The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

what are your other hobbies guys?

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2014 | 07:55 PM

I hibernate in the winter, but take time out occasionally to update my Website, http://www.marooncruisers.com. Other than that, I'm a fair weather outdoorsman and do some RVing. I'd call it camping, but we have a 24' travel trailer with a fridge and microwave, so I'd be lying.

Between my '71 Cadillac, Dad's '54 Olds, and four show vehicles for work, I have plenty to keep me busy during the summer.
Old February 12th, 2014 | 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
Making beer...when I have the time.
Same here. I brew outside, though, and this winter has been hell, so my kegs are mostly dry right now.

Also into all manner of outdoor sports. Hunting, fishing, skiing, camping, canoeing etc. Sometimes I wonder if I should be into 4x4s instead of old cars given it would help with the other hobbies...
Old February 12th, 2014 | 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by JOE CAPP
Hello all , my hobbies are Riding and rebuilding my Harley 130,000 miles and counting, I rebuild Nickelodeon pianos , on my 3rd looking for the next one, I build scale model cannons, the last one was a 1/2 scale 6 pounder, just sold ! My next goal is to fly my weight shift trike, Any teachers out there in the NY area ? " I am an above knee amputee so flight training might be a little tricky !
Is the weight shift trike the same thing as a para-plane?
railguy
Old February 12th, 2014 | 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by txrob779
BTW I am still a metal head....XM Liquid Metal RULES

Great job plonka...most people don't "get" the style but I do....and hell yeah it was hard to transcribe. Personally I prefer metalcore...my thing is, "if it groves I'm in" from Bach to Lamb Of God and back. My tastes are all over the map. All over everywhere. It drives my family nuts LOL.
Thanks Rob. I can promise you it would take me a month to re-learn that tune. BTW, I love me some Lamb of God.
Old February 12th, 2014 | 04:52 PM

sweet.....

Originally Posted by Sampson
I go saltwater fishing every chance I get! But my biggest hobby is woodworking. I like to build stuff.
Here is a model of a Menhaden Fish boat I built.

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Facebook/Fish%20Hawk/523761_2614110811841_1848804825_n.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]
Samson incredible detail I have built many many boats and ships, I use to race 1/8th scale hydro at the national level,
Have a look here www.hansenracing.net
I was sponsored by flight power, enter land, and a few other companies I also like old tools, painting, carving woodworking, pin stripping, airplanes, history, very very cool

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; February 12th, 2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old February 12th, 2014 | 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Samson incredible detail I have built many many boats and ships, I use to race 1/8th scale hydro at the national level,
Have a look here www.hanse racing.net
I was sponsored by flight power, enter land, and a few other companies I also like old tools, painting, carving woodworking, pin stripping, airplanes, history, very very cool
Wow Eddie! I just checked out www.hansenracing.net. I wish you lived down the street. Between Olds, Boats, and woodworking we could have a lot of fun.
Old February 12th, 2014 | 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson
Wow Eddie! I just checked out www.hansenracing.net. I wish you lived down the street. Between Olds, Boats, and woodworking we could have a lot of fun.
Steve man don't get me started have a look at vintagehydroplanes.com you can combine motors, woodworking, restoration etc etc I do have a ton of plans if your ever looking let me know everything from tugs to all out racers I had the national record for an 1/8th scale electric powered hydroplane for about 3 hours lol think it was 78.5 mph ran in valdosta Georgia straight away, record motor pulled about 150-165 amps put out over 7500 watts of power then we can chat about German chip carving ( dreischnit sp?)

Man too many mobbies lol thank you for the nice comments
Old February 12th, 2014 | 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
What a great thread! I really like learning more about my CO friends!
This isn't really a hobby, it's my profession. I'm a sculptor and an art teacher. Before I found my Cutlass I was working on a series of sculptures based on classic literature. This is The War of the World: Big Boys and Their Tinker Toys. The copper bullet points represent documented nuclear missile sites across the globe. It's Cherry and copper and measures about 40x38x38"

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see the others if you're interested:
www.studio407.net/recent_work.htm
Hey Mac! I recognized the sculpture but didn't know you were on this forum. So there are two art professors from Illinois on CO.

