The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

what are your other hobbies guys?

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2014, 03:18 PM
jfb

what are your other hobbies guys?

I am working on a giant model railroad in my basement and it too is almost finished. I have a un heated garage for the olds so super cold times are spent inside doing my Chicago gary Indiana railroad plus it is well detailed. I also go too a local model railroad swap meet and my overall costs for this are minimal. I stated earlier today that anything with thought process can be done cheaply and this also brings out my artistical side for the olds.
Old January 12th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

I've done several things. I got into the custom munny scene for a while. Sculpted and painted several pieces for people. I got out of doing that for several reasons.

Here's some of what I did. Some people like weird stuff.
http://molasses4masses.tumblr.com/

I also collected screen printed movie posters. It's a huge deal in Austin, TX (even though I'm not from there) since Alamo Draft House and Mondo put those out. Several pieces that I have had were worth $1,000 or more. I sold those.
Old January 12th, 2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jfb
I am working on a giant model railroad in my basement and it too is almost finished. I have a un heated garage for the olds so super cold times are spent inside doing my Chicago gary Indiana railroad plus it is well detailed. I also go too a local model railroad swap meet and my overall costs for this are minimal. I stated earlier today that anything with thought process can be done cheaply and this also brings out my artistical side for the olds.

Railroads are my other passion - especially the 1 to 1 scale smoky types. I'm also into music and play the sax in a Bruce Springsteen tribute band here in DFW.
Old January 12th, 2014, 03:26 PM

My other hobbies are girls and beer. Lol
Old January 12th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Justin

I mountain bike during the summer I like cross country style the most, but I think my main is I like junk and I collect and sell all kinds of stuff locally tires car parts down to yard sell items any thing worth a buck I tend to try and I hate to say it but I have sold some weird stuff

I love going yard clean up for the elderly you come across some fun things
Old January 12th, 2014, 03:46 PM

My hobbies (things one likes to spend time on) Grandchildren, garden, playing on my Kubota loader/backhoe. I keep busy. Ken
Old January 12th, 2014, 04:06 PM
jfb

Thumbs up agreement with that.

Originally Posted by costpenn
Railroads are my other passion - especially the 1 to 1 scale smoky types. I'm also into music and play the sax in a Bruce Springsteen tribute band here in DFW.
I am doing a early 70,s Chicago ho railroad including l lines that is all homemade and artistical. I work on a spring time scene and this really gets rid of the winter blues cheaply.
Old January 12th, 2014, 04:14 PM

This was my primary hoby for 31 years.

Now i have many HO Lionel trains. Some from when I was young and loads of them from my grandfather when he passed away. After I get done selling off my parts and get the W-30 finished, I plan to set up a nice layout in the basement.
Old January 12th, 2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Did you know about this 1 to 1 being restored. I fully intend to take a ride or trip on this when it is done. I have a Lionel Big Boy but my little track setup is not big enough to run it.

http://www.railgiants.org/union-paci...g-boy-4014.htm
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:06 PM

I go saltwater fishing every chance I get! But my biggest hobby is woodworking. I like to build stuff.
Here is a model of a Menhaden Fish boat I built.

[IMG]URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Sampson/media/Facebook/Fish%20Hawk/523761_2614110811841_1848804825_n.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:16 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how talented people are and how un-talented I am. I mean I can build a shop or re-model a kitchen but that fishing boat really takes talent. I tried learning the guitar once sheesh I can't remember the chords from the music sheet to the guitar, never mind play a song or even a concert from memory. But at least I have hobbies that i can enjoy so I consider myself very lucky that way. It's always interesting to see peoples talent and passion on display, that's why I like this site, you get to see that reflected in your cars.
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
It never ceases to amaze me how talented people are and how un-talented I am. I mean I can build a shop or re-model a kitchen but
You are very talented to do that. I would have to pay someone to remodel my kitchen. I could build you a full race MX bike for you to fix up my kitchen...
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:05 PM
jfb

Exclamation a add tomy original quote

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
It never ceases to amaze me how talented people are and how un-talented I am. I mean I can build a shop or re-model a kitchen but that fishing boat really takes talent. I tried learning the guitar once sheesh I can't remember the chords from the music sheet to the guitar, never mind play a song or even a concert from memory. But at least I have hobbies that i can enjoy so I consider myself very lucky that way. It's always interesting to see peoples talent and passion on display, that's why I like this site, you get to see that reflected in your cars.
I agree I fish camp and hunt with the olds guys plus ride motorcycles and car shows racing etc. I do the railroad during the winter and it creates artisty in my work and the olds and always keeps me going. I love to see people create wood working etc we all are very creative and it will come out on our rides in time in all areas.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:09 PM

I gunsmith for fun now days and my passion is a little tunnel visioned being I like to restore 19th century single shot mostly American and British made target rifles. Not something you find in the local Walmart but a fun hobby.

