The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Please Pray for my dad

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2014 | 02:59 PM

Please Pray for my dad

My dad don't want anyone to know but I need to tell someone... Nobody here knows him so what the heck. He had planned to retire very soon. He decided to get a major checkup at the doctor and have everything checked out that could be checked. He wanted it done while still on the companys insurance. They found an Aneurysm of the Aorta near the heart and is a real bad one. They said if it goes he will be gone in less than 30 seconds. They had a stress test scheduled but had to cancel it because they said it would have likely killed him. They are fast tracking him to surgery but it is not scheduled yet. Outside of that they give him a great report so I just hope they can fix it. They said this is much more serious than a blockage.

Thanks guys,
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
My dad don't want anyone to know but I need to tell someone... Nobody here knows him so what the heck. He had planned to retire very soon. He decided to get a major checkup at the doctor and have everything checked out that could be checked. He wanted it done while still on the companys insurance. They found an Aneurysm of the Aorta near the heart and is a real bad one. They said if it goes he will be gone in less than 30 seconds. They had a stress test scheduled but had to cancel it because they said it would have likely killed him. They are fast tracking him to surgery but it is not scheduled yet. Outside of that they give him a great report so I just hope they can fix it. They said this is much more serious than a blockage.

Thanks guys,
Thoughts are with you Eric.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:10 PM

I'll keep him in my prayers Eric. Please update us when he gets the surgery scheduled.

John
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:12 PM
major noob

Will do hope he gets better and they get that taken care of keeping you in my thoughts
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:15 PM

Positive thoughts for your Dad. Keep us posted.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:24 PM
Hookers under Hood

So sorry to hear of the news, our thoughts and prayers are with him and your family. Spend as much time as possible with him. Wish you all best in your difficult times.

Eric & Christine
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:25 PM

Prayers sent
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:29 PM
Administrator

Hope all turns out well.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:36 PM

Get well soon

Prayers sent for your Dad, you & your loved ones.

Dave
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:38 PM

Praying for him and the family.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:52 PM

May I ask, how old is your father?

Our thoughts are with him and you.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 03:57 PM

From: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Prayers for your Father ..I'm on it .I have some connections.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 04:11 PM

Prayers sent, good they caught it.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 04:15 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Hope all returns to being well again..you and your father are in our thoughts...

Last edited by sammy; March 7th, 2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old March 7th, 2014 | 04:22 PM

Prayers for your Dad, God Bless you and your family-

Dave
Old March 7th, 2014 | 04:34 PM

Prayers and best wishes for your dad.

I know a little about this issue and am curious if you know the size of the aneurysm? Surgery typically kicks in when it goes beyond 5 cm. Also does your dad have a bicuspid aortic valve? Is the plan of action to remove the damaged section of aorta and replace it with a section of Dacron tubing? As your dad has likely been told, he should not lift anything greater than 50 lbs and that will likely remain a permanent restriction for him following surgery.

Also, check out his surgeon and get a second opinion if you have any concerns.

Brian
Old March 7th, 2014 | 04:39 PM

He is 61 and in great health otherwise. We were just hiking a 4 mile section of the appalachian trail just over a year ago. I am glad nothing happened there because we took a wrong turn and ended up having to climb up the mountain about a mile. We were huffing and puffing pretty hard.

Thanks for all the prayers
Old March 7th, 2014 | 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C

I know a little about this issue and am curious if you know the size of the aneurysm? Surgery typically kicks in when it goes beyond 5 cm. Also does your dad have a bicuspid aortic valve? Is the plan of action to remove the damaged section of aorta and replace it with a section of Dacron tubing? As your dad has likely been told, he should not lift anything greater than 50 lbs and that will likely remain a permanent restriction for him following surgery.

Brian
I know very little. It was just descovered 2 days ago and they are getting the surgery as soon as they can from what I understand.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 04:48 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Sorry to hear about your dad, my prayers are with him and your family.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I know very little. It was just descovered 2 days ago and they are getting the surgery as soon as they can from what I understand.
Eric,
I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances. During a scan, cancer was found on my Mother's lung. The surgeon where she lives wanted to schedule the surgery two weeks out. Once my sister found a surgeon in another state that would perform the surgery within a few days, the original surgeon decided to do it the next day. I lost a grandfather over a postponed surgery and if you can push them a bit to move the date forward you should. My prayers are with you and your father. - Steven
Old March 7th, 2014 | 05:06 PM

Good catch, all the best to your Dad and the rest of your family.

