The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Sad sight to see...

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2011, 12:34 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Sad sight to see...

Here is a truly sad sight to see. The Fisher Body Plant 21 in Detroit.

Old June 9th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... in what's LEFT of Detroit .

- Eric
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:09 PM
GM Enthusiast

Would have loved to see it in its glory days. Anyone have any pictures of the plant back then?
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:16 AM

I would like to see even more pics of it NOW, before it is razed and turned into apartments...
Even better I would like to go see it in person.
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I would like to see even more pics of it NOW, before it is razed and turned into apartments...
Even better I would like to go see it in person.
I don't think it's going to be apartments, it's not in a very nice part of the city:

Fisher_Body_plant_21.jpg

Go here http://photo.photojpl.com/tour/fishe...ody-plant.html for a panoramic view of the outside of the building.

I've heard that it might get turned into a data farm but will believe that when I see it.

You should stop by and see it when you come to pick up that Vista Cruiser. The address is 700 Piquette Avenue Detroit Michigan.
Old June 11th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Nothing is being turned into apartments in Detroit.

They're demolishing perfectly good houses because nobody wants to live in them, and because they attract a bad element, and they're planting crops on the lots.

The Chinese will turn it around, though, when they take over in 50 years...

- Eric
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:24 AM

What a crying shame! The General really screwed Oldsmobile & Pontiac - to heck with Saturn, that was a SNAFU from the get-go! Loved the lovely paintings/sayings/thoughts(?) on the lower walls of Plant 21. Very intelligent human beings. Would be adverse to driving through there in an Abrams battlefield tank.
Old June 12th, 2011, 05:12 AM

Wow - sad to see it is that bad there. From the looks of the graffiti in such high places, it looks to be even worse than dallas! Never woulda thought.
Not sure if i wish to visit there now, esp if I am driving the Olds!
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Certifiable car addict...

I've headed up to the "D" at least once a year for the last 5 years for CCHA hockey games. The first year we went, I-75 through downtown was so bad, it was closed, and you were routed off onto surface streets.

In the trips following that, I have noticed improvement pretty much each year. Better roads, more shops/bars opening back up downtown, etc. I've been saddened to see all the vacant buildings, homes and factories. It did not look like a city in the U.S. of A. It's making a valiant attempt at a comeback. There's lots of people there willing to work, and want to revitalize this city, but until the economy bounces back more, it's going to take a while.

In the meantime, I'm trying to help by making my yearly pilgrimage for some championship hockey, and spending a few more bucks than I normally would, especially in "local" bars, businesses, and restaurants. None of the big chains appeal to me anyhow.

If you are ever there, make sure to visit the GM renaissance plaza, hockeytown cafe, and Greektown. See a show at the Fox theater! Take a ride on the people mover for a fun tour of downtown. As long as there's fun events going on downtown, I've walked around there quite a bit in the daylight and at night, and had no problems, and at no time did I not feel safe, or out of my comfort zone. Mind you, I kept to well-lit public areas. No sense being dumb about things.

I've always come home with good memories about some part of my trips there.

-Jeff