I'll see what pictures if any that I have sized for a post.

First firearm is a Parker DHE 12 ga. about 1922

Second is Ballard Union Hill long range target in 38/55 about 1878

Third is a modified 1885 Winchester in 219 Donaldson Wasp(very accurate)
Attached Images
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I used to race rc cars but it gets expensive. I also used to skateboard but 10 years if doing that has taken its toll on my body @ 25. In the winter my hobby is to collect parts for future builds , and do work around the house, work on my dads car at his shop which is somewhat heated . The car hobby for me never stops in the winter I keep actively busy in the car stuff and since I work on cars all day I get my fix for wrenching on the daily. Not a day goes by I don't miss stepping on that skateboard but my knees just cant take it anymore.

Old January 12th, 2014, 06:31 PM
jfb

I here ya copper I work in the industry too. I do not have a heated garage so real time on the olds this time of the year is out but I am almost done also with it. I really in the spring and summer get real time consuming jobs done and house repairs is just a given period. I used to hit all swap meets but I really do not have a need for it anymore the ride is just about complete. I always wanted to complete a Chicago railroad and it to is just about done before 40 and the car these are my bucket list projects. I get hook ups all over and life goes on.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:36 PM

I think model trains are cool. I like the detail but I don't think I could pull it off if I wanted to. I might set up a slot car track but even then that stuff fizzles out over time. I hit the swap meet for parts to sell down the road. You can always find cheap good tools that " fell off the truck " or I also like to pick up body supplies Like filler , tape , certain tools etc. I just like to get out lol.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:37 PM
jfb

I forgot to add that I have been a weightlifter since I was 17 and I am a heavy lifter and it really helps my stamina at home job etc. I used to get into local strength competition and after 10 years or so it becomes permanent weight. I do not even give it a second thought anymore I do it 3.5 days a week 1hr to 1.5 hrs.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:44 PM
jfb

amen copper I like to stay busy also as you can see and good tools are found at swap meets and garage sales in the end it only makes sense to use your time and resources as best as possible we only go around once. hey I do not always have time for posting but the weather and resources are what they are this year plus the weather stopped train parts shipments, I only have wiring left to do and a master control board and the east coast is shut down for shipping. I would like to get quite a few together late or early fall for fun and a carshow no politics or bs lets try to keep that idea alive I will check back on saturdaynights for postings.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:52 PM
jfb

hey copper you could pull off a good layout it is just like doing a large amount of bodywork it takes time patience and discipline and wheaton Illinois has a swap meet every month and has real good prices trust me at this one. I have about 260 square feet of layout done for about 6 to 700 bucks spread out over 8 to 10 years or 10 a month roughly 2 lunches of 20 out.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

Old school BMX is the other area that takes all of my time and money (if there is any of either left after working on the Olds.)

I still have my Hutch from '84 (top bike), and restored it to how it was set up back in July '85.
The green one on the bottom is a '97 Haro Zippo, retro'ed into an '85 Master.
Bikes1_zps2a6d5ce9.jpg

The others in this pic are projects waiting their turn:
Bikes2_zps7cf40ccc.jpg

The boxes are full of pieces and parts for future builds:
Bikes3_zps9e5ae541.jpg
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:01 PM

I just know I will go over board. There is a local hobby shop here in elgin and they have tons of train stuff I stop by and pick up model cars which I occasionally build. I would do a city to suburb to country to mountain side scenic type deal for a model train layout. I got this vision and if I do it it won't be cheap lol.
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:06 PM

@midrange I still have a mongoose fs-1 neon green. Love old school bmx bikes but that was a small phase I had in my early teens. I also had an all stainless Raleigh bmx racing bike that got stolen. I had a redline , a robinson , and many gt/dyno's .
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:30 PM

I enjoy rock collecting and several years ago I pulled this large quartz egg out of a rock quarry. It's like a thunder egg, but the crystals are grown together with only a small opening down in the center.

p1010001-1.jpg

Then I also like hiking, something I have to do in my job. About 10 years ago I was hiking up an old closed road. It had snowed the night before and a light rain was falling. I'm about half a mile from my truck when I come across these bear tracks, very fresh tracks. I never saw the bear but I'm sure it was keeping an eye on me as the tracks crossed the road four time over the next mile or so that I had to cover.

