Seriously- 1977 I was 20 and still farming tobacco and melons, so odds are I was out in a hot-*** tobacco field all day. I also remember hearing it on the CBS evening news and thinking no way.

"Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain. And celluloid heroes never really die..."
The Kinks, "Celluloid Heroes", 1972
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:40 AM
zed

I was 16 and at the house my buddy Tony. I think it came over the radio.We were going on about the 66 Fairlane that he was going to inherit.It was his deceased father's car.The human memory is a powerful thing.
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Honestly.. I was 6 and I don't remember what I was doing when he died.. Sad I know .. but that is the honest truth
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Elvis died before I was born.
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by MN71W30
I got an airtight alibi.
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:17 AM
olds..older..oldest

I was entering medical school,and remember thinking..."I sure hope I age better than that!" Now with the latest musical"icon" dying in a haze of drugs as well,it's a sobering reminder of the cost some people pay for fame....Derek
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM

I was 11 and probably playing with friends outside... or was I watching the Jackson 5 show

I do remember my mother crying for days and playing all her Elvis albums non-stop.
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Registered Abuser

I was an egg in one of my mothers ovaries.
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM

I was getting into my car after work. I turned on the radio and immediately heard the king is dead.Being a huge Elvis fan I was floored.
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Registered

I was 22 years old, working a fire job at a Mr. Fuller's house.
It was a nasty job and a real hot day, especially in a burned up attic scraping charcoal off wood and and sealing it with aluminum paint using a cheap spray gun that clogged every two minutes.

I was bummed when I heard the news, took my '67 Grand Prix convertible around the block a few times on a smoke break to cool down and listen to the reports and Elvis tunes.

After work I went home to my groovy batchelor pad, cracked open a cold one, put on my Elvis vinyl and brooded.

The Michael Jackson stuff was nothing compared to when The King died.
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM

We were on our way back to Ohio (living there, then) from a trip to Dallas to bury my Dad. We were somewhere on the road in Tennessee, and my wife (then) turned to me (after the announcement that my idol, Elvis, had died) and calmly said, "I want a divorce". Really a bummer day, all in all. Actually, that was a pretty bummer year. The year before had purchased a 4800 sq. ft. house w/5 acres north of Columbus (Delaware, OH) on Hwy. 23. You ever lived w/a/small/dog in 4800 square feet, on 5 acres? All worked out OK in the long run. Got Juju now. Amen on the Michael Jackson stuff that keeps ON AND ON.
Old August 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
We were somewhere on the road in Tennessee, and my wife (then) turned to me (after the announcement that my idol, Elvis, had died) and calmly said, "I want a divorce".
I really can't remember Where I was when the King went home to Glory.

But Aron's post reminded me of my 18 wedding anversary. I thought we were going out to dinner. But insted I got served with divorce papers.

At the time I didn't think it was so funny.

Today, " I thank God and Greyhound" she's GONE.

Sorry to hijack the thread. ILMAO at the timing of things.
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Captain of my ship

Working on the car

I had just finished up some work on my 66 Impala SS when I heard it over the radio.Needless to say they played a lot of Elvis' finest tunes so I just kept driving around listening to Elvis songs.1977 I was 19.
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Getting There

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I really can't remember Where I was when the King went home to Glory.

But Aron's post reminded me of my 18 wedding anversary. I thought we were going out to dinner. But insted I got served with divorce papers.

At the time I didn't think it was so funny.

Today, " I thank God and Greyhound" she's GONE.

Sorry to hijack the thread. ILMAO at the timing of things.

Damn!!!!! Sounds like my Ex lol

I was only 6 when Elvis died.. all I remember is mom playing Elvis ALL day long......
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Location: Beaver Dams,NY (just south of Watkins Glen-you know,the race track)
Cool Just one of those things that stick with you...

I just turned 16 a day short of a month before;even though I had my permit before noon on my b-day I was still two wheelin' it on the day he died.I was about a mile and a half up the road at my best friends,listening to top 40 radio when the news came on.We called it a day early and I hopped on my bike and hot pedaled it home.When I rolled into the drive,Mom was standing on the front stoop,kinda dazed lookin'.She was a huge fan (child of the fifties),and had a huge collection of Elvis memorabilia,which I still have today.Yeah,32 years,but you notice how vivid and specific all our recollections are?
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM

i was probably ready for a diaper change when elvis died.

i was like 6 months old.
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I was on vacation with my wife, my two kids (ages 4 and 9), my mother and my mother in law (if anything gets me into heaven, that trip should). We were having lunch in a pizza place in Gatlinburg, Tenessee and it came over the piped in music.

If there are any of you who think he is still alive, no way. He would have come out of hiding when Lisa Marie married Michael Jackson.

I am am still a big Elvis fan and saw him in concert in 1975. If there was only one entertainer of group I could see, it would have been Elvis. I don't think he ever owned two of my favorite cars which are Oldsmobiles and Corvettes. He did love those Cadillacs though.
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM

i was 2 or 3 so i don't remember. but when princess Diana died, i was on the side of the road in my 72 442 W-30 and a cop behind me giving me a ticket for 4 miles an hour over the limit. he came to the car, handed me the ticket and ask if i just heard that she died. they just announced it while he was writing the ticket.
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Oldsdruid

I was working an overnight shift when Princess Diana died. At the time we didn't have internet or even a radio at work, and the dispatcher in Raleigh told us.

I was at All-GM Carlisle when Jackson died. Hot, tired, hungry, and that was all that was on TV.

Seems it's always hard to believe when famous people die.
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I was working an overnight shift when Princess Diana died. At the time we didn't have internet or even a radio at work, and the dispatcher in Raleigh told us.

I was at All-GM Carlisle when Jackson died. Hot, tired, hungry, and that was all that was on TV.

Seems it's always hard to believe when famous people die.
is was like 1 or 2:00 in the morning. we just left a drive in theater. they had an old car night there and the cops were waiting on us to leave. they got 5 of us.
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Alb

Elvis

Must have been a good year for divorce. Was out celebrating my divorce, just got a little drunker.
Alb
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Past Administrator

I was on my way home from work and when I heard the radio announcement I called my wife from a pay phone and repeated what the announcer had said "The King is dead.". I wasn't a fan, but my wife liked his music. I just wanted to see if she knew what I meant, she did. Wasn't surprised to hear the news, as someone has already said, famous people let drugs ruin their lives. Heck even people that aren't famous do that, they just don't get in the news.