The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

okay 10 paint shops and all is not well.

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM

okay 10 paint shops and all is not well.

So I've hit at this point 10 different paint shops trying to get my Car repainted from Fire Engine Red to the H/0 paint scheme of 1969. These are just some of the responses. Understand I have owned 8 different olds with 5 being H/O's and have all the parts that are needed for this 1969 conversion and know exactly what I want with all the factory correct conversion information. In Florida by the way. http://www.flickr.com/photos/35557405@N08/

1.May take up to 3 years.

2.Insurance Cars must come first! May take 2-5 years

3.You need to get the correct Fiberglass Hood- (uhh 1969 H/O didnt have Fiberglass hoods!)

4.Can't give you and Estimate until the car is completely stripped down to metal!

5. the Estimate would be $500.00!

6.That's one nice looking Buick!

7.$20,0000!

8.We must take Motor and Trans out to paint the Car!
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM

I'd keep looking. Though likely you will continue to hear things along the line of ins jobs come first. I would be checking around for a shop that does restoration work on a regular basis, though I don't imagine it will be cheep regardless of who does assuming it is a quality shop. There is not a whole lot of profit in restoration work comparatively, so you will be competing for time with the insurance. Something you may want to try is cash for parts, or paying an agreed amount for certain stages of completion, within a given time frame. They know you are serious, and are going to pay, as well as be around and involved. you know what is going into your car, and that it will be completed in a timely fashion.
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:56 PM
car guy

What you are seeing is not uncommon. I worked for a high end restoraton shop in 1990 when I was in high school. An average job was 10,000-12,000 back then for paint and body only. We did not do any interior or mechanical. The average car was there 1-2 years

Even at those prices that shop could not make money in restoration and ended up doing collision work only.
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM

I experienced some of the same years ago with my last project. Bunch of crooks trying to put their kid through college on one paint job.
Do not let them hold your car hostage for years! Get a written quote up front with price and turn around time. If they look at you like your crazy, leave.
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:00 PM

same here. My car went into the shop on July 2, 2008. It's supposed to be painted this week, but I doubt it. He was the only shop that I went to that would do my car. All the others said that they just do "remove and replace". So does he, but said he'd do it. So far he's done a great job and even said he would guarantee the job for as long as I own the car, but it's coming up to 8 months and all the body prep is done. Just waiting for the two tone paint. They are using the Glasurit (BASF) system which I hear is a top of the line paint system, so I think that I should be happy when it comes out of there.
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM
GM Enthusiast

It's unfortunate but that is the way most shops are here too. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find shops to paint your car, let alone do it reasonably. I hope you can find someone to do it.
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Captain of my ship

paint

it is the opposite here for me as my neighbour 2 doors down has a top grade body and paint shop. He painted my mom's lincoln in a week and for less than his estimate. My problem is I can't afford to paint the car. Dave's Collision does it the way it should be done , but it's all water based paints now ... no more laquer paintup here anyway. What about in the U.S. same regulations on paints.
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Registered Luser

... no more laquer paintup here anyway. What about in the U.S. same regulations on paints.[/QUOTE]

Depends what air district you are in, some parts of Southern California are water...most other parts of US "could be" by 2012...
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Just A BaBy {:

well this is making me sad.. after i get the rear done on my car i wanted it to be painted asap but it looks like when i go looking theres going to be trouble }:
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Registered

This is one of those deals like engine builders, don't go to the places that think they're doing you a favor allowing you to overpay them. When they feel like it they may get around to your job and you should get down on your hands and knees and thank them when they do. Stay there because you'll be in the proper position for what they'll do to you when you get the final bill.

I have an estimate for a base/clear job on my Vista Cruiser with name brand materials for $2800, the body work is all done and it's in epoxy primer. The place does really nice work and don't take themselves too seriously, 2 weeks at the most after it goes in start to finish. I still have a few more to go to get estimates from once the weather breaks. A friend just had has his Trans-Am painted for 4K, complete color change and it included putting the screaming chicken decal on the hood.
That place is a bunch of old-timer body guys from dealers that shut down. They got together and started their own shop, just do the job with no drama on time and on cost. They cut the roof off another one and put it on his because he wanted T-tops. They also finished and dyed the interior blue from white and did all the bodywork before the paint, all for 3K, looks factory to me and I'm a nitpicker.
The places are around, you just have to find them, a lot work on referral and are in plain buildings with no signs or cars sitting around outside. Most just do paint and don't get involved with any major prep or body work.
You have to ask around and get connections.
It's just like most things, it's not what you know but who you know.
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
So I've hit at this point 10 different paint shops trying to get my Car repainted from Fire Engine Red to the H/0 paint scheme of 1969. These are just some of the responses. Understand I have owned 8 different olds with 5 being H/O's and have all the parts that are needed for this 1969 conversion and know exactly what I want with all the factory correct conversion information. In Florida by the way. http://www.flickr.com/photos/35557405@N08/

1.May take up to 3 years.

2.Insurance Cars must come first! May take 2-5 years

3.You need to get the correct Fiberglass Hood- (uhh 1969 H/O didnt have Fiberglass hoods!)

4.Can't give you and Estimate until the car is completely stripped down to metal!

5. the Estimate would be $500.00!

6.That's one nice looking Buick!

7.$20,0000!

