The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

what are your other hobbies guys?

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2014, 08:18 PM
Phantom Phixer

Besides Oldsmobiles, my other hobbies are Pontiacs and Buicks. (Although I have neither at this time.)
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:16 PM

I enjoy playing volleyball, jogging a little and doing 5K's with friends, and spending time at our family cottages in Michigan. I love wakeboarding, self taught with an original surfboard style board in 1995. Still getting better, almost landed a flip last year! Not bad for a 6'6" 30-something year old fart.

I also play video games a little bit during the winter, when I can't be outside.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mich wakeboard.jpg (73.1 KB, 329 views)
Old January 22nd, 2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
I enjoy playing volleyball, jogging a little and doing 5K's with friends, and spending time at our family cottages in Michigan. I love wakeboarding, self taught with an original surfboard style board in 1995. Still getting better, almost landed a flip last year! Not bad for a 6'6" 30-something year old fart.

I also play video games a little bit during the winter, when I can't be outside.

Looks fun. I also picked up running about a year and a half ago. I was up to about three miles every other day but it started really bothering my neck. Always had problems there. I miss it bad. Nothing like a good run. And I'm a fifty-something old fart.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:40 AM

Great post, glad I came across this one.

Cars have always been my biggest passion by far but next in line would be music. I'm a drummer of over 20 years and absolutely love it! I have 2 Pearl drum sets, one of which is my first set that I bought 21 years ago this month and it still looks damn near perfect! I've played in a handful of bands over the years and I'm currently in a new project with some buddies from some of those prior year bands. My band before this one lasted a little shy of 5 years and we really kicked some ***!

Of course, now I have a family and my wife and son have really taken the lead as far as my passions so now it's really family, cars, then drums.
Old January 24th, 2014, 09:53 PM

Like I mentioned before, I play in a Bruce Springsteen tribute band. We just got a gig at The Gas Monkey Grill here in Dallas run by the guys from Fast & Loud. Get to enjoy both my hobbies that night.
Old January 25th, 2014, 03:47 AM

Joe: When & Where (address)? I like to play bass, also, but not near like I used to. Voice has gone, it seems, from a straight shot of whiskey that went down the wrong way late last year. NOT GOOD! Read a lot. When the magic age of 70 rolled around, I slowed down a lot. Juju and I still love to go out to the Balcony Club, listen to Kenny & the Kasuals, and do the North Texas Push, like every Thursday evening!
Aron

Last edited by Aron Nance; January 25th, 2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:56 PM

Does shovelling snow and clearing it off my car count as a hobby?

I enjoy cooking. I try to make different things like homemade pierogies and bbq shredded beef among other things.

I'm also in a weekly bowling league in the winter.
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I too like to cook although time doesn't always allow a delicious meal im usually the cook in the house.

car designer If you are interested in a Mexican stew/soup that includes , beans, beer , cilantro, tomato , onion , jalapenos, bacon , ham , smoked pork chops , Im sure im forgetting a few ingredients but its all in my note book . That's one dish I hate taken to many get togethers with friends and neighbors that has never failed to impress let me know.
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:07 PM

puzzles is my hobbie

I build puzzles in my spare time mostly 1000 piece some 2000 and even a 3000 piece. I have done over 20,000 pieces in total and still counting, here are some of the ones i have and one 1500 piece I am working on right now.
Attached Images
165_4308.jpg (76.2 KB, 29 views)
165_4310.jpg (81.7 KB, 21 views)
Old January 26th, 2014, 03:20 AM

Hey Midrange,those bikes take me back! I used to have a Red Line with skyway mag wheels,lade back seat post,pots modification so the brake cables won't bind as you turn the handlebars. All the kids in my neighborhood had nice bikes mongoose,red line,hutch,gt,haro.I've been looking at bikes at swap meets but people are asking crazy money for them.
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

Originally Posted by Stevec
Hey Midrange,those bikes take me back! I used to have a Red Line with skyway mag wheels,lade back seat post,pots modification so the brake cables won't bind as you turn the handlebars. All the kids in my neighborhood had nice bikes mongoose,red line,hutch,gt,haro.I've been looking at bikes at swap meets but people are asking crazy money for them.
Yeah, I hear you on the prices. Just a few years ago, $500 to $600 was on the high end. Today, that will only get you a survivor that needs work.

