The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Oldsmobile Club of Canada - National Meet - August

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2009, 08:25 AM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

hey Old'sies! anyone planning to head to London Ontario for the OCCs this year?!? ROLL CALL
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Wanted to go but the park where they are holding this event has a dozen different ways to enter.So I sent an email to the president of the club asking for more detailed directions to the park area, but he never responded.That was about a month and a half ago
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
wait.... what....

I will be there, and the actual park only has one entrance to it. In years past they put up signs once you are in the park to follow.
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
olds..older..oldest

OCC

Try these contacts: Jerry Dejaeger 1-519-666-1430 or dave.jordan@sympatico.ca or admin 1 @ oldsclub.ca I was going to attend,but it's my birthday,and the family wants me at the cottage in Muskoka! Besides,just sent out my Q-jet to Toronto for a rebuild. Hope someone gets some photos,and I will be ordering one of those shirts!...Derek
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:07 PM
wait.... what....

Here's a pic for ya. I am not positive where in the park for sure it will be held, but every other year it has been in the same spot.

BikeTrail-map1_2008.jpg?t=1248653211
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Shane's correct on this. The show is VERY EASY to find, and there is only the one entrance to Fanshawe park. It is off of Clarke Road, just north of Huron street.
Awesome map Shane!
It is only about ten to fifteen minutes off of the 401 Highway.
Easy to find.
Hope to see some of you there.
I'll probably be there pedaling some of my junk.
Duane
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Captain of my ship

Unhappy no

This was one that I wanted to take my car to this year but she will sadly not be done in time as it stands now. I am waiting for a new rad (OEM spec ) and working out other minor kinks before firing it back up. I didn't want to show it but did want to see some of the Olds from around that area and beyond i am sure. Hey Muskrat just where is "The Swamp" that you post as your local?
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the map and all of the directions.I will be there for sure.
Hey Duane you and I have met before I bought my SSII rims and tires from you. Anyway it was on map quest that they show all of the different ways into the park.Thanks again for clearing my confused head.
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:32 PM

I will be there to see the show but unfortunately I am not taking the Starfire.
Yesterday was my first time actually driving it on the road (the maiden voyage) and I would like to take a few more trips closer to home before I take her on the highway for any length of time. She did however run VERY nice on the road. Much better than I had anticipated.
My kids just thought it was the greatest thing in the world. They laughed the whole way home.
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:36 AM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

collect your friends & family, Derek .. head to London. The cottage will be there NEXT weekend. I can't tell you how many birthdays I've celebrated at Fanshawe, surrounded by the sweet stench of oil & petrol, the vision of all that carved metal - the Oldsmobiles are CALLING.

and for Wolfman98
The Swamp = Too Close To Toronto (to quote a dear character)

I'll be in London ... see you THERE!!
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:58 AM
olds..older..oldest

OCC and me

OK....the carb comes back,and I'll be there!! Heck,we may even get some sunshine that weekend,but if not,I'm sure you and the other Oldsies will warm things up!...Derek
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:10 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

*looks around* WOW! I didn't know I was THAT persuasive. Must be my birthday charm
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
olds..older..oldest

Muskrat Love

Originally Posted by Muskrat
*looks around* WOW! I didn't know I was THAT persuasive. Must be my birthday charm
Who can resist an invite from a Swamp Muskrat!? Really wanted to get down to the OCA meet but couldn't fit it in to my schedule,besides,I am a member of OCC but not OCA.This will be my best chance to meet some fellow Olds nuts and OC site members. Where is everybody staying,as I have yet to make any reservations?I'll be the guy looking lost standing by a red 69 442! ....later...Derek
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM
wait.... what....

I am staying at my house! lol i live like 10mins away from the show.
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

what was that, Oldzzy? you've invited us to your House?! that's nice! THANK YOU.
however, I will be staying on Dundas St. Old school charm. what's the host hotel this year?! anyone?
As someone suggested at the OCAs, perhaps we can add our CO handles to our window cards at OCC?!?
Rain or Shine, I'll be there ... riding TOPLESS!! u can do that legally in Ontario now, ya know!
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
olds..older..oldest

OCC

Yeah, what ever happened to old fashioned Canadian hospitality?! I kind of figured 69erman and Oldzzy were our local hosts and we just had to bring our own beer! Guess I'll play it by ear...if the beer starts flowing and the bugs aren't too bad,could always sleep in the car[wouldn't be the first time] Seriously tho', if the locals have a hotel recommendation,I'd love to here from them,otherwise will check the website and stay at the "event" hotel. Derek....and where are Yellowstatue and the rest of the ..."too close to Toronto group!?
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM

Birthday Charm !!!

Originally Posted by Muskrat

I've been told you don't have Birthdays just Days of Celebrations, and as for your Charm that I've been reading here, you sure seem to have a lot.{giggle giggle giggle}!!!
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:31 AM
olds..older..oldest

OCC 30TH ANNIVERSARY MEET

Hurray!!! Carb rebuilder phoned from Toronto,and my Q-jet goes back in the beast tomorrow. All being well,will head down to London either Friday night or Saturday A:M. Havn't reserved a room yet....where's everyone staying? PM me or call me 1-705-733-6783 [CELL].Hope we can get a good turnout of CO site friends.I'll staple a "OC Member" card to my forehead!! See you there!
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
wait.... what....

