The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Some forum sites... T_T

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:45 AM

Some forum sites... T_T

Just wanted to express my thanks to all of the members of this site for how helpful and generally well-mannered everyone is. I never really noticed how chill it was here until i went to the third and fourth gen F-body forums. Its rediculous over there. Nobody is helpful, if you ask a question 80% of the time youre greeted with "thats just a completely idiotic idea, why do anything but build a 383?" or "use the search bar" and then when you use the search bar you find threads that are talking about EXACTLY what you want to find info on and as soon as you get into it theres no info at all, only a single reply to the original post saying "i wish people would learn to use the f***kin search bar!" its really aggrivating. And on top of it all you cant post a thread without it getting moved 3 different times while the mods play hot-potatoe with it trying to figure out where it fits best, and then when you try to make any respectful suggestions on where things should go or how things should be dealt with or even try to point out something to the mods that is obviously against board rules they get all puffy-chested and start sending you flags and warnings that, reading between the lines, are basically saying "i know how to do my job, keep your nose out of it or i'll delete your stupid ***". Its terrible. Nobodys there to help, they just want to tell everyone how wrong each other is about everything. I felt like the only one giving actual fact-based tips and pointers.

This was a real shock to me because anyone who has been a member of this site for even any short period of time knows how helpful and respectful everyone is here. Sure arguments rise up here and there but its not just people bashing each other for no reason at all. And the mods arent on power trips here, theyre just part of the gang and very helpful as well. And i love how brand-loyalty isnt the #1 thing in the universe here. Sure we all love Olds but most people will admit LS cars are fun, and Buicks are fun, and Mopars are fun, etc even if our preferance is old. F-body guys? Not a chance. "build a 383 or it'll be a complete waste of money".

So again, i say thank you to the members of this site for making it such a good environment to work with. Ive been focusing on my newly aquired 88' 350 Iroc recently which is what drew me to those boards but im seriously considering deleting all of my F-body accounts because im going to need blood pressure meds before my 30th birthday at this rate haha. Thank you guys! Keep it up!
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Vega
I never really noticed how chill it was here until i went to the third and fourth gen F-body forums.
That's because F-bodies suck.

Heh heh heh heh. Heh.

- Eric
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:09 AM

I bought a 1990 Camaro new. T-roofs, 5 speed. I really liked that car. I drove the wheels off it. Sold it and bought a Vette. Still have the vette.
I like this site too. I have learned so much about oldsmobiles
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:10 AM

X2 op
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:23 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

That's why I use this forum (and other friendly ones) and don't bother with some anymore.

Roger.
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks for bringing that up Vega. I've only been a member here for less than a year, but have been astonished at how quickly I get responses and how most are legit attempts to truly help out. I've aways had pretty **** poor experiences on forums, and this site is totally an exception. I look on here once a day, just because there is so much information being freely handed out and shared. I do still learn something new almost everytime I log on. I know.....quit being so damn mushy!!! But really,..X2 on the thanks to the moderators and everyone else...
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:43 AM
Oldsdruid

383? Ain't that a Mopar engine? HAHAHAHAHA!

I've had a pile of Pontiac F-bodies and all but one had a true Pontiac V8. The 84 T/A had a 305 HO which in all honesty, did not impress me much. Maybe that's why that crowd is so big on that stroker.
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator

It's because we have no lives! We are just here for you!
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:13 AM

I'm on about 100 forums, and I really enjoy hanging out over here. Plus I'd love to have and Olds someday.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:41 AM

This site is the exception to the auto forums. I am a member at rancherousa and we have three guys on the site that hijack threads make post just to see their post numbers go up. They have drove many members off the site and it suffers because of them. One of them trys to help out at times the other two just hijack threads and folks looking for help are treated like morons. Thanks for being here for all us.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:49 AM

CO forums

x2 on Vega's comments. This site is a wealth of info. If a topic has not been discussed before, people are more than willing to answer and share knowledge and/or parts to address it. It really makes keeping these old buckets of iron running that much more enjoyable.

Thanks to all
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Can you feel the love?
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It's because we have no lives! We are just here for you!
HAHAHA.. i love this place. Ever since i joined here, i have been doing my own work!
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Let's see. I need to add another post to get to 500 someday. So here it is! This is the best site that I have ever been on. Even if something is not to taste, you still get help. I have had a wealth of information on Olds learned here in the last 4? years. Yes, very friendly and helpfull. Not all the arguments etc. like other sites.
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:01 PM
car guy

383? what a waste.... build a 408

just another slow street car
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by dster69442
Can you feel the love?
Not while I'm at work, or it'll be an EEO issue.