bear.jpg
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:07 PM

I have a machine shop at my house, and love building/fabricating and helping others, which is a lot, as I live in a small town of about 10,000, and I am the only machinist within 100 miles. This has also helped in the restoration of my 1961 super 88. Cant find a part? simple, make it.
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Old School Olds

John, I hope you carry your
side arm when you go on your hikes...Yikes!
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by midrange

What are the two back ones? I love the 80s Haro masters. I just sold the 88 Haro Master that I bought new. It had Peregrine Super Pros on it. I had an 87 Haro FST and got rid of it to get the Master. I was more into flatland than vert.
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:44 PM

I just hope bears do not like their food covered in poop, cause that's what I'd do!

John,
Cool pictures, I love hiking also, I was in boy scouts & take the family to state parks & such as much as we can.
I also love hitting junkyards for more inventory or just to treasure hunt.
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Man, there is some real talent on here. I am impressed and suddenly feel very inferior. I spend a lot of time with my two grandsons who are 11 and 8 and live with us. Their father is worthless and completely out of their lives and they are great kids. I do a lot of home projects also.
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:25 PM

I collect old soda machines and gas station stuff. I have a passion for this stuff. I recently started collecting old tools, vices, presses, floor jacks, anything really old and really cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo-197.JPG (114.4 KB, 67 views)
photo-76.JPG (116.6 KB, 58 views)
photo-202.JPG (140.1 KB, 60 views)
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Old School Olds

I like your collection of ice chests.
Very cool!
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:02 PM

i play/tour/work with "rock bands" i also collect ol fender/gibson /rickenbaker guitars and ol marshall amps ..(anyone got any here???)..cars and guitars two bloody expensive hobbies! lucky im not married
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:06 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by midrange
Old school BMX is the other area that takes all of my time and money (if there is any of either left after working on the Olds.)

I still have my Hutch from '84 (top bike), and restored it to how it was set up back in July '85.
The green one on the bottom is a '97 Haro Zippo, retro'ed into an '85 Master.

The others in this pic are projects waiting their turn:

The boxes are full of pieces and parts for future builds:

cool . I use to be into that in the early 80's and had a Thruster .
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:14 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Man, there is some real talent on here. I am impressed and suddenly feel very inferior. I spend a lot of time with my two grandsons who are 11 and 8 and live with us. Their father is worthless and completely out of their lives and they are great kids. I do a lot of home projects also.

Wow , the kid issue is very sad . I have my hands full here , my son has ADHD and can be a REAL challenge at times to say the least . I would NEVER even think about being away from my two children .
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:43 PM

Very cool pictures and hobbies, thanks for sharing!
I was a fanatic soccer and tennis player until an opposing player decided to destroy my knee and end my career right before I turned 18..
There's not one day I don't miss it, but then again, with 3 times soccer practice and one match and 2 times tennis practice and one match a week sometimes both at the same day, I guess I would have never found the time to work on cars that much, so it definately cuts both ways!
Attached Images
53447961_1241903659315_l.jpg (150.1 KB, 36 views)
Old January 14th, 2014, 04:55 AM

I have a 300 Gallon Reef aquarium.I put just as much time into it as I do my car.Theres nothing like having a piece of the ocean in your home.My first tank was at the age of 13 and im 46 now.I have made my share of mistakes but I think I have a pretty good handle on it now.There is alot to learn but technology has come along way in keeping coral in the past 20 years.
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by ostie13
I have a 300 Gallon Reef aquarium.I put just as much time into it as I do my car.Theres nothing like having a piece of the ocean in your home.My first tank was at the age of 13 and im 46 now.I have made my share of mistakes but I think I have a pretty good handle on it now.There is alot to learn but technology has come along way in keeping coral in the past 20 years.
Would love to see a pic of your aquarium! I'm watching every available episode of "tanked"
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:06 AM

My main hobbies are snowmobiling, weightlifting and riding my Harley. I used to be into competitive Muay Thai kickboxing for a long time but I'm just getting too old for that stuff anymore.
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:22 AM

Wow, a lot of talented folks on here. For me, hunting in the fall, primarily Pheasant.
Attached Images
Maggie's 300th.jpg (43.4 KB, 47 views)
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:53 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by dancutlass
would love to see a pic of your aquarium! I'm watching every available episode of "tanked" :d

Quick Reply: what are your other hobbies guys?