The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Timing chain replacement Toyota RAV4?

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2021, 07:41 AM

Timing chain replacement Toyota RAV4?

Oldest stepdaughters boyfriend owns a 2011 RAV4. It has developed the typical timing chain rattle. What’s involved in repairing it? From what little research I have done, it appears one or both of the tensioners has failed?

Personally, I’d rather undergo a prostate exam with Captain Hook, in a ice cold exam room, during a earthquake than mess with this import crap. I give him a bunch of crap for parking it in my driveway, I certainly don’t want it in my garage!! Unfortunately, they are college kids, and would have a hard time rubbing 2 dimes together.

I have ZERO desire to mess with this, but as I mentioned, looks like I might have to. I’d just like some idea of what I’m getting into. Is this something that can be done in a home garage?
Old August 10th, 2021, 07:50 AM

I've never messed with a Toyota but I did cam tensioners and a timing chain on the 5.4l Triton engine that was in the 2003 Ford F150 I used to own. I was able to do that in my home garage but I had to buy special tools to reinstall the timing chain correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if special tools are required for the timing belt on his Toyota.
Old August 10th, 2021, 08:21 AM
Bfg

Good candidate for a LS conversion
Old August 10th, 2021, 08:27 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Matt, I don't have experience with the Toyota product but have replaced the timing belt on a 2008 Hyundai 2.7L. For me, I first purchased the Haynes manual for the vehicle and then Googled for online videos of the job at hand. I also joined the Hyundai forum where I found the most helpful information and like here the most helpful people.
Old August 10th, 2021, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bfg

Been waiting for a opportunity to use this one!!! As I mentioned, money is always a concern. No way in hell would a LS swap be cheaper to fix. And even if it was, the old “you can’t polish a turd” comes to mind.
Old August 10th, 2021, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bfg
Won't fit.
Old August 10th, 2021, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Oldest stepdaughters boyfriend owns a 2011 RAV4. It has developed the typical timing chain rattle. What’s involved in repairing it? From what little research I have done, it appears one or both of the tensioners has failed?

Personally, I’d rather undergo a prostate exam with Captain Hook, in a ice cold exam room, during a earthquake than mess with this import crap. I give him a bunch of crap for parking it in my driveway, I certainly don’t want it in my garage!! Unfortunately, they are college kids, and would have a hard time rubbing 2 dimes together.

I have ZERO desire to mess with this, but as I mentioned, looks like I might have to. I’d just like some idea of what I’m getting into. Is this something that can be done in a home garage?
The good news is that Toyota engines come apart fairly easily. The bad news is there is no room at all. Clearance will be your main issue. I'm guessing that's a 1AR or something like that. I may be able to pull service docs for you when I'm at my desk. I'll try.

Off the top of my head, airbox for clearance, water pump and associated mess, lots of form in place gasket and I THINK you can replace the tensioners without getting into the ends of the heads. I'll look tomorrow. Remind me if I forget.
Old August 11th, 2021, 03:03 AM

I assumed the RAV4 had the engine positioned longways (the way God intended for engines to be installed &#128527. I didn’t know the engine was mounted sideways. Like I said, I have never messed with one of those, never even been in the car.

If the timing chain was accessible from the front, I MIGHT consider trying it. As much as I’d like to help him out (other than his choice of vehicles, he is a good kid) that’s something I think I’ll pass on.
Old August 11th, 2021, 05:20 AM

If the engine is transverse mounted you'll almost certainly have to drop the subframe and lower the engine to pull the timing chain cover.
Old August 11th, 2021, 07:58 AM

While I hsvent seen the truck to look under the hood, everyone I have talked with tells me the engine is in fact transverse mounted. I had assumed the engine was longitudinal, and with a traditional transmission snd transfer case. Doesn’t appear to be that way.
Old August 11th, 2021, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
While I hsvent seen the truck to look under the hood, everyone I have talked with tells me the engine is in fact transverse mounted. I had assumed the engine was longitudinal, and with a traditional transmission snd transfer case. Doesn’t appear to be that way.
It's transverse mounted. In case anyone cares, the Corolla and the RAV4 were the same platform then, MC platform. Transverse 4 banger, probably a 6 speed transaxle and the Toyota style on demand AWD transfer case, if it actually is an AWD car.
Old August 11th, 2021, 10:08 AM

Here's some illustrations.

From what I gather, it CAN be done in car, but involves loosening the engine mounts to wiggle it up and down. The Rav 4 platform doesn't really have a full sub frame, it's got one in the back and the rear mount is on it, the front mount is on the core support, and the side mounts are on the fenders. I think there's some stiffener connectors that can be removed, been a long time since I have looked at this car on a chassis line.
Old August 13th, 2021, 07:07 AM

Just curious, do you think that the bad tensioners are causing the noise of a loose chain? Is it a chain or belt? Tedd
Old August 13th, 2021, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Just curious, do you think that the bad tensioners are causing the noise of a loose chain? Is it a chain or belt? Tedd

All the research I have done shows a chain. Since it still runs (but is noisy) that suggests there is a bunch of slop in the chain causing it to rub.

Last edited by matt69olds; August 14th, 2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old August 13th, 2021, 09:42 PM

The drawings I posted clearly show a chain.