Check out flea markets, Goodwill, and Salvation Army stores, there have been many gems found in those places.
Craigslist is good too, but you have to be quick on the draw, they sell pretty fast on there.
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I too like to cook although time doesn't always allow a delicious meal im usually the cook in the house.

car designer If you are interested in a Mexican stew/soup that includes , beans, beer , cilantro, tomato , onion , jalapenos, bacon , ham , smoked pork chops , Im sure im forgetting a few ingredients but its all in my note book . That's one dish I hate taken to many get togethers with friends and neighbors that has never failed to impress let me know.
I'm always open to new recipes. That one sounds good. Want to send it via PM or post it right here?
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:46 PM

I love to cycle, both MTB and Road, I own a professional MTB team as well as a National MTB race series and sponsor lots of cycling teams and events…………….i guess you could say its turned into a hobby obsession………kind of like the cars.

http://www.team-shoair.com/

http://shoairblog.com/

https://www.facebook.com/teamshoair

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sho-Air-Cycling-Group/188843696844

My main jobs are:

https://www.shoair.com/

http://www.mascarauto.com/
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I'll just post it car designer lol. this is a great snack meal if you are drinking with buddies and hanging out.

I usually use a 5.5 qt. pot.

1 lb bag of pinto beans uncooked. Clean before boiling. Boil them in water until the water turns brown I usually add salt to the water. While the beans boil this is what you do

chop up some tomatoes I usually do 3 big tomatoes diced
Chop up some jalapeno peppers into rounds I usually do 4 good sized peppers
Chop up half an onion into little bits
Chop up some cilantro I usually do half of a small bundle you get at the grocery store
Chop up 1 lb of bacon or 2lbs your call
Chop up some smoked pork chops or cooked pork chops
Chop up some really good cooked ham I usually do 1 lb.

Ok so once the water turns brown add the vegtables then give it 20 minutes or so and add all the meat . Then you let it all cook until the beans are tender. Once the beans are tender shut it down and let it simmer but last and not least add one full can of good light beer. I usually use miller. What you will have is frijoles borrachos or in English drunk beans.

There is no wrong way to cook these you can add more meat or more vegtables just not too much cilantro or that's all you will taste and the beer has to be added as soon as you shut the stove off. Too soon and all you will taste is beer. Good bacon and more bacon give it great flavor. You can soak the beans but that's what gives you the farts or so im told lol otherwise beans take a while to cook. I never followed a recipe my mom just told me what to do over the phone lol.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 26th, 2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old January 26th, 2014, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by olds1968
I build puzzles in my spare time mostly 1000 piece some 2000 and even a 3000 piece. I have done over 20,000 pieces in total and still counting, here are some of the ones i have and one 1500 piece I am working on right now.
Love the Sistine Ceiling. Good choice :-)
Old January 26th, 2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I'll just post it car designer lol. this is a great snack meal if you are drinking with buddies and hanging out.

I usually use a 5.5 qt. pot.

1 lb bag of pinto beans uncooked. Clean before boiling. Boil them in water until the water turns brown I usually add salt to the water. While the beans boil this is what you do

chop up some tomatoes I usually do 3 big tomatoes diced
Chop up some jalapeno peppers into rounds I usually do 4 good sized peppers
Chop up half an onion into little bits
Chop up some cilantro I usually do half of a small bundle you get at the grocery store
Chop up 1 lb of bacon or 2lbs your call
Chop up some smoked pork chops or cooked pork chops
Chop up some really good cooked ham I usually do 1 lb.