Wor is at http://charlesearlboone.com/

Chuck Boone
Old February 13th, 2014 | 12:48 AM

I'm trying to start a business from an accidental hobby

By accidental, I mean that I started with motorized 2-wheelers and ended up doing these, after a shop asked me if I could refurbish some of his bikes. Since this didn't require special tools for each brand and there were no gasoline fumes to aggravate my apartment neighbors, I began doing these.
I put this one together for one of my eternal Beavis nephews. If he proved that he would start taking care of his stuff and start locking up his bikes, I would have added a stainless steel chainguard, instead of that cheap aluminum one, among other parts:

Iron_Horse_R_zps09378cee.jpg

Iron_Horse_L_zps610a767c.jpg

Iron_Horse_RR_zpsca828687.jpg

Iron_Horse_HR_zps21693cb1.jpg

Iron_Horse_VL_zpsfb36e55e.jpg Iron_Horse_HL_zps68c7637c.jpg

Iron_Horse_VR_zps6cf17ea2.jpg

I also do bikes for the young (sometimes, the older ones want these) ladies. I don't do unisex bikes. Either they're strictly male or female. Here are some before and after pics:

AKTIV_R_Schatt_zps77aae0c4.jpg

AKTIV_VR_Schatt_zps0b43f630.jpg

AKTIV_HR_Schatt_zpse69d6d0a.jpg

Aktiv_Proj_L_zpsebc05acc.jpg

AKTIV_L_Schatt_zps428d48d3.jpg

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; February 13th, 2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old February 13th, 2014 | 03:19 AM
The Noob Messiah

Metalcore from the Holler \m/

[/B]
Originally Posted by plonka
Thanks Rob. I can promise you it would take me a month to re-learn that tune. BTW, I love me some Lamb of God.
Old February 15th, 2014 | 10:22 AM

I found this rock a few months ago while hunt for Indian artifacts.The shells are about the size of a dime.
railguy

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3882.jpg

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg
Old February 16th, 2014 | 01:37 PM

Besides hot rods and classic cars, I buy, trade, sell and restore vintage Wurlitzer jukeboxes. I focus on the best models from the 1940's. Here are a couple of pictures of a pair of 1941 Wurlitzer 850's. There is another one not pictured so I was restoring all 3 at the same time. This was my hobby, turned to a full time business in 1982 and returned to a hobby in 2012.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
6-09-07 007.jpg (55.3 KB, 18 views)
07-06-07 001.jpg (70.3 KB, 17 views)
6-20-07 008.jpg (35.7 KB, 16 views)
Old February 17th, 2014 | 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Faster Horses
Younger Women
Older Whiskey
and
More Money

With out the last one the first three are not going to happen
Old February 28th, 2014 | 08:22 PM
jfb

hey guys I posted before and it is time to get back to our rides soon! I finished as much as possible on my railroad about 1 to 2 hundred hours of model building and certain parts nationally are on back order. I use my almost completed olds for my summer activities,hunting ,camping ,fishing,racing,carshows, and of course good times and weightlifting which is a given to me after 20 plus years of doing. I want to see more of us around at the track or carshows we all have very classy rides that can be kept up and not on a trailer either. I will check back but lets consider a track day in late September for all activities,racing,carshow,bikini contest,drifting if wanted we will decide that one among us. I would love too see this happen around Chicago il at probably 41 dragway or no limit and set up a pay pal in the tracks name for all of our sakes and to also keep costs low and we need about 150 to 300 plus for that reason of costs ,lets roll and go and make it happen and do it the real way with class and *****. we have to decide before memorial day guys to set up a date and have a chance to make it real!
Old February 28th, 2014 | 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eubiedad
Hey Mac! I recognized the sculpture but didn't know you were on this forum. So there are two art professors from Illinois on CO.

Wor is at http://charlesearlboone.com/

Chuck Boone
Chuck! What's happening dude. I didn't know you were a member either. Very cool. How are things at COD? Probably the same as us; too damn many snow days. The students can't find their pace.
I'll be seeing you soon buddy. Hey, maybe after the meeting you can follow me home and check out the Olds.
Old February 28th, 2014 | 11:27 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

COD !? Would that be college of dupage . Right in my area where I grew up.
Old February 28th, 2014 | 11:31 PM

JFB that's a tough thing to do. Look at the bop race at byron every year since 2007 has shrunk big time. I went to the olds powered nationals and that was small relatively speaking. Its hard to get a group that big together.
Old March 1st, 2014 | 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
COD !? Would that be college of dupage . Right in my area where I grew up.
You got it Copper. I imagine you and Chuck aren't too far from each other. Maybe COD will host our conference next year and we can all drive our Oldsmobiles and hook up.
Old March 1st, 2014 | 05:05 AM

That would be cool mac.
Old March 1st, 2014 | 05:49 PM
jfb

preserving our future like men.