Glad your going to be able to make it!
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Wow, it looks like I've missed a bit of this thread while I was away.
Hey glad to see that some of the members are going to be able to make it out! It'll be awesome to finally meet some of the other members.
And hey, I wish I could offer up some beds for you all, I really do. But my wife may not see it like I do....lol
As far as motels go, I've never stayed in any here in London, since I live here, but from what I've heard, there aren't really many decent ones in the east end, near Fanshawe Park.
This one I think may be a decent economy hotel, nothing fancy.
Airport Inn & Suites
2230 Dundas Street
London, ON N5V 1R5
(519) 457-1200
Do not mistake the "Airport Inn & Suites" for the "Airport Hotel"
They are two VERY different places. You do not want to stay at the latter! Ok, well maybe some of you would...lol

There is a Bed and Breakfast, not very far from Fanshawe, that seems reasonably priced and clean and pleasant. Here is a link to their site.
http://www.bbjust4ucanada.com/rooms.html

I would actually recommend camping right at the park if you're up to it.
I am sure others from out of town must do this as well.

Oh and hey Bulldog (Dan?) how'd those wheels turn out for you? Glad to see you can make it too.
Should be a great turnout.
Duane

Last edited by 69Rman; August 4th, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Registered Abuser

I may make the hour trip down to check out this event. No Olds though, engine is still at the shop. I will have to show my face in my '95 Concorde.
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:21 AM

I'm heading to this event as well for the first time.. Looking forward to it!!
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Duane (69Rman) Rims and tires worked out great.There on my car now and if everything goes well I will be driving the Cutlass to the show.
Hope to see you there and looking forward to meeting many other Olds fans.
Dan
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM
olds..older..oldest

OCC

Just took out the red beast and this carb rebuilder is a magician!!Total rebuild and metal re-dyed to original appearance.More importantly,it idles,runs and accelerates like it was meant to.I'm stoked about taking her down Friday to London.Will run supertest gas and octane boost en route. Muskrat,the Airport Inn and Suites is the host hotel,as listed in 69Rman's post above. The OCC rate is $99.00/nite,but when I booked last nite,I used my CAA card for a $85.00/nite rate.Get ready to yak and party late into the nights!!!...Derek
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:54 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

Awsome PawSome!! I look forward to meeting my fellow CO'ers! Good call on the CAA card. those babies are handy, aren't they?
I'm heading to London Thursday .. See U all there!
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:09 AM

You could also stay at the university (UWO) - they have a bed and breakfast in the summer months. Here is a link to check it out: http://www.has.uwo.ca/hospitality/be...fast/index.htm
It seems very reasonable.
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

Arrival

Hey there! as promised, I've arrived in London unscathed. Highbury was pretty quiet. I've already cruised Dundas .. in search of fellow Olds'ies! not many out on a school night.
See you soooooooon!

To those who Can't make it, and even for those here .. I'll be taking lots of pix and even VIDEO .. so, Smile for the cameras
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Captain of my ship

Thanks

Pics would at least make me feel better hopefully next year it will be a summer holiday trip
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:06 AM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

you'd definately be a runner for the Long Distance award, if it's NS u are hailing from we'll miss you this time around
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Captain of my ship

COOL

At least I would get something I love driving so that's no problem.in the attached pic you can see some Plaques and trophies. My dad won all them (they continue all way across 24' garage) with his 29 Model A leatherback. He left it to me when he passed away and I traded it for this Olds.he wanted me to use it so I could get a car I liked cause he knew the old Ford wasn't my speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
007.jpg (46.4 KB, 12 views)
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
olds..older..oldest

en route to OCC

Got stranded at my island cottage by a screwed up Merc outboard carb!! Got the red beauty hosed down,grab a bite and it's "Hi-ho Silver away!!" Muskrat...scope out the scene down there...we're going to light it up the OCC/CO way Yahooooo!!
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:40 PM
olds..older..oldest

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
Got stranded at my island cottage by a screwed up Merc outboard carb!! Got the red beauty hosed down,grab a bite and it's "Hi-ho Silver away!!" Muskrat...scope out the scene down there...we're going to light it up the OCC/CO way Yahooooo!!
Made it! Only 4 Olds here at the hotel so far.Weather for the next few days looks to be a rainy Canadian version of the OCA meet.Trying to take pics today,and hopefully Muskrat will get some too.This is my first big show,and it was awesome cruising for over two hours at 3000 RPM and about 75-80 MPH to get here![ considering I blew my starter Thursday and left for the cottage 'til this morning not knowing if my mechanic would have a new one in when I got home].Will keep you posted...Derek
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Well, I have to say this has been one of the worst weeks I've had in a while!
THANK WHOEVER !! that I will be spending the next two days drooling over Oldsmobiles!!!!
...as well as meeting some of you great folks.
My plans were to be there early tomorrow morning with all of my junk that I need to get out of my way. Which would have meant a lot of preparation, ie getting the trailer, loading it all up, loading my truck as well, etc., etc.
Well it is now 10:30 PM, and I just got home with the trailer.
It is still empty!!
Did I mention work sucks a$$?
I start at 5AM, clocked out last night at 7:30 PM, and tonight at 7:00 PM
No time for me this week I guess...
So I am off to bed now, but I'll be up (hopefully) before most of you loading up all of my junk...
Hope to see some of you there.

