The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to Olds forum's. Need some 87 Cutlass Salon parts

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM

New to Olds forum's. Need some 87 Cutlass Salon parts

Hi my name is Melissa, I have owned two Oldsmobile Cutlass. I currently have a 1987 Cutlass Salon,it has the 231 v-6, a turbo350 trani which i had to switch from the original metric. This car is pretty well maintained except for the somewhat minor rust thanks to New York winters and previous owners. I am the proud 3rd owner of this car. I purchased it last year around May with 67k original miles. I am planning to have this car for the rest of my life. I am having trouble with finding parts for this car. All I can seem to find is for 72 and earlier models. I'm looking for various things such as power seat rails, t top seals, trim clips for the doors, emblems, door skins, and a trunk lid. When I switched the transmission to the t350 the detent cable end is way differnt than the 200. Is there an addapter for this? or does anyone know how to get it to work? Thanks guys.
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Melissa, I think you will like it here. Changing to the TH350 was probably a good move. You should be able to find G body parts although I agree that the early 70s stuff is pretty popular right now. We have numerous members with experience in the newer Olds stuff (Post 70's) so I am sure you will get an answer soon.
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:36 AM

I think you have to take the cable off the 200 and put it on the 350 to make it work, but I never done that switch so not for sure, but I did here that's what you have to do. Body panels you buy used from a junk yard or parts car. T top seals call a place that installs car windows they should be able to get the seals
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

You need to meet Sandy Cutlasgal.

She's around here somewhere

Arf arf Sandy????
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
I think you have to take the cable off the 200 and put it on the 350 to make it work, but I never done that switch so not for sure, but I did here that's what you have to do. Body panels you buy used from a junk yard or parts car. T top seals call a place that installs car windows they should be able to get the seals
I was thinking about that, guess it couldn't hurt to try it. thanks for the info on the seals I was looking at Ebay but Im not the most computer savvy person. Thank You All for the info and welcome's. Glad to be a part this.
Old November 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard

You need to meet Sandy Cutlasgal.

She's around here somewhere

Arf arf Sandy????

Razzlefrazzlerazzlefrazzle.... Woof Woof massa boss!! *approaches cautiously with tail wagging* you called??? *is silently snarling to self* Gonna throw me a biscuit, or one of them blackened shrimp? *is drooling - sees bear and gorillas feasting on grits and shrimp* What's up?? *is getting upset seeing bear and gorillas washing down said grits and shrimp with adult beverages containing vodka* Oh, you want me to meet the new person? *is silently wishing to be male right now so leg could be hiked and bladder relieved on pants of said moderator*

Just kidding!!! Love you Jamesbo!! xoxoxo
Old November 6th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our forum! As you can tell, we have a lot of fun here, and occasionally we even talk about cars! These guys are the best and will be glad to help! I don't know a whole lot about cars, but I am being 'learned real good' by my guys here, and in exchange, I bring a smile to their hearts.... or a pain to their rear... or both! LOL! Life's too short not to laugh!!
Old November 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM

I think the best bet to find G body parts is to look in junk yards. Not many repro parts are made for them and when they are available, they are expensive. Not sure if the t-top seals are still available from GM, but I know some companies are making them, but not sure who.

Another good way to find parts is by looking on forums, including this one. Look in the for sale ads or post a wanted ad.

A couple other good forums are,

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/index.php
http://gbodyforum.com/
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Welcome to our forum! As you can tell, we have a lot of fun here, and occasionally we even talk about cars! These guys are the best and will be glad to help! I don't know a whole lot about cars, but I am being 'learned real good' by my guys here, and in exchange, I bring a smile to their hearts.... or a pain to their rear... or both! LOL! Life's too short not to laugh!!
Thanks, glad to hear from you, I can see this place is alot of fun and very informative.

and dan2286 thanks for the tip, I have been looking at junk yards and so far everything there is worse off than mine, Thank you New York State!!!
and the salt!!
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lovin87olds
Thanks, glad to hear from you, I can see this place is alot of fun and very informative.

and dan2286 thanks for the tip, I have been looking at junk yards and so far everything there is worse off than mine, Thank you New York State!!!
and the salt!!
We go through the same problem in Ohio Luckily, there are some junkyards that get there parts from the south where rust does not exist Of course, you pay the price for those rust free parts. I started off with an 86, but the rust that it did have was more than I wanted to deal with, so I ended up buying a rust free shell from a member on Oldspower. Of course I had to drive to South Carolina to get it.
Old November 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Dan maybe try Louisville pull a part has several 80's cutlass most them have little to no rust. It really makes me mad to know that they are going to get crushed because some lazy *** sells them to junk because they don't wont to fix them or don't want to sell them to someone who would like to.
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM

HI Melissa,Welcome to the site.
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by dan2286
We go through the same problem in Ohio Luckily, there are some junkyards that get there parts from the south where rust does not exist Of course, you pay the price for those rust free parts. I started off with an 86, but the rust that it did have was more than I wanted to deal with, so I ended up buying a rust free shell from a member on Oldspower. Of course I had to drive to South Carolina to get it.
Funny you say that, my first car was a 1984 Cutlass Calia. It had wayyyyyy more rust than i could handle and alot more miles on it. I sold it to a friend for $200 and he turned it into a drag car, its better off now and it makes me really happy I sold it to someone instead of junking it. They dont make alot of these parts anymore and I wish people would realize that and go on a site like this or craigslist or whatever and just say "Hey I have this car it'd be good for some parts". I know for a fact I would pay them a little more than junk prices for it if I could salvage a handfull of parts.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Some Pictures

Hopefully this works and the pictures are on here lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1023091321.jpg (57.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00650.jpg (82.8 KB, 6 views)
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lovin87olds
Funny you say that, my first car was a 1984 Cutlass Calia. It had wayyyyyy more rust than i could handle and alot more miles on it. I sold it to a friend for $200 and he turned it into a drag car, its better off now and it makes me really happy I sold it to someone instead of junking it. They dont make alot of these parts anymore and I wish people would realize that and go on a site like this or craigslist or whatever and just say "Hey I have this car it'd be good for some parts". I know for a fact I would pay them a little more than junk prices for it if I could salvage a handfull of parts.
I ended up selling mine when I got the '84. It is the one in my sig, doesn't look that bad but it was starting to rot from the bottom up. I sold it to a guy for $175 to use for the frame. As far as I know, he was trying to sell the body but don't know if it ever got sold or scrapped.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Wink I couldn't sell this one.

Hmm, kinda sad, brings a tear to my eye. I have had sooo many offers for my 87, this past summer I had one of my friends (who loves him some Cutlass's) offer me his 1964 F-85 which either he put in the 455 or came with it(I do not know that) but, he offered me that car and $1,000. About 4 months after that I had some random dude offer me his 90 Camaro I-Roc with a 305 from Florida (NO THANKS!! lol) Right before i put it up i had some 20 year old offer me $3,000 cash on the spot, I told him "no" a good four times before he shut up and walked away. I know my car isn't worth that much (I think anyway) but as I've told many people this is my car and it has become and extension of me and i will never sell....
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:18 AM

They only made 455 68-76 the F-85 had a 330 that someone switched. I like your car but there are a lot of guys that might be talking to you about your car just to get your number. I'm guessing you don't look anything like your avatar.