The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

A true crime story from Tampa Fl....As told by my Aunt

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2011 | 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
OK guys,...with those kind of crime stats I'd be packing a piece as well We have around 300 homicides annually nationally across a population of around $20mill. Only 15% of those involve firearms.
Check this out.

The USA has about 330 Million so that's roughly 16.5 times the Aussie population.
That would be about 4950 homicides in the US annually to be comparable.
We have more like 16,000 or so which is ~3.8x the murder rate as Australia per capita.

One thing to consider here is per capita. Check this out.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita

Are you familiar with Switzerland's militia ??
Switzerland militia is their civilian population for the most part up to the age of 30 iirc (reserves).
This means MANY homes, in fact MOST homes have Assault Rifles in them. 1.2 million.

Switzerland has far less per capita homicides then Australia.
So this is proof that GUNS aren't the problem.
Cultural variations are the problem.

Now put a gun in the hand of every African.......murder rate skyrockets.
I have done several reports on Gun Control by countries in college.
Gun Bans are not the answer here in the USA. It creates massive victim zones.
People will just kill each other via other means.

Another point I wanted to bring up......is Border Towns in the south of the USA.
These are rampant with crime because of the illegal alien invasion and drug cartels.
NO guns to protect themselves.......you'd be scraping people off the streets daily.

Another note to point out, is the fact that without guns to defend one self,
Crime rates in OTHER areas go up. Robberies, Rape, Assaults, etc.
Look at what happened in England.......prime example.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 10th, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old January 10th, 2011 | 08:12 PM
GM Enthusiast

I like when there's a happy ending.
x2
Old January 11th, 2011 | 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Over here in Dallas, the news reports on the avg. 3-5 killings a day due to robbery, domestic violence, racial issues, or revenge. Having a gun to protect yourself is almost required here.
In south dallas, even an run down chevy cavalier is fair game for car jackings.
3-5 a day...1000 to 1500 a year Surely you have misquoted your source.
Old January 11th, 2011 | 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bunser
3-5 a day...1000 to 1500 a year Surely you have misquoted your source.
Right, it is most likely higher. Also these are just shootings, not slayings. Pleasant Grove and Oak Cliff are the worst places it seems.
This is a very rough average to what I read on our city's online newspaper most mornings. Of course, small incident shootings are not always listed. If they do not die, they often do not even make it to the paper...

We were relieved when this was released over a year ago:
Dallas crime rate no longer the highest among large US cities
07:03 AM CDT on Wednesday, May 27, 2009
By TANYA EISERER / The Dallas Morning News
teiserer@dallasnews.com
Dallas has shed its title as the U.S. city of more than 1 million with the highest crime rate.
The city is poised to announce that the No. 1 rank, which Dallas held for at least 10 years, now goes to San Antonio.
Based on an analysis of population growth and crime numbers released last week by the Texas Department of Public Safety, Dallas will drop to the No. 2 spot, and Houston will rank third.
"We're clearly headed in the right direction," said Mayor Tom Leppert. "I believe there is still a lot of work left to be done. We want to see it lower than it is today."
According to statistics individual cities reported to the state, Dallas now has a rate of 68 crimes per 1,000 residents; San Antonio has 79 crimes per 1,000 residents and Houston has 59 crimes per 1,000 residents.
The Dallas City Council had set a goal for the Police Department to get the city out of the top spot by 2008. The city appears to have met that goal.
"That's good news," said Police Chief David Kunkle, who took the post almost five years ago. "Our officers have worked very hard. It is a credit to a lot of different people whenever crime is going down in a community."
Last year, every category of crime – ranging from murder to theft – fell in Dallas. The city recorded more than 10,000 fewer offenses.
And crime continues to fall. It is down 17.5 percent through April.

And Dallas is not pleasant to drive either:

Dallas ranks second in nation for road rage
12:12 PM Wed, Jun 17, 2009 | Permalink |
Selwyn Crawford/Editor

OK, Dallas drivers. You're mad as hell and won't take it anymore. So says a recently released survey that ranks Dallas as second only to New York nationwide for road rage.
According to the fourth annual road rage survey by AutoVantage, a national auto club, Dallas drivers love to drive aggressively, honk their car horns and shoot the finger -- or something else -- while in traffic. The telephone survey of 2,518 people was conducted between Jan. 8 and March 24.
Other cities in the top five behind Dallas were Detroit, Atlanta and Minneapolis/St. Paul, respectively.
Dallas actually moved "up" in the ranking this year. It ranked ninth for road rage in 2008, but Dallas motorists confessions gave them number one rankings for talking on their cell phones, cutting off other drivers and tailgating. Those three areas combined to make Dallas a nasty place to drive.
There is hope for Dallas drivers, though. Last year, Baltimore was number four on the least courteous list of drivers. In this year's survey, they moved up one spot to third -- but this time they joined the cities with the least road rage.
Meanwhile, if you're looking for immediate peace and serenity on your daily commute -- move. That's right, AutoVantage ranked Portland as the number one most courteous city for drivers. Well, it is the City of Roses.

