The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

What is wrong with young people!

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2015 | 01:58 PM

What is wrong with young people!

This younger generation is something else. I sure hope it is not this way all across the country. I have 13 guys under me at work and most are between 20 and 31. I have one guy that has called in 11 times this year, another has called in 10 times, and another 7 times.

We have one main customer that is 95% of our business. They give us their product and we outfit it with our product and then off to the end user. We work on an average of 2000 of their product per year and some times we have to send it back because they did some minor thing wrong and needs reworked. We put a tag on the front with a note to tell them what is wrong. Well, one of my guys put a note that said he was tired of working on their junk with lots of bad language. They fixed it over the weekend and called me first thing this morning. They took a picture of the tag and showed me and sent it to the top of their company. Nothing like making the people mad that supplies 95% of our business. Every day it is like I am a babysitter and it is wearing me out.

For a non college educated job this is the best place you could ever want to work. We pay better than any comparable job in the area and have much more freedom in our work than anywhere near by. It is hard work much of the times but as long as you do what it takes when we are busy then they will let you stand around and do nothing when we are not. There are NO layoffs ever. The problem with our work is that it take 3 years to train someone. We have a huge amount invested in these guys in training and now they pull this kind of stuff. We simply can not afford to let go of the experience but at the same time not sure it is affordable to keep putting up with this stuff. The younger they are the worse it is. I know the generation before me said things about my generation but at least we would show up for work and be courteous to a customer.

I can't hardly even take a day off work because something stupid is sure to happen while I am gone.

Sorry for the rant, I just can't figure out these young guys.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 02:31 PM

No work ethic. I see it every day where I work. That is why my company only hires temps now. If they last a year, they might get hired permanent.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
This younger generation is something else. I sure hope it is not this way all across the country. I have 13 guys under me at work and most are between 20 and 31. I have one guy that has called in 11 times this year, another has called in 10 times, and another 7 times.

We have one main customer that is 95% of our business. They give us their product and we outfit it with our product and then off to the end user. We work on an average of 2000 of their product per year and some times we have to send it back because they did some minor thing wrong and needs reworked. We put a tag on the front with a note to tell them what is wrong. Well, one of my guys put a note that said he was tired of working on their junk with lots of bad language. They fixed it over the weekend and called me first thing this morning. They took a picture of the tag and showed me and sent it to the top of their company. Nothing like making the people mad that supplies 95% of our business. Every day it is like I am a babysitter and it is wearing me out.

For a non college educated job this is the best place you could ever want to work. We pay better than any comparable job in the area and have much more freedom in our work than anywhere near by. It is hard work much of the times but as long as you do what it takes when we are busy then they will let you stand around and do nothing when we are not. There are NO layoffs ever. The problem with our work is that it take 3 years to train someone. We have a huge amount invested in these guys in training and now they pull this kind of stuff. We simply can not afford to let go of the experience but at the same time not sure it is affordable to keep putting up with this stuff. The younger they are the worse it is. I know the generation before me said things about my generation but at least we would show up for work and be courteous to a customer.

I can't hardly even take a day off work because something stupid is sure to happen while I am gone.

Three years to train someone to do the job!! Get over yourself! I think i see the problem!I may be wrong if your company hires people that have very little smarts and expects them to excel. To call in 7 times isn't that much time missed in a year. Sorry for my Rant!!
Old March 9th, 2015 | 02:33 PM

As a former business owner dealing with products destined for consumer use, if that guy worked for me, he wouldn't work for me anymore and I would be on that customers doorstep with my hat in my hand with apologies to everyone there.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 02:33 PM

what is wrong with young people

The short answer is ... spanking became bad.

The long answer is .... their parents didn't grow up. They taught their children to stay children too.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 02:34 PM

The problem is they haven't missed a meal because of their stupidly... as yet. I was a tolerant boss when I had my business but if something like that occurred someone would have been fired that day and the rest of the crew would have to pick up the slack till a trainee could be found. In life or business no one is so important that they can't be replaced...... Tedd
Old March 9th, 2015 | 02:50 PM

Is there an attendance policy in place? Is it clear and understandable. If there is not one, management needs to institute one right away. Usually all it takes is one to be let go for missing too much work and the rest straighten up (for a while). You can approach it as it is not fair to the others that show up for work to have to carry that person's load.
What sort of job that doesn't require an advanced degree requires 3 years of OJT...........?
Old March 9th, 2015 | 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Three years to train someone to do the job!! Get over yourself! I think i see the problem!I may be wrong if your company hires people that have very little smarts and expects them to excel. To call in 7 times isn't that much time missed in a year. Sorry for my Rant!!
Nothing to get over. It take 3 years and even then you can't do everything. The call ins are from January first till today. This is excessive.

