The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Motorhome or camping trailer

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Always room for one more

Motorhome or camping trailer

Hey everyone.

What are some opinions on camping in a motorhome over a camping trailer, or vice versa?

I already have a motorhome, that needs a -complete- redo inside and basic maintenance on the motor. It actually runs fairly well. Pretty much everything will have to come out for some floor repairs and updating and making it more user friendly.

Another thing, what about driving/towing with one or the other? With the MH I'd tow a car, probably on a trailer. Obviously with a trailer I'd unhook and then could drive my truck.

Lastly, what if I decide to get rid of the MH and no one wants it? What other creative uses are there for a P-chassis and BBC?

Thanks everyone. There's pro's and con's to both sides but I'd like to hear some experiences and opinions.
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Mike you could allways rent out the Motor Home to 10-12 illegal immigrants.
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:35 AM

I have been a motorhome owner since the mid 70's and I think they are great. I tow a car with mine that way running around is a lot cheaper because of the gas mileage plus we can haul friends around as well and it is my wife's daily driver.

That being said I suggest to anyone who asks me "Do not buy either until you have rented both for at least a two week vacation. You might change your mind about what you like and maybe not like either one and choose to stay in motels

Good luck with your decision.
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:46 PM

When we had little kids, we loved our motorhome. As the kids got older and didn't want to go along and the P30 hit the 100,000 mile mark, we decided to downsize and bought a travel trailer again. Ma and I can unhook and drive the 'burb around to see the sights. They each have their pros and cons. I can adapt to either one pretty easily.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Administrator

You have to do a lot of camping to justify the cost of either. I'm to the point of staying in motels as I found it was less expensive.
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks you guys. And I agree, it would take a lot of camping to make up either. The plan is to be able to take my dogs along and not have to board them at the kennel.

Last summer I took a trip from Atlanta to Dayton, OH. I figured up