Mark
Old March 7th, 2014 | 05:20 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Prayers sent

Larry
Old March 7th, 2014 | 05:21 PM

Your Father and your family are in my thoughts Eric. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Brett
Old March 7th, 2014 | 05:36 PM

Done.

He'll be all right. Have him stay calm, enjoy what he likes at home, and think positively. The odds of this going before the surgery are low, and they can rebuild it with a chunk of gore-tex, I believe is what is used.

Lastly, have that done at Indy. Terre Haute hospitals suck. He can take sick time, and have it done right. I have a co-worker who had that and other stuff done, I can ask him for more info, if you wish. He had his stuff done at Riley, even though he was 30 at the time.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C

Brian
Just talked to him. They at first said 5 cm but after more testing they said 4.6. He is to see the surgeon on the 20th. I assume the surgery will be after that. They give him something to help lower blood pressure to keep pressure off of it. He has good blood pressure but they want it lower for now.

Last edited by jensenracing77; March 7th, 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 05:46 PM
Lansing built

I am sorry to hear that dad is having heart issues! At least they caught it before anything happened to him, at least you have a second chance with him. I am hoping for the best for your dad!!!

Pat
Old March 7th, 2014 | 05:54 PM
Old School Olds

Thoughts and prayers for
you and your family Eric.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 06:07 PM

My Father had a aortic aneurysm repaired in 1984 and he lived another 30 years (a year ago). Get it taken care of and he'll be fine but don't wait. Just so you know my fathers went from about 2 inches to the size of a egg plant in three months. Nothing to be trifled with. Gods speed, and I'm not relegious
Old March 7th, 2014 | 06:18 PM

Praying for your family Eric.
Old March 7th, 2014 | 06:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Prayers sent, but don't worry too much about this. These are fixable with good results, as George pointed out. He's likely had this for quite a while and it hasn't popped yet, and now that his blood pressure has been lowered and his activity is limited, it's got an even lower chance of dissecting. 4.6cm is a decent size, but it's not imminently dangerous, as evidenced by the fact that they didn't rush him straight to surgery.

Remember, in this day and age, doctors are terrified of being sued, so they have a hair trigger for big precautions, and when they "hang crepe," it's generally just to make sure that the patient takes their findings seriously and doesn't "misbehave" and cause a low-grade lurking problem to leap out.
All a doctor needs is one guy with an aortic aneurysm, who he's told to "take it easy", who goes ahead and enters a weightlifting competition and dies, and he will preach doom and gloom to every patient he ever has with that problem for the rest of his days.

- Eric
Old March 7th, 2014 | 07:12 PM

I worked in heart surgery for 16years hear in Texas and I helped do these surgeries many times. There are many good surgeons, new technologies and procedures. He is still young, 61 is not that old. If his health is good other wise as you say, then he should come through this with no problem. It will take the wind out of his sails for a short while but he will get his strength back and be a new man. I will say in my experience, some surgeons are better than others, so check around and find the best surgeon. It never hurt to get a second opinion, as this is serious. There seems to be a code of silence between some doctors, hospitals. The heart surgeon we have now where I work is a really nice guy..... but I wouldn't want him operating on me or my family. Just find a way to find the best docs, maybe the one hes going to is good I don't know and Im not trying to say hes a bad doc. Obviously I have no idea.
God bless your dad, I hope the best possible outcome for him!
Old March 7th, 2014 | 07:35 PM
NOVICE car nut

Prayers sent
Old March 7th, 2014 | 07:41 PM

Prayed are being sent and will continue.I just retired and I know how my kids would be reacting if this were me. I LOST my Dad when was 21. That was 38 years ago. Good Luck to all RIckhttp://classic olds.com
Old March 7th, 2014 | 09:35 PM

stand tall man, hes the only one you got, lost mine when i was 21, now 48
Old March 8th, 2014 | 02:22 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you.Nick
Old March 8th, 2014 | 02:29 AM

Old March 8th, 2014 | 02:45 AM

My prayers will include your dad and family.
Old March 8th, 2014 | 05:15 AM

Well, it is great they found it in time. I'm a big believer that anything with the heart, I'm heading to the Cleveland clinic. He'll do good being in decent shape. Good luck and I'll be praying for him. Ken
Old March 8th, 2014 | 08:49 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

Thoughts and prayers sent
Old March 8th, 2014 | 10:01 AM

Thoughts and prayers Eric. May your Dad have a full and fast recovery.

Quick Reply: Please Pray for my dad