The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

New Lap top time

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2019, 06:51 PM

New Lap top time

So one of my friends tried to update my MAC with their new operating system and it locked my hard drive. Apple can't fix it and doesn't care, forensic scientists couldn't get in the hard drive so it was time to lick my wounds and get another computer. I loved that MAC up until I lost everything. That being said there was no way I was going to scrape up another $2100 for a MAC. Picked up a 17" $350 Lenovo. It's a challenge getting back into windows but at least I'm back on the chat. New Quick books is even more of a challenge. hopefully I get used to this soon.
Old April 24th, 2019, 09:24 PM

Did you whack your friend upside the head with your MAC?
Old April 24th, 2019, 10:28 PM

I don't understand the continual Apple IOS update philosophy.
Old April 25th, 2019, 12:29 AM

Save everything of importance on an external hard drive also. Its cheap insurance to have a back up copy.
Old April 25th, 2019, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Did you whack your friend upside the head with your MAC?
Wasn't his fault, it was Apples OS. And get this Apple could care less. That's was the main reason I wouldn't get another product of theirs, the price was secondary.
Old April 25th, 2019, 06:34 AM

Sorry guys don't know how to do multiple quotes. I tried that multi box but that doesn't seem to do anything. I used to ask questions on how this site works but got back the "I was born knowing how to use this site" answers. Sometimes people forget they had to learn what's obvious to them. But that's another post.

Fun71 I don't understand it either. My theory is that's how they get you to buy a new MAC. for $350 I can buy six Lenovo's and be way ahead of the game, so the once raved about MAC to me is a thing of the past. I've had people tell me "Apple is the Devil" constantly hitting you with fees when you want something. They are just not cost efficient.

Ralph I know, I put way to much trust in MAC and so many things could happen so I'll have 2 external drives now to save the info. I'll alternate them weekly so everything is on the drives.
Old April 25th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Administrator

On the multi-quote thing, for every post you want to quote click the multi-quote button with the exception of the last one, you hit the quote button. they will all be individual quotes in your post.

I never saw the value in a mac for my use. I just buy the cheapest laptop that has a keypad on the rh side and I'm good. They last around 5 years gove or take, and as stated, I can buy a lifetime of laptops for the price of 1 mac.
Old April 25th, 2019, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Sorry guys don't know how to do multiple quotes. I tried that multi box but that doesn't seem to do anything. I used to ask questions on how this site works but got back the "I was born knowing how to use this site" answers. Sometimes people forget they had to learn what's obvious to them. But that's another post.
Zeeke, click on "multi-quote" for each one, then click on "quote" for only the last one. See if that works for you.

Fun71 I don't understand it either. My theory is that's how they get you to buy a new MAC. for $350 I can buy six Lenovo's and be way ahead of the game, so the once raved about MAC to me is a thing of the past. I've had people tell me "Apple is the Devil" constantly hitting you with fees when you want something. They are just not cost efficient.
Zeeke, I don't use any "APPLE" devices. I learned my lesson many years ago. MAC's used to be very good for the graphics and printing industry, and they were "user-friendly". I wouldn't praise a Lenovo based on price.......remember YUGO cars ? All computers can have a problem, just like cars.

Ralph I know, I put way to much trust in MAC and so many things could happen so I'll have 2 external drives now to save the info. I'll alternate them weekly so everything is on the drives.
Zeeke, I had a computer go bad many years ago, but I was able to retrieve everything after "jury rigging" the old hard drive. Now I copy everything on two external hard drives. Save to both external hard drives, its just a couple extra clicks. Verify that you saved it after saving to one external hard drive.
Old April 25th, 2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Wasn't his fault, it was Apples OS. And get this Apple could care less. That's was the main reason I wouldn't get another product of theirs, the price was secondary.
Yeah, the wife is a serious Apple fan but she has become very disappointed with them since Steve Jobs died and the bean counters started running the company. Customer focus has disappeared and the knowledge level of their support staff is very lacking.
Old April 25th, 2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Zeeke, I had a computer go bad many years ago, but I was able to retrieve everything after "jury rigging" the old hard drive. Now I copy everything on two external hard drives. Save to both external hard drives, its just a couple extra clicks. Verify that you saved it after saving to one external hard drive.
What external hard drive do you use? Im looking forward to buy a new laptop but I dont know how to save all my info and put it in the new laptop. I really dont want to give my laptop to a company that you pay to do it for you. I rather learn how to do it myself.
Old April 25th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Olds Fever

I use two external hard drives, both are Toshiba, one is a 1TB & the other is a 2TB... I also use several flash drives for short term backups... Also I store my external hard drives in a fire proof safe for that added protection...
Old April 25th, 2019, 02:12 PM

I have an old USBuslink that I will be replacing, and a Toshiba Canvio 1T. I would stick with a well known name brand. I was told that Toshiba had a big problem financially and is tentatively sold to a Chinese company. For that reason, I won't buy Toshiba. I used to like Toshiba laptops, but again the "consumer electronics division" is being sold.
I just bought two new HP laptops on sale from OffieMax.......... 0053od...17" screen, 1T hard drive, and DVD drive.
The other HP is 0058od......15.6" screen, 1T hard drive.
Old April 25th, 2019, 03:13 PM

Save everything of importance on an external hard drive also. Its cheap insurance to have a back up copy.
Originally Posted by Fun71
I don't understand the continual Apple IOS update philosophy.
We tried everything but so far no good. The Guru is supposed to be back Friday. We will see what he can do.

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yeah, the wife is a serious Apple fan but she has become very disappointed with them since Steve Jobs died and the bean counters started running the company. Customer focus has disappeared and the knowledge level of their support staff is very lacking.
Not sure when he died but I can see that. Via his documentary he wasn't the typical money hungry CEO. He understood the long term aspect of clientele.

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
I use two external hard drives, both are Toshiba, one is a 1TB & the other is a 2TB... I also use several flash drives for short term backups... Also I store my external hard drives in a fire proof safe for that added protection...
Exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks Eric that worked as you said.