8.We must take Motor and Trans out to paint the Car!
What kind of job do you want? A show car? a driver? Once you start there's no turning back. If you want to save money you will have to do some work your self. remove the bumpers, chrome, etc. Strip the car and epoxy prime the shell. Just like the Vista cruiser in the previous post. I remember a thread of a 68 442 getting restored a couple months back and the guy had to junk the car once they stripped it. I'm sure those shops have seen it all and need to cover their rears.
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Exclamation

One word: CONTRACT

That is what I did. I would not leave my car at any shop who would not sign a contract for:

What will be done

How it will be done

What will be done

When it will be done

How contingencies will be handled
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:58 AM

I've got one I took down to bare metal and had it primed before my borther in law sold his shop. It's been sitting for over a year. I am about ready to do it myself. Bought a book at Amazon and am trying to figure it all out. Good Luck

Try hanging out at auto paint stores and learning who what ever you can.
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Past Administrator

Not paint shops alone. Read Olds64's thread about interior. He had to wait longer than he wanted to get his car back from the upholstery shop. fortunately he is happy with the quality of the work. I would suggest cruising on over to the HAMB because those guys are all about restoration and custom work and are a very large network. They probably have contacts in almost every major city. Just a thought...
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Captain of my ship

trouble

Originally Posted by easytobedead
well this is making me sad.. after i get the rear done on my car i wanted it to be painted asap but it looks like when i go looking theres going to be trouble }:
if you are worried about matching paints between laquer or water base don't . i have seen a lot of the work dave does for insurance where he may only be painting the front end etc. and you cannot tell the difference. The only difference from talking to Dave personally is that the new system he uses fades less when exposed to uv rays (sun). The bad news is it is a little more expensive for a while anyway , as he has invested thousands to convert his shop and only does water base. He did this 2 years previous to leglislation so he is a little more affordable now vs those who waited till the last minute.I don't know a lot about it but there is something different in the prep work so that would be something to look into when finding a paint shop. Always get a quote in writing and what is going to be done. Much of it depends on how good a job you want done since around large metropolitan ares body and paint shops are busy cause their bread and butter is insurance claims. Maybe why rates are so high?
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Plymouth Rock

There is a man in Eastern Tennessee who is doing great resto's. You can check out the post on his prices at http://www.phpbbplanet.com/plymouthr...lymouthrockres . I have seen some of the work he does and been to his shop. He does paint jobs to full frame off restos. You can see some of the work he is doing by going to Forwardlook.net/forums or you can PM me and I will get you the info to contact him.
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM

I would NEVER allow my car to be at a body shop for over a year. It took about 4 months for my engine and 1.5 months for my interior. These were both long waits. I have no patience for someone that says they will do something a million times only to fall through every time.
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM

Thanks for posting everyone.... I have a number of years as stated before with Olds and other Hot Rods and I remember when you could have a car done in a week for a few hundred bucks. I'm not looking for any kind of show Car mint flawless crap. Just a well done job with no defects in the workmanship. This car will be driven and often. For me this is what the Whole purpsose of going back and buying one of these was for. I will personally be taking out the Interior myself which is in fact mint and removing the bumpers to have them rechromed. There is only 2 spots of rust about the size of a quarter on the Car. So not allot of body stuff to do. My main worry was the removal of Hood and fenders and trunk etc and making sure everything goes back the right way without adding 5" Gaps. At the moment everything is perfect. The motor is already done and rebuilt so it will have to be covered well. If I could stand the RED I would just keep it that way but love the H/O Paint scheme and have waited 30+ years to have it.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by tndrtgr
There is a man in Eastern Tennessee who is doing great resto's. You can check out the post on his prices at http://www.phpbbplanet.com/plymouthr...lymouthrockres . I have seen some of the work he does and been to his shop. He does paint jobs to full frame off restos. You can see some of the work he is doing by going to Forwardlook.net/forums or you can PM me and I will get you the info to contact him.
I am serious about this shop. He does a great job and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Look him up at http://www.myspace.com/overhomeclassics. I have seen some of the work he puts out and its amazing for the price you pay. Here is what he has posted as a price guide:

"Generally some jobs I do at a flat rate while other may require a "By the hour charge. If they do then the rate is $40 an hour and I assure you that is cheaper than 99% or any other restoration/speed&custom shop.

I am offering flat rate prices (plus cost of parts or any subcontracted work such a re-chroming, prices listed below include all labor, paint and body material except sheet metal)

1. Basic overall paint job where the body/glass stays together, $4500
2. Frame on, body/glass apart, $8000.
3. Frame off cosmetic with little mechanical restoration, $15,000.
4. Frame off total restoration (stock), $20,000.
5. Custom work depend on what you want done."
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM

Hey Dougie, where in Fl are you? PM me if you are near Tampa, I might be able to help you out, Jim
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Hey Capt-Jim, I'm in Tampa, will send you n email.
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:36 PM

hey i used to work at a resto shop they gave ball park estimates i say ball park because once you get the old paint stripped and glass and interior removed there would be no telling what you could find. this old timer i worked for was pretty good at estimates but every once in a while we would run into a car with a half pound of filler or rot but he was always good at stopping and calling to have the owner come in and review things. some people would pay a week in advance and they would work until the money was gone but we always were working on at least 5 or 6 cars at a time all restos. so i ges to make every thing look write you would need a disasebly exspecially if changing colors.
the other thing your worried about panel alighnment you can always drill guide holes with a 1/8 inch drill bit so all they or you would have to do is alighn the holes. let me tell ya aligning panels can be a real b . i had to influence on of my fenders with a 2x4. evry shop should always test fit the panels after sand blasting major welding and do all filling and body prep assembled then paint seperatly.
check my post under major projects my resterations i'm changing colors and ive done alot of work my self to save money.
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the info. It's really appreciated.