The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Rebuilt Title

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2023, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Rebuilt Title

Hi everyone.

Yes I'm trying to get away with something here. I'm considering buying a car that has a rebuilt title. Not a terrific idea, but it's a 96 and at this point I wonder if it matters much.

My question is, will the rebuilt status follow the car? It is in Alabama and I'm in Georgia. Not sure how long Alabama titles are maintained but in Georgia a car doesn't need one after 25 years. If I register the car with a Bill of Sale only, can I bypass the physical title with the stamp on it, or is the status recorded somewhere and will show up when running the VIN? If I can escape the title, will the insurance industry maintain this information across state lines?

Thanks everyone.

Old March 22nd, 2023, 07:13 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Why do you ask?

Subsequent buyers are entitled to know the title status of the vehicle they're purchasing.
Old March 22nd, 2023, 07:32 PM
Banned

It really depends on the state. I would look up the information in your state. State's that don't use titles just seem odd to me.
Old March 23rd, 2023, 05:49 AM

^^^THIS^^^

I've heard that classic car owners can title a car easily through Vermont. That being said, I think if a potential buyer does a check they can find out that the car has a rebuilt or lost title.
Old March 23rd, 2023, 06:51 AM

Not sure what a rebuilt title is, is that the same as a salvage title? If it is, I bought one , and I live in Cal, and I would not do it again, it was a PITB. Dealing with the DMV, insurance co, and then selling it, has a limit number of people interested. Not sure about all states, but in Cal, any claim that had a complete loss pay out,gets a salvage title, like a stolen car, not just a wreck.
Old March 23rd, 2023, 07:02 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Here's where you're going to run into an issue in Georgia:
To obtain a rebuilt title:
  • Be a Licensed Rebuilder – Anyone who purchases a salvage or wrecked vehicle for the purpose of restoring or rebuilding must be licensed as a rebuilder.
Titles for Rebuilt or Restored Vehicles

Old March 23rd, 2023, 08:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

For most cars, a rebuilt or salvage title usually means that the car was totaled at one point, bought back from the insurance company, and repaired. Most insurance companies won't cover full value of the car under these conditions, since they've already paid for it once. How each company evaluates the quality of the repair work is up to that company, but don't expect an insurance company to do you any favors.
Old March 23rd, 2023, 08:06 AM
Always room for one more

Hm thanks guys. The point is moot now because the car I was considering has sold.

Apparently the car in question had already gone through the rebuild process because it already had a rebuilt title. My concern was mainly with some insurance company having a problem with it being wrecked and then put back on the street. I would have no problem telling a subsequent buyer what I knew about it, I just didn't want to pay out a bunch of extra money due to terminology. My insurance company gets too much of my money as it is.

Old March 23rd, 2023, 09:13 AM

Mike, I think Montana is where all the Superperformance guys title their new GT 40 and Super Snakes
Old March 23rd, 2023, 11:27 AM

What car were you considering buying with a rebuilt title? Was it an Oldsmobile? The only car from 96 I might consider buying with a questionable title would be a Chevy Impala SS. Or a parts car if it was cheap enough.
Old March 23rd, 2023, 02:24 PM

It's a lot of hassle to not buy things with clear titles, and I consider salvage titles to not be clear.
Old March 23rd, 2023, 03:04 PM
Always room for one more

It was indeed an Impala SS. I want to buy one and plan on keeping it long term, but I labored over the title thing too long and it sold.
Old March 23rd, 2023, 04:18 PM
Banned

Probably a good call in my opinion. One thing if it is a 500 dollar beater.
Old March 23rd, 2023, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat

…..If I can escape the title, will the insurance industry maintain this information across state lines?
Yes, the insurance industry maintains an interstate database containing this type of information.

For future reference, status designations on titles such as flood, salvage, rebuilt, etc. are called placards.
Old March 24th, 2023, 01:01 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by Tri-Carb
For future reference, status designations on titles such as flood, salvage, rebuilt, etc. are called placards.
Really, I've always heard of it as a branded title. As in, red hot ornament on the end of a stick you jam onto a cow's ***. That kind of brand.

Old March 24th, 2023, 03:10 AM

Yes—it is a branded title. It is branded with placards. Branded is the technical term used to notify others that a title is not clean. Placards define the particular reason a title is not clean. I suppose the terminology could vary somewhat among states.

This discussion is more important than just noodling semantics. The header for the thread is "Rebuilt Title". I started out thinking it was about reconstructed paperwork involving an auto title. In fact, it is about a reconstructed vehicle with a branded title containing the placard of "rebuilt".

Last edited by Tri-Carb; March 24th, 2023 at 04:34 AM. Reason: elaboration
Old March 24th, 2023, 07:08 AM

Was the Impala black? Dark Cherry Metallic or Dark Gray Green would be the bee's knees. I've never seen a Dark Gray Green Impala SS in person.

I think it was fortuitous it sold before you could get a chance to buy it. The search continues.👍
Old March 24th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Always room for one more

It was black. I had a green 96 in late 96, but I had to sell it when I moved. I guess I should have kept it. It's tough finding a decent car, tougher than I thought it would be. They either have big hooptie wheels or the interior has been hacked up, or beat to death. At least this rebuilt car the guy said he drove it every day.

Old March 24th, 2023, 04:43 PM
Banned

Of course he drove it everyday. You dodged a silver bullet not buying that car. There is absolutely no telling why that car was a scrub title. Could have been so many things. Could have been feet under water. Could have been hit by a train. Could have been who knows what. You can buy it cheap for a reason. Then you go to sell it and you are screwed. I have heard that many insurance companies won't even insure them.
Be patient for a legit car.
Old March 24th, 2023, 05:12 PM
Always room for one more

Oh I know why it was a rebuilt title. It was wrecked. Had a Caprice hood, both drivers side Caprice doors, most likely a fender and bumper cover. Had to have happened awhile ago, all the paint faded and looked the same. Had a different motor and trans as well. I doubt that was part of the wreck the car had 318K miles on it.

Old March 24th, 2023, 06:57 PM

Looks like it's still for sale Mike

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...593143934.html
Old March 24th, 2023, 08:16 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Nope, that one says it has a clean title.
Old March 25th, 2023, 09:28 AM

The one Otto posted has over 150k miles on it. I guess that's better than over 300k. If you found an impala SS with less than 100k miles it'd be a Mecum show stopper and wouldn't be listed on CL.
Old March 25th, 2023, 11:07 AM
Always room for one more

Keith I'd rather have a green one over a black one, but I wouldn't throw a black one out of bed for eating crackers. That one is pretty but those cars just aren't worth 20K to me. How much fun would it be to buy a car out west and drive home to Georgia.

Old March 25th, 2023, 12:20 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by slantflat
Keith I'd rather have a green one over a black one, but I wouldn't throw a black one out of bed for eating crackers. That one is pretty but those cars just aren't worth 20K to me. How much fun would it be to buy a car out west and drive home to Georgia.
I know Mike! driving back with a permanent smile plastered on your face. I have dreamed of doing something like that. I know its a bunch of money but... It looks like it has had some nice new goodies addressed, replaced, sharp, and it does have the no rust basically 1 owner factor.
You would still have a vehicle you should be able to fetch a pretty good chunk of your money back after enjoying it for as long as you want to. Maybe the person will bite on an offer you are comfortable with since it has been posted for sometime now.
Either way, fun to consider
Take good carehttps://www.jdpower.com/cars/1995/ch...s/4-door-sedan

Keith

Last edited by otto72; March 25th, 2023 at 12:30 PM.