The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Problem with Lice

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Problem with Lice

My little girl has had lice for a few months. We treat her hair wash everything in the house. We would check your hair couldn't found anything. Then a few weeks later their would be more lice. We than repeated the process, plus cut her hair short. This makes about the fourth time know. The only thing I haven't done is shave her head and burn everything, and don't wont to do that. Any good ideas. I've double damn had it with the lice.
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Up here in Canada we have had a few problems with head lice and we were told that if we put all of the kids toys in plastic bags,seal them and put them in the chest freezer for a day or over night.
We were told that the bugs are in the fallen leaves on the ground and when the kids play in them they attach to the hair sorta like ticks.
We do the same thing as you are,wash their hair with lice killing shampoo and use a fine comb,go through their hair every night looking for egg sacks.Once we have a killer frost then things slow right down in the bug department,till next year and then we go through it again.
Hope this helps you out and good luck.
Steve
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:29 AM
olds..older..oldest

hair varmints

Had the same problem with my kids in grade school! Lottsa reasons for your "troubles" Firstly, she can be re-infected by contact with any kids whose parents didn't treat there kids properly,or at all. Secondly, there is resistance to some over-the-counter lice remedies. Thirdly,you have to retreat your child in 5-7 days as the "nits" [eggs] are harder to kill than the female louse. We use " Kwellada", or " R&C Shampoo up here, but you may need to get a presription product containing Lindane. They are more sensitive to HEAT than cold, so throw stuff in the dryer on "Hot" for an hour. Good luck !
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM

What the doc said !
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

God, I remember those days!! My daughter kept getting it from day care. I would go through the whole routine at home too... lug everything to the laundromat ( I didn't have a washer and dryer at home) put the toys and stuffed animals in garbage bags after spraying them with that nasty spray and sealed them up tight for a month or so... just to be sure.
She'd sit for HOURS while I would pick through her hair, and I'd rinse that little comb thing in bleach. Day care would call me at work if they found an egg... I told them maybe they weren't doing their job very well with cleaning around there. I called the Health Dept., God I was soooo mad!!

Being a single mother at the time, that shampoo and spray was so expensive - seems like I was buying it every week!!! I would take her to day care with a clean head, and sure as hell, there would be something in there when I checked her at night. I think the lice got immune to the shampoo, we used so much of it! They seemed to love her hair. Good luck to you! I know it's very aggrivating!
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Registered

My farm kid nephews got them from the chickens I guess?

My one kid was through those and ringworm until the daycare got their act together and started clamping down on people. We did our part but if the daycare or school and their classmate's parents don't do anything about the problem or treat it lightly it's almost useless as said.

It's like dogs and fleas, they are the worst pain to get rid of and they infest everybody and everything. I never let any dogs near mine or in my house and my yard is totally fenced in so no flea-bitten doggie visitors, no dog parks ever.
I have three pooches and they keep each other company.

I know Bounce fabric softener sheets keep lice away from cars in storage, or is it mice??
Old November 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Cutlass Lover

Old November 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM

a large jar of mayonaise is your friend.mayo suffocates them and there eggs, lather the head with a nice thick coating of mayo,wrap with saran wrap and sleep on it. works like a charm..my older daughter had lice way too many times to count(from swapping hair accesorys with friends), a portable steamer will kill the eggs and live ones on the furrniture and other stuff you cant wash.good luck!!
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM

here is the site we got our info from...

http://www.headliceinfo.com/faqs.htm
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:42 PM

Lamp oil will kill the lice and the eggs.
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:51 AM

I would like to thank everyone I think I've tried everything but the lamp oil. Leadfoot067 I'm going to watch the video on the link later today I hope It has something I can use. I didn't even thank about her building a resistance to the treatments, but it makes since. I tried mayonaise couple of times. I think see getting them from kids at church. My church does a lot of things to help lower income families. You will see kids their that the parents don't take care of them. I have seen kids with lice their bad enough you could see the lice jumping on their head. I've pulled her out of her Sunday school class. Than if I have to work on Sunday my wife lets her go and the cycle starts again.
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:03 AM

In the south in the summer we used to use this stuff.

No chiggers
No lice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
base_media.jpg (2.0 KB, 22 views)