- Eric
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks Vega, and you're welcome. I really enjoy the helpful nature of this site too. Really enjoyed your posts and exchanges. Hang out with us more often....
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Oldsdruid

Couple nights ago one of the other Olds boards had a questionable post that rapidly became "polarized" for lack of a better word. One of the mods handled it decently. The other (owner of the site) swooped down from on high with some "banhammer of the gods" mess and banned the OP, and then seemed to gloat about it. He does that fairly often and it just does not sit well with me.

I sent the decent mod a PM last night telling him that after ten years participation I was done with that forum and to vaporise any trace I had ever been on it. Harsh response on my part? maybe, not that my presence there makes an iota of difference, but it's telling that a lot of the more knowledgeable members there have left and they will name the site owner as the reason. The kid that got banned is pretty sharp and fearless when it comes to troubleshooting and making repairs- he'd tackle about any job.

But, say something over there the owner doesn't like and you're gone.

After a couple of my own run-ins with him, my sig line said "I know absolutely nothing about Oldsmobiles".

Yes, we do have it good here.
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:29 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Couple nights ago one of the other Olds boards had a questionable post that rapidly became "polarized" for lack of a better word. One of the mods handled it decently. The other (owner of the site) swooped down from on high with some "banhammer of the gods" mess and banned the OP, and then seemed to gloat about it. He does that fairly often and it just does not sit well with me.

I sent the decent mod a PM last night telling him that after ten years participation I was done with that forum and to vaporise any trace I had ever been on it. Harsh response on my part? maybe, not that my presence there makes an iota of difference, but it's telling that a lot of the more knowledgeable members there have left and they will name the site owner as the reason. The kid that got banned is pretty sharp and fearless when it comes to troubleshooting and making repairs- he'd tackle about any job.

But, say something over there the owner doesn't like and you're gone.

After a couple of my own run-ins with him, my sig line said "I know absolutely nothing about Oldsmobiles".

Yes, we do have it good here.
Good post!.
I agree with a lot of posts on here, disagree with others, and have no particular view on yet more.

But the admin and mods give us free reign to express our opinions, stepping in if posts start getting out of order such as posters abusing each other or getting too off topic.

As long as we observe common sense and courtesy we can all exchange information, express our views and help each other learn more about our cars, which surely is what this site is all about.

Roger.
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:04 AM

I agree 100%, everyone here has been awesome in the advice & many other areas. The pushy post hijacking guys that u speak of are the ones who never had a title in thier life & who have really small pistons. LOL....They need power & control, something i gave up long ago & started living....Have a great day...
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Administrator

OMG - there are other Olds sites??

I've found, although we all may differ in opinion, for the most part we keep it civil and enjoyable. There have been a few additional forums added to ensure that we evolve and attract an even wider audience. For that I applaud the moderators!
Old May 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Randy C.

I completely concur that this site is the best Olds technical discussion site around today and in the last several years. I could not have put my '68 together, with the completelness and accuracy that I was able to accomplish, without the help and input from members of this site, and I am forever grateful. I've also found the technical discussion forum at the NCRS site to be just as top notch for Corvettes as this one is for Oldsmobiles. However, this is my most favorite site!

Randy C.
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:31 PM

Vega, I used to be a charter member over at fbody.com a LONG time ago. I too left because of the crap that goes on. If you have a question about that IROC just send me a PM...I've been known to work on a couple
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:23 PM

GROUP HUG! grouphug.gif
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:37 PM

I have lurked on a mustang forum too and they are also bad. I have noticed a great civility here; as most other fora use a lot more colorful language than we do. I like that people can express their opinion without being called a "***", which seems to be commonplace on many other fora.

I think it has a lot to do with the age of the users. I think the f-body and mustang crowds are generally a younger demographic than a lot of the olds guys. They haven't been around long enough to know what they don't know, but amongst their geeky friends they are the "car guy" and feel thusly empowered.

I also dislike the "just build a 383" attitude which seems to be the only solution to fix anything wrong with any other engine ever. When someone responds to a question without an answer but instead with an insult, that just suggests ignorance to me. If you know so much more than everyone else, why not prove it. It takes the same amount of energy as being a dick, and we all benefit.
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:29 PM

I agree this site is user friendly,i've left other sites not to go back because some of the attitudes from some users well lets just call them Keyboard Tuff Guy's,who have the i'm better than you demeaner.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Alright no complaint let make sure we keep it that way.