Ok so once the water turns brown add the vegtables then give it 20 minutes or so and add all the meat . Then you let it all cook until the beans are tender. Once the beans are tender shut it down and let it simmer but last and not least add one full can of good light beer. I usually use miller. What you will have is frijoles borrachos or in English drunk beans.

There is no wrong way to cook these you can add more meat or more vegtables just not too much cilantro or that's all you will taste and the beer has to be added as soon as you shut the stove off. Too soon and all you will taste is beer. Good bacon and more bacon give it great flavor. You can soak the beans but that's what gives you the farts or so im told lol otherwise beans take a while to cook. I never followed a recipe my mom just told me what to do over the phone lol.
I'm so trying this tomorrow. School's been cancelled because of the weather. I my have to go light on the peppers though. the ol
cast iron stomach is starting to rust through
I do most of the cooking in my house as well. I just don't get the time.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:19 PM
jfb

hey guys it is almost that time for us to get back to our real hobby and love. I am about 2 years from opening my chicago train exibit to the public and operations with it. The flea markets for us start around now and the prices usaully are pretty reasonable. I would love to see all of us enjor our rides and race show drive etc it is time to get the job done and roll and plan our year for spring summer etc.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:34 PM
The Noob Messiah

423.jpg
053.jpg

I am a 30+ year musician, working musician who has been on hiatus since 2008. I am also a lifetime watch guy, a WIS a Watch Idiot Savant and a DIYer plus of course a gearhead.
I grew up in Arlington, Texas and have bashed the DFW club scene since the late 1980's.
I am musician to the core...it was my life, once upon a time.

P.S. I aint that trim anymore LOL

null_zps11d0b091.jpg
Thanksgiving 2013
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=2blu442;640170]I enjoy rock collecting and several years ago I pulled this large quartz egg out of a rock quarry. It's like a thunder egg, but the crystals are grown together with only a small opening down in the center.

[URL=http://s90.photobucket.com/user/2blu442/media/Misc%20Pictures/p101

I'd like to see more of your rock collection I have a few to.I find some while hunting indian artifacts.Also arrowheads are made from different types of rocks some are from 100 miles from where I find them.There's a vein of rhyolite about 40 mile from here.Where they mined it I'd like go some time when I get time.
railguy
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:41 PM

i collect certain antiques of all types and heavy into antique us paper money 1862 and up
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:14 PM

I made a bed for my son last year.It's made from scraps from work.
railguy

IMG_3529 (2).jpg
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:49 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Olds 1968 - love the Escher.

I garden and cook. Here are some shots of my garden.
Attached Images
P1020728.jpg (132.5 KB, 26 views)
P1020733.jpg (141.7 KB, 27 views)
P1020735.jpg (150.4 KB, 27 views)
P1020736.jpg (156.4 KB, 25 views)
P1020740.jpg (136.8 KB, 22 views)
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by pcard

Wow great garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Railguy
I made a bed for my son last year.It's made from scraps from work.
railguy

Attachment 85002
With a screen name like Railguy living in Southeastern PA., I'm sure you get by Strasburg every now and then as another of your hobbies (?)
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:43 PM

Re-purposing old furniture and reselling it
Making beer...when I have the time.
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:48 PM

Before getting into law enforcement, I was a touring musician. I've played in 38 states. I play all styles of music. This song was a beast to learn. If you don't like extreme metal, don't bother watching.
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
With a screen name like Railguy living in Southeastern PA., I'm sure you get by Strasburg every now and then as another of your hobbies (?)

This is why I'm the railguy.