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
JFB that's a tough thing to do. Look at the bop race at byron every year since 2007 has shrunk big time. I went to the olds powered nationals and that was small relatively speaking. Its hard to get a group that big together.
I know it would be tough but it really has to be copper bopc meet ups are dwindling. I do not see any as of yet or dated around Chicago. I would like to say that from experience that if we do not get some positive attention parts suppliers etc will no longer be around and prices will only go up, it really is up to all of us to enjoy our rides and preserve our future needs starting now! The suppliers depend on free advertising like this plus it shows real attention to the brand for the future.
Old March 3rd, 2014 | 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by willys33
...I buy, trade, sell and restore vintage Wurlitzer jukeboxes...
Are the cathode ray tubes for those things still all available?
Old March 3rd, 2014 | 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by jfb
hey guys I posted before and it is time to get back to our rides soon! I finished as much as possible on my railroad about 1 to 2 hundred hours of model building and certain parts nationally are on back order. I use my almost completed olds for my summer activities,hunting ,camping ,fishing,racing,carshows, and of course good times and weightlifting which is a given to me after 20 plus years of doing. I want to see more of us around at the track or carshows we all have very classy rides that can be kept up and not on a trailer either. I will check back but lets consider a track day in late September for all activities,racing,carshow,bikini contest,drifting if wanted we will decide that one among us. I would love too see this happen around Chicago il at probably 41 dragway or no limit and set up a pay pal in the tracks name for all of our sakes and to also keep costs low and we need about 150 to 300 plus for that reason of costs ,lets roll and go and make it happen and do it the real way with class and *****. we have to decide before memorial day guys to set up a date and have a chance to make it real!
Old March 3rd, 2014 | 08:00 AM

How about a few pics of that layout? Are you modeling a historic road or are you creating your own? About 10 years ago, I visited a guy in Cali Columbia who had almost completely modeled to scale a complete subdivision of the Pennsy at about 1946. It was the most massive layout I have ever seen - it was in a 150x150 foot building he had expressly built for the purpose. Roundhouses full of brass K4's, J1's,L1's.
Old March 3rd, 2014 | 10:30 AM

Mine is publishing an ad free car collector related ezine; Car Collector Chronicles. Have been doing so for more than a few years now.

What, you haven't seen/read it! Why not? Here is the link -
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros
Old March 4th, 2014 | 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
Are the cathode ray tubes for those things still all available?
Yeah, tubes are still available. Not cheap, but at least there are out there. I had a bunch of brand new 6L6's that were made in Russia? They work great.
Old March 4th, 2014 | 07:49 AM
NOVICE car nut

Yeah, tubes are still available. Not cheap, but at least there are out there. I had a bunch of brand new 6L6's that were made in Russia? They work great.

I love old tube based electronics . It always seemed that tubes were better then solid state . If I remember correctly , the top of the line guitar amplifiers they make today still use tubes .
Old March 4th, 2014 | 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
I love old tube based electronics . It always seemed that tubes were better then solid state . If I remember correctly , the top of the line guitar amplifiers they make today still use tubes .

There are some that believe tubes add a certain "warmth" to music that electronics cannot match. I tend to agree. But I also prefer hearing old music the way I remember it with the needle touching down on vinyl and a bit of a hiss. CD's can't duplicate that.
Old March 4th, 2014 | 09:45 AM
Administrator

Willys33, awesome looking Jukeboxes. I too used restore those and the old relay Pinballs. I agree there's nothing that compares to a tube amp and vinyl.
Old March 4th, 2014 | 09:52 AM

me too

Drag Racing
Golf
Fishing
Travel in the Pacific NW with my sweetie.

These are the things I am doing when not working.
Old March 4th, 2014 | 10:22 AM
KVP

I collect farm toys (Oliver brand) and am restoring a couple Oliver farm tractors that I grew up with on the family farm. One of them is the tractor I learned to drive and operate solo as a six year old. The toys are replacements for the ones I had as a kid or the the ones I wished I had back then.I also have an interest in vintage solid state stereo equipment.
Old March 4th, 2014 | 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Willys33, awesome looking Jukeboxes. I too used restore those and the old relay Pinballs. I agree there's nothing that compares to a tube amp and vinyl.
Thanks. Did you keep any jukes for yourself? I never messed with pinballs too much. I did fool with old slot machines a little.
Old March 4th, 2014 | 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=D. Yaros;663159]Mine is publishing an ad free car collector related ezine; Car Collector Chronicles. Have been doing so for more than a few years now.