If we hired someone out of college it would still take 3 years to train them. College can not offer the training we need.

Last edited by jensenracing77; March 9th, 2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 02:53 PM
Administrator

I agree with Ted, there would have been a firing (or more if anyone else threw their hat in the ring). My only real concerned observation is when a company has all there eggs in one customer, that golden goose may quit laying. Poor attendance means the individual has no interest in the job.

As far as young people are concerned, to be honest I don't think that will ever change. They said the same things of all generations although some of us were exceptions.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by edzolz
As a former business owner dealing with products destined for consumer use, if that guy worked for me, he wouldn't work for me anymore and I would be on that customers doorstep with my hat in my hand with apologies to everyone there.
I contacted my boss and he will not let me fire him. We have a great relationship with our customer and they do not want us to fire him either over this. We are going to take him there tomorrow and have him personally apologize to their plant manager. After the talk we had I know he will never do it again.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Is there an attendance policy in place? Is it clear and understandable. If there is not one, management needs to institute one right away. Usually all it takes is one to be let go for missing too much work and the rest straighten up (for a while). You can approach it as it is not fair to the others that show up for work to have to carry that person's load.
What sort of job that doesn't require an advanced degree requires 3 years of OJT...........?
This is the first year for one. We never needed one till now. Last year got out of hand so I started one. After they use all their paid time they get 5 days unpaid and then it is a 5 day suspension. After that if they miss 5 more they will be fired. I already have a guy on his first unpaid day and it is only March.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 03:01 PM

Maybe the title of this thread should be 'Management has no ***** to fire anybody anymore'
Old March 9th, 2015 | 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
Maybe the title of this thread should be 'Management has no ***** to fire anybody anymore'
X1000. I do have 2 guys I would let go of but my boss will not let me. I am hiring 3 more and when they are up and running with the basics in a couple years I plan to do some house cleaning.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 03:21 PM

I contacted my boss and he will not let me fire him. We have a great relationship with our customer and they do not want us to fire him either over this. We are going to take him there tomorrow and have him personally apologize to their plant manager. After the talk we had I know he will never do it again.

You and your customer are enabling him. Fire him, make a long probationary period for new hires, and make an incentive program that recognizes, among other things, not calling in sick
Old March 9th, 2015 | 03:22 PM
the hot box

Let me start off by saying I dont want you to take offense to anything I'm about to say. I'll put it as eloquently as possible in a form to enlighten you on different outlooks. As a "young people" I can say I highly disapprove of your view thru rose-colored glasses. I've worked the same Hazmat job (training from 16-18, full time 18-now) since I started in the working world. Admittedly sometimes, i have my bad days but the majority of the time, I'm the most helpful, most polite, and honest person at my job. I've been told by numerous of my customers that they'd rather deal with me than my baby-boomer generation co-workers.

Then on the other hand, i've had customers, swear up and down to me that what i'm telling them is wrong, or that i'm trying to rip them off, cuss me out, report me to management for refusing to help them to do things (which happens in the case that a customer wants me to do something for them that is against:

a.) OSHA rules
b.) insurance requirements
c.) DOT laws,
and most importantly,
d.) Company policy.

See, i work in a field where the customer is NOT always right. Lax demeanor and no respect for the things we work with can result in getting everyone killed, therefore, when a customer makes a request that can't be done safely, it's a "Sorry, I can't".. end of story.

But the problem comes in when, with all due respect, people like you, come in, look at me like I'm just another young punk who's being lazy, or doesn't know what I'm talking about, and treats me as such -- without ever giving me a chance to prove you otherwise. I'll admit, sometimes, i have less self-control than other times. I still have not yet mastered the ancient Chinese method of just shutting the hell up and not speaking my mind. Unfortunately, I have a bad temper, and coming at me with a bad attitude or just being straight up rude from the jump-start will land you with the unhelpful, unfriendly side of me -- and you can go inside to the main office and complain, I'll even tell you my name to go tell to the manager; management sides with me 99% of the time, because, even tho I'm young.. I show up to work every day on time, I do what i'm supposed to do, I don't mind staying a few minutes late, plus, on a normal basis, they know i've got a very positive attitude, and one thing that people know about me is that, I have no problem with going out of my way to help someone that needs it, doesn't matter if physically or information-wise. I'll give you all the knowledge i have, and if i can't help you, i'll tell you upfront and direct you to someone that can.