Image04082013085041.jpg

Image04082013085057.jpg

I've been to strasbourg once.
railguy
Old February 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM

Attachment 85084

Attachment 85085

railguy
Whoops. That' s what I get for assuming things. I've green to Strasburg quite a few times to ride the Strasburg RR and see the Railroad Museum of PA. Steam locomotives are fascinating things.
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:56 PM
NOVICE car nut

Attachment 85084

Attachment 85085

railguy

That's pretty cool . I was a painter for a number of years and I can't say I'm to fond of railings or the spindles that lay under them because I had to either stain or paint them lol
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:00 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by plonka
Before getting into law enforcement, I was a touring musician. I've played in 38 states. I play all styles of music. This song was a beast to learn. If you don't like extreme metal, don't bother watching. "Obfuscation" BTBAM drum cover by Jason Hearn - YouTube

That must of been tough to learn for sure . I use to play guitar , and I was a metal head back in the day but now that I'm older I listen to mellow stuff .
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Love the Sistine Ceiling. Good choice :-)
Thanks, some of you guys do some amazing stuff.
Old February 11th, 2014, 02:02 AM

I love Hard Rock music and RPG computer games, hoping to go to a concert someday with my boys.
Currently playing on http://www.gondorvsmordor.com/gvm1/ where a buddy of mine just became server host.
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:34 AM
The Noob Messiah

Absolutely AWESOME man....WOW

Old February 11th, 2014, 03:36 AM
The Noob Messiah

BTW I am still a metal head....XM Liquid Metal RULES

Great job plonka...most people don't "get" the style but I do....and hell yeah it was hard to transcribe. Personally I prefer metalcore...my thing is, "if it groves I'm in" from Bach to Lamb Of God and back. My tastes are all over the map. All over everywhere. It drives my family nuts LOL.

Last edited by txrob779; February 11th, 2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:46 AM
You Skin that Smokewagon

Hello all , my hobbies are Riding and rebuilding my Harley 130,000 miles and counting, I rebuild Nickelodeon pianos , on my 3rd looking for the next one, I build scale model cannons, the last one was a 1/2 scale 6 pounder, just sold ! My next goal is to fly my weight shift trike, Any teachers out there in the NY area ? " I am an above knee amputee so flight training might be a little tricky !
Attached Images
DSCF0126_3.jpg (97.6 KB, 24 views)
DSCF4468.jpg (74.3 KB, 24 views)
get-attachment-2.aspx.jpg (78.2 KB, 23 views)
DSCF4465.jpg (74.1 KB, 23 views)
DSCF4464.jpg (94.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by JOE CAPP; February 11th, 2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:01 AM
The Noob Messiah

HOLY S*** Joe, now THAT is some hobbies....wicked.

1st-details about your Harley please?
2nd-The Niclelodean's?
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Lots of musicians on CO. Here's a you tube of the Springsteen tribute band I'm in playing on a local TV show a couple of years ago - we're going to be playing April 3rd at Gas Monkey Grill - get to combine two of my hobbies that night.

Need to probably learn how to paste You Tubes properly, and learn a cover of Rocket 88

Last edited by costpenn; February 11th, 2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:47 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Fullsizelover
I love Hard Rock music and RPG computer games, hoping to go to a concert someday with my boys.
Currently playing on http://www.gondorvsmordor.com/gvm1/ where a buddy of mine just became server host.

wow that game looks cool . I still love PC games , but not as much as I use to now that I'm older . There are some really cool RPG's out there to play online , but I can't afford to pony up the money to join one of those . That's why I play games like Cardhunter lol
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:50 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by costpenn
Lots of musicians on CO. Here's a you tube of the Springsteen tribute band I'm in playing on a local TV show a couple of years ago - we're going to be playing April 3rd at Gas Monkey Grill - get to combine two of my hobbies that night.

Bruce Springsteen Tribute Thunder Road On GMT DFW TV - Cadillac Ranch - YouTube

Need to probably learn how to paste You Tubes properly, and learn a cover of Rocket 88

Excellent !
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:35 AM
2 '66 98's

A lot of guys on here do "wrenching" for a living but this guy does it as a hobby or art expression!

http://best-of-stories-etc.blogspot....l#.UvptBSibuFI

Last edited by bigoldscruiser; February 11th, 2014 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: what are your other hobbies guys?