Oh, I did do a drive by of the Airport Inn, I saw what I think was Derek's *** end showing, ...lol, and another nice looking white 71 or 2 ragtop, didn't see Muskrat's ragtop though but of course she was probably out tearing up our beautiful city of London's streets...lol Hopefully anyways!

Duane
I'll be the guy asleep at the swap area with everyone taking anything they need. I'll have to put out a donation box for the honest folks...lol

Last edited by 69Rman; August 7th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
olds..older..oldest

Rear view mirror...

I must hasten to assure my fellow CO members thet at NO time was my ..."*** hanging out" here at the OCC meet!! The large red rear end of my 69 442 WAS visible from the road however,when that view wasn't being blocked by the super-clean 1971 W-30 parked behind me.Pretty thin turnout so far tho' more cars are arriving tonite for the judging tomorrow.Has been great to talk in person with fellow CO members like Yellowstatue[Richard] who has already been kind enough to point out[or fix!]a number of items on my ride that need changing.Pics have to wait til I get home...but there's LOTS!! Derek
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Hey fellow Canucks
New to the site and am embarking on my first Olds build. Wasn't aware of this show.
Help !!!! Can anyone give me some advise on links, parts, supplers out this way.
Working on a 70 Cutlass ragtop that need much TLC (complete face lift) I'm out Brantford way.
Thanks in advance
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:54 PM
wait.... what....

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
I must hasten to assure my fellow CO members thet at NO time was my ..."*** hanging out" here at the OCC meet!!
I beg to differ! It looks like you were trying to stick it out here! lol Anyway i had a good time and enjoyed meeting some of you. I just wish there were more cars there for me to drool over!

IMG_2435.jpg?t=1249851031
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Hehehe,
Nice one Shane! It looks like you caught a good pic of Derek here... Like I said see, though I WAS referring to the *** end of his great looking 442.
Anyhow, wetness aside, I had a great time at the show. It was awesome to meet some more of the members from here. I also met MANY other Olds folks. It helps being only one of four people selling their junk though. OK, mine was really the only junk, everyone else was selling new stuff mostly. But it did help me meet A LOT of folks. Was awesome!

Derek, you have yourself one nice looking ride man, take good care of that beauty, but I expect you will, you did seem to be a very proud owner.
Shane, keep in touch man, I'd love to see your progress sometime since mine is currently on hold...lol...and your about five minutes away. I know you will be posting some cool pics so I won't ask for them. hehe
I also met Yellowstatue and his wife, as well as the infamous Muskrat, who from what I understand is Yellowknife's daughter??? Sorry, I don't get too personal with Olds folks when I meet them. lol But that was the understanding that I had. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
It was sure nice to meet a family of Olds lovers though, and you all seemed like real great people. We'll have to talk agian at another event.
Sorry if I forgot anyone, I did load a lot of new names and faces into my ever-shrinking data-base this weekend. Brain's kinda in overload...lol
Well, gotta go and empty my trailer load of junk that didn't sell. I'll post up some of my pics later, though I didn't get too many. I left that up to the others.
Duane
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM

The weather really tried to push us all out of the park but the people who did show up to show and to sell were troopers for sure. The Saturday show and shine was a wipe out as only 15 or so of us showed up with cars. Sunday, the turnout was much better but still way under what they had expected. At least on Sunday it only rained for about an hour. It was great meeting a lot of the Oldsmobile owners and enjoying their cars with them!

That's a cool car you have Derek! I believe we spoke a couple of times but I never got a chance to ask you your name. I wish my friend with the 69 442 convertible would have been able to come to the show too as he would have liked your car.
Old August 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM

I'm disappointed.Stopped to get something to eat at the service station somewhere around Cambridge.And thats when the problems started or should I say not started.Points and condenser went in the car and I forgot to take any parts or tools so I was a no show.Towed the car back to Toronto and got it running there.MAY'BE NEXT YEAR.
Old August 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

aw, BullDog, sorry to hear about your troubles.
1964CutlassSC ... Congrats! People's choice, eh?! (did i get that right?)
good post, Oldzyy, on Derek's ... er ... tight end?!?!! C'mon! who's into Football?! hahaaaaaaa
and Derek, we DO hope u had an extra special birthday with us Olds'ies!

like 69RMan says .. it was great to meet you guys face to face. We'll have to chat it up again sometime ... the computer's great, but a genuine conversation can't be beat!
What a great thread! this was FUN! Thanks everyone!

Muskrat. Daughter of YellowStatue.

Quick Reply: Oldsmobile Club of Canada - National Meet - August