Lots of shootings happen this way, too. My neighbor's friend was killed by a road rager.
Old January 11th, 2011 | 06:12 AM

Guns have been around for hundreds of years, The technology required to make one isn't rocket science. Just about any of the car guys I know could make up a crude functional single shot shotgun from some pipe and steel in one afternoon. Their here to stay!! I thought our right to bear arms was not only a personal freedom, but more about keeping the government honest. I've had one pointed at me a couple times during robberies and those barrels do look bigger from the wrong end. I respect the opinions of those who would like to control them, it just doesn't seem possible. I knew the AZ slaughter would bring the gun control issue back to the table. Everybody loses when a lunitic or criminal starts shooting.
Old January 11th, 2011 | 12:50 PM

Aceshigh, were did your post go? Did you change your mind while on the soapbox?
Old January 11th, 2011 | 04:19 PM

I deleted it.

There's only so much I should say without leading to a political discussion.
Don't want to do that.
Old January 11th, 2011 | 04:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Shame I missed it, though I suppose everyone's views are clear on this particular subject by now...

- Eric
Old January 11th, 2011 | 06:29 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by aceshigh
i deleted it.

There's only so much i should say without leading to a political discussion.
Don't want to do that.
Yea, you wouldn't want to do that.

Last edited by MN71W30; January 11th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old January 11th, 2011 | 09:05 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by MN71W30
Guns have been around for hundreds of years, The technology required to make one isn't rocket science. Just about any of the car guys I know could make up a crude functional single shot shotgun from some pipe and steel in one afternoon. Their here to stay!!
Polio & Smallpox were around for hundreds of years and we managed to get rid of them
Hey Aces High...what's the latest on your brother's situation?
Old January 11th, 2011 | 09:14 PM

Hey Aces High...what's the latest on your brother's situation?
Criminal case against the ex-officer has been continued about 7 times.
Might start next month. Almost a year later. The ex-cops lawyer is jerkin us around.
That's just how these things go. Play the system........

He's trying a Hail Mary now.......which won't do him any good.

After the criminal case against the officer ends, the civil suit will begin.
That will take awhile.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 11th, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old January 11th, 2011 | 10:03 PM
...should get a life....

I don't know what a hail Mary is, but we've been talking about who the biggest criminals are and you mentioned Lawyers...... At least that dude is an ex-cop now. I don't see how he could possibly have any sort of case against what we all saw on video. Hope bro has mended OK after his beating
Old January 11th, 2011 | 11:32 PM

I don't know what a hail Mary is,
A Hail Mary is a last ditch effort in US Football.
A play that puts every receiver out in hopes that a play can be made.

So I'm using it as a courtroom effort which is similar.
Thanks though, he's doing much better both physically and mentally.
We have alot of help from various dept's nationwide to ensure justice.
I have some Internal Affairs people helping from other states that I know.

Whatever they hit us with, I have resources to counter.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 11th, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old January 12th, 2011 | 12:40 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
A Hail Mary is a last ditch effort in US Football.
A play that puts every receiver out in hopes that a play can be made.
There ya go,...I've learned something new today
Guess it helps if all your receivers are Catholic
We're getting quite a bit of NFL down here on TV these days. I don't mind it. One of our legendary Rugby League coaches, Jack Gibson, spent some time in the States back in the late 70s. From memory he worked with the Green Bay coaching staff. He came back with a lot of new stuff which changed the game here even though it's a totally different sport. For the first time statistics mattered with respect to their relevance to the result. Time in possession, metres gained, missed tackles, time in the opposition half etc etc. The biggest deal for Jack was defence. He even changed the way we Aussies pronounce it. We always said D'fence and not Deefence like you guys. Jack came back with the "deefence" thing and now its the norm. For the record I kinda follow the Vikings...don't ask me why.
Old January 12th, 2011 | 05:57 AM

For the For the record I kinda follow the Vikings...don't ask me why.

Ok, I won't ask.
Old January 15th, 2011 | 11:40 AM

Up here in Canada they brought started to bring in gun control about 15 years ago. At that time they said it would cost around only 1 million dollars for us Canadians to bring in gun control. Any ways 15 years later we are up over 1 Billion dollars for this stupid gun control, now they want to scrap the bill. Which would of made sense before it even started. So yes if any country is trying to bring this bill in it is a big waste of our dollars. Just another money grab by you know who
Old January 16th, 2011 | 07:39 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

UPDATE*************

The guy my uncle got was one of Tampas "MOST WANTED" Dirt bags.....More info to follow when I get it!

Amazing the direction a thread takes..........

I posted this on 3 sites.........This is the only one that made it past 4-5 posts,The memebers of CO have passion and thats a good thing! Carry on!

PS Iowa just became a CCW state,Time to take the class and be a well armed crime stopping citizen!

Last edited by BIGJERR; January 16th, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old January 16th, 2011 | 09:40 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
The guy my uncle got was one of Tampas "MOST WANTED" Dirt bags...
That's great!!

Now let's just hope the local criminal justice system does its part and doesn't screw up.

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Iowa just became a CCW state,Time to take the class and be a well armed crime stopping citizen!
Alright! Another state grows some common sense.

- Eric