This is a cool hobby! I am sure it takes a lot of time and effort to put it together each month.

I imagine you are retired and therefore you have the time to devote to such an undertaking.
Old March 4th, 2014 | 12:46 PM
Administrator

Thanks. Did you keep any jukes for yourself? I never messed with pinballs too much. I did fool with old slot machines a little.

No, I did it to make extra money back in the mid 70's. I had toyed with doing them (Jukeboxes) now but damn they are expensive. I might pickup some Pinballs though.
Old March 5th, 2014 | 04:19 AM

There are more spares behind the former Iron Curtain stored new in boxes than are available in the West. Conversion tables for using Iron Curtain tubes in Western hi-fi have also been published.
The best new tubes are supposedly made in Japan and the worst, of course, in China
There are some that believe tubes add a certain "warmth" to music that electronics cannot match. I tend to agree. But I also prefer hearing old music the way I remember it with the needle touching down on vinyl and a bit of a hiss. CD's can't duplicate that.
Analog music is more natural and digital sound is not only compromized notes. Transistors aren't able to produce the amount of amperage needed for loud bass, also.
An expert told me that a fully restored tube unit restored with quality parts will cost hundreds and that there is a small market for people who desire these things.
The short lifespan of tubes not only has to do with the inherent vulnerability to wear. A faulty resistor can rapidly shorten the life of a tube

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; March 5th, 2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old March 8th, 2014 | 09:09 PM
Justin

Bought a new bike instead of machine work
My son and I at Gooseberry Mesa hurrican Utah

0EBF75DB-4D32-4D3F-9E8B-45D919520EA3.jpg
Old March 8th, 2014 | 09:20 PM

Im right there with ya oldstata. Im fixing a room in my house instead of machine work for the engine I was building. My neighbor is helping me restore my old plaster walls and fix up some previously patched work that was done sloppy . Between working on my car and my dads car I have been squeezing in some house work. Here are some pics the fiancé snapped im the guy with the hat.

Old March 8th, 2014 | 11:33 PM

I have a few other hobbies, I like to play a lot of video games im my spare time. My friends and I usually default to that because it doesn't cost us any money ^^, but anyhow I also enjoy camping, riding my long board around town and down hills, paint balling in the woods (my local field closed down so i haven't done it for a long time), going to raves and electronic music events, DJing electronic music in my spare time (I just bought a CDJ/Mixer combo from Hercules).
Old March 9th, 2014 | 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by jfb
I am working on a giant model railroad in my basement and it too is almost finished. I have a un heated garage for the olds so super cold times are spent inside doing my Chicago gary Indiana railroad plus it is well detailed. I also go too a local model railroad swap meet and my overall costs for this are minimal. I stated earlier today that anything with thought process can be done cheaply and this also brings out my artistical side for the olds.
My screenname is a combination of my hobbies. My main hobby is model trains and railfanning. I'm also building a model railroad in a spare room in my basement. It is based on the Southern Railway and Norfolk Southern. I go to local train shows too. You can sometimes find me at the real railroad tracks watching CSX freights.

Last edited by railfan442; March 9th, 2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old March 9th, 2014 | 05:44 PM

I taped 15 walnut trees for sap about 2 weeks ago.Nice when I started but by the time I was done it was really cold and it's been that way up until yesterday.I collected about 10 gal. today which isn't much but it should be running pretty good the rest of the week.I tasted it and it seemed sweeter then usual. It's supposed to be 60 wed.
410 Sprints will be starting soon.
railguy
Old March 13th, 2014 | 08:04 AM
Acceleratii maxim rapidus

Great thread!
I'm a mentor in a robotics team for high school kids including my son, who build a robot every year for the F.I.R.S.T. international robotics competition. This years robot is currently on its way to Hawaii for the 2014 preliminary comp. Really satisfying stuff.

Collecting and restoring vintage 60's and 70's Vidicon, Saticon and Trinicon tube video cameras and old video recorders, when I get time. You know the ones, two hands on the camera with seperate recorder unit and battery pack hanging off your shoulders. Does my head in finding parts.

also race my Supermoto bike whenever I can

and have an addiction for Sam Colts' finest, here's a few

Last edited by 73aussie455; March 13th, 2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: screwed with post

Quick Reply: what are your other hobbies guys?