See I literally work every position in my company. From fill plant duty, to warehouse duty, to dock/loading/unloading duty, to front office/sales counter duty, to making deliveries, even though my official title is "Warehouse Manager", I'm literally there to help wherever I'm called. One day, I was working the sales counter, when an older gentleman brought some merchandise in for replacements. There's a big yellow sign on the door that tells you where to bring said merchandise -- to the dock in the back. So, i told him:

Sir, you need service?
He said "Yeah. Those two right there."
so I said, "OK, well you need to take those back around to the dock."
He just looks at me with a blank stare for a few moments and snaps..
he's like What what? Oh i guess you want me to do it huh? That's what you want? You want me to do it?

Ok so at this point I'm like OK, well I'll do it for you this time but normally you're supposed to bring it around to the back.

This guy has the audacity to look at me again like he's going to explode, eyeballs all huge and veins in his forehead popping and snaps again.. he's like Look kid i didn't know alright, i've never been here before if you want me to take em fine I'll take em.

At this point, inside my head, i'm saying Well it's not my fault you're a damn dumbass and can't read the sign on the door that tells you what to do BUT!, i simply said "no sir, i'll take them for you."

So when I come back, it turns out he needed a few more things, so i retained my helpful attitude, though in my head i'm thinking "jeeze what a jackass".. then when i'm starting on the paperwork, this guy, who was probably in his 50's or 60's, pats me on my shoulder and says "I'm sorry son, i didn't mean to fuss you like that. See where I work, all the young people your age are so disrespectful and have the nastiest attitudes. I guess I just took you for one of them. I'm sorry, seriously.

So at this point, apology accepted, though i was angry at first, keeping a level head paid off. I proved him wrong. Another customer, who was also inside the storefront at the time but not with him, even told him "yeah man you were going a little hard on him" when he started apologizing. When I look back at it, i did the right thing. However, my co-workers would have exploded, there would have been a nasty argument, and we would have lost the sale.

In this situation, it was the arrogance of an older gentleman that could have caused an altercation, my level head balanced it out and it was a peaceful ending. And even though i accepted his apology, which he manned up and made without a word of lip from me, I still dont think he was in the right, because he straight up said he was giving me **** because he thought i was like "other young people." I played it cool and respectfully, and now, the guy knows the procedure, i got an apology, and best of all, we made a sale.

So, jensenracing77, you may think that was an exaggeration or otherwise irrelevant story, but it's not. it's factual, and the reason why i share it is because that guy kinda reminds me of you, not you personally, because i dont know you; but it reminds me of your outlook on this situation and the damning of all young people. His attitude is similar to yours, and personally i don't think that the actions of a few should determine how you look at the rest of people who are similar to them. Your standpoint is dangerously similar to those people who hold racist and sexist beliefs. Is it O.K. to hate all Muslims because a few extremists who don't even believe the same things as most Muslims blow up a school? Of course not. It's not O.K. to downplay any group of people because of one bad one.

I WILL say that, yes, the majority of people my age (20's) do have bad attitudes, and some are blatantly disrespectful, and/or have no respect for property nor life. However there's one in every group, and my generation cannot be solely to blame. Look at all the things that's wrong with the world.. can you blame it all on us? No, because my generation is 20-30 years old and the world has been screwed for far longer than that.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 03:25 PM

You missed the point many times!!WHAT JOB TAKES THREE YEARS TO TRAIN?????Now i know why the guys under you have problems you avoid the question. That is why i said get over yourself!!
Old March 9th, 2015 | 03:43 PM

dredluxx... 55% of my guys are the greatest I could ever ask for and are also 22-28. I may have come across as all that age but I guess I mean to say I see most of it in this age group. I guess maturity is what it comes down to most.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 03:45 PM

You missed the point many times!!WHAT JOB TAKES THREE YEARS TO TRAIN?????Now i know why the guys under you have problems you avoid the question. That is why i said get over yourself!!
I am not going to answer who I work for publically and you must be a young guy! Why can you not understand a job taking three years of training?
Old March 9th, 2015 | 03:55 PM

A journeyman machinist takes 4 years to be license certified. 8,000-10,000 hours in the shop and about 700 hours of school to get journeyman card......BUT ANYWAY..........There was this valuable high ranking 10 year employee, who broke a customer's policy. Video to prove it. Customer got ahold of employee's company and showed them the video. They told, Company "A" to fire him. Company "A" did very quickly. It was easier and wiser to replace employee than customer.

Last edited by buzz lightyear; March 9th, 2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 9th, 2015 | 03:56 PM

One bad apple............
I will take attitude over ability or knowledge any day.

If Feel your pain Eric.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 04:00 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Im 25 and started doing collision repair straight out of high school. It took me 3 years to be able to comfortably work on my own. I rarely call in sick , the only time i take of is vacation, im known to work through lunch or take it late if we are busy , Im always 20 to 25 minutes early . I grew up with my dad taking me to his work when he used to go in on the afternoons and it was just him working . He would pay me to do odd stuff around the shop do small tedious task's to kill time. I started going to his shop when i was 5. Work is somewhat life for me. I grew up watching my dad work , I learned the value of a dollar from a young age. Now as an adult taking a day off means my pay check will he a few hundred dollars short which is not fun. The problem with people my age or younger is no work ethic , they dont value their job m they feel entitled to it . Kids grow up now getting trophies for trying ., Not even winning , They get ice cream after baseball regardless of winning. Whats happening is these kids grow up to be adults and growing up they got rewarded wether or not they succeded.

@ WR1970 My cousin worked for kenworth for 8 years . left to go work for a union outfit. he has to start from the bottom through a 4 year apprentice program to work through that union as a diesel mechanic. My brother in law works for one of the biggest pipe fitter unions in the U.S. their apprentice program is 5 years. So tell how learning a job for 3 years is a such a big thing ? Im sorry but not all jobs you can learn in 2 weeks. i have been At my trade for 8 years and im still learining .
Old March 9th, 2015 | 04:14 PM

Is your name Joe? If it is, I fired you a year ago.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 04:39 PM

I am not going to answer who I work for publically and you must be a young guy! Why can you not understand a job taking three years of training?
We (or at least I) am not asking whom you work for, rather what line of work are you in?
Old March 9th, 2015 | 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Is your name Joe? If it is, I fired you a year ago.
allyolds you are totally wrong to even start this. Stick your reply where the sun doesn't shine! Jennsen no i am not young! There seems to be a little on the deceptive side of what type of work with no college required. All these other guys chiming in as to how long for training as machinist ect i understand .This job may or may not need 3 years to train someone. But ball buster on young guys with all these guys showed me he has a bad attitude! Dude i have had 42 under me before as a lead. Really you think you guys have had it with young guys i see communication and relating skills lacking. Here is a no college job for you example. Have you ever seen the boeing 747 taken apart with full interior and i mean floors, insulation blankets, seats, walls, bath rooms, galleys, empty tube? Then you have to put it back together and make it look new again. I done this for 26 years work on many platforms of aircraft where they were one or two no monkey see monkey do with them.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:08 PM

I said it because what you said above is incredibly disrespectful.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:12 PM
car guy

I feel your pain man I feel it!!

Originally Posted by matt68F-85
No work ethic.
very little of it out there

Originally Posted by Professur
The short answer is ... spanking became bad.

The long answer is .... their parents didn't grow up. They taught their children to stay children too.
yup

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
The problem is they haven't missed a meal because of their stupidly
so few are held accountable for thier actions

The call ins are from January first till today. This is excessive.
I just don't get it. I deal with the same thing

Originally Posted by dredluxx

I WILL say that, yes, the majority of people my age (20's) do have bad attitudes, and some are blatantly disrespectful, and/or have no respect for property nor life. However there's one in every group, and my generation cannot be solely to blame. Look at all the things that's wrong with the world.. can you blame it all on us? No, because my generation is 20-30 years old and the world has been screwed for far longer than that.
The problem is you are the exception not the rule.

Originally Posted by Sampson
One bad apple............
I will take attitude over ability or knowledge any day.

If Feel your pain Eric.
I agree Sampson

The problem I really see is 10-15 years from now. My shop is made up of 25 or so techs. most are late 40's - to early 50's. We try to bring in new guys to learn the trade but they just don't make it. In the 5 years I have been at this dealership I watched at least 10 not make it in the mean time the old guys just get older. I'm sure other industries are similar but I talk with managers all over town and its the same story. 10-15 years from now there will be very few auto techs left.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:20 PM

There are studies out there showing the level of Narcissistic bahavier in our young is on the rise.

I've also read articles on how stress and low pay affect employee’s attitudes.

I also had some of the same issues with elite soldiers during my time in the military. Bad attitudes, narcissistic people, and no one is willing to take responsibility for their actions.

I feel for you.

I also understand why you aren't giving too many details on an open forum. Most young guys probably wouldn't. LOL
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
We (or at least I) am not asking whom you work for, rather what line of work are you in?
I understand, It is a refrigeration business but what we do has little to do with refrigeration. The bad part is that we are without question the best in the world at what we do. In quality and volume. Even with these troubles we are the best. This is part of why things like this get overlooked by upper management. Second best can only do between 100 and 200 per year and have many quality problems. We can do 2000 per year without a single warranty claim. Our main customer also has the best quality in their industry. I do not know if they are #1 in the business but without question their quality is. They and us are not the lowest priced but by far the best. When an end user (the real customer) has something special that has never been done they only come to us because no place else has the resources to make it happen.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:22 PM
Administrator

Since I've worked in the real world and at car dealers, Richard you just can't compare the 2. Most car dealers are not the norm for employment standards and good business sense.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I said it because what you said above is incredibly disrespectful.
Smart guy who thinks it up to you to set things right!! Go sit down and shut up!! This guy was labeling all young guys so who was being disrespectful first. His replys and they way he talks about co -workers speaks a lot about how he deals with every day issues that he is in charge of. No need to start complaining about the younger generation as a whole! I am 59 i got along fine with younger workers.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:31 PM

Smart guy who thinks it up to you to set things right!! Go sit down and shut up!! This guy was labeling all young guys so who was being disrespectful first. His replys and they way he talks about co -workers speaks a lot about how he deals with every day issues that he is in charge of. No need to start complaining about the younger generation as a whole! I am 59 i got along fine with younger workers.
You obviously have not a clue about what I do and what my guys think about me.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:33 PM

I am in the same boat along with other building contractors, plumbing, electrical, and heating, and we have talked about this for some years now. It is hard to find any young people to willing to work hard and learn the trade. Still there. Most know nothing and want big bucks to start ( And don't work for their money. They want the so called big money up front and then they will work harder???) Please. Also too busy with electronics. (You know what I mean.) Sheesh! Been in this for 37 years.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:36 PM

Wow . I didnt find what was said in the initial post at all disrespectful. Im 25 and if his workers have called in 7 times since january then yeah thats ecessive as all hell imo. How bout you shut up and sit down and really think about whats at hand here wr1970 . There is a reason WHY good technicians , welders , machine operators are in demand. Sure all the old timers are retiring but the new guys coming in probably suck and are not reliable or dont cut it. In most places i have worked i got 3 personal days and 5 vacation days per years with a steady rise in vacation days. using 7 days in 3 months WTF !
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Wow . I didnt find what was said in the initial post at all disrespectful. Im 25 and if his workers have called in 7 times since january then yeah thats ecessive as all hell imo. How bout you shut up and sit down and really think about whats at hand here wr1970 . There is a reason WHY good technicians , welders , machine operators are in demand. Sure all the old timers are retiring but the new guys coming in probably suck and are not reliable or dont cut it. In most places i have worked i got 3 personal days and 5 vacation days per years with a steady rise in vacation days. using 7 days in 3 months WTF !
Buddy system at work here.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:41 PM

Jensen you got a PM.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:44 PM

Not buddy system i think we are all rational for the most part .
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:47 PM
Administrator

Lets not get into a pissing contest and have a civil discussion. There is no need to get disrespectful to one and other.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Not buddy system i think we are all rational for the most part .
Yeah right!! Like one fly smells something then all the other flys join in.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:50 PM

Keep it up, you're making me look even better. He was talking about young people in general. You specifically attacked him just like you're attacking me now.
Old March 9th, 2015 | 05:51 PM

What ever makes you sleep at night wr1970

Quick Reply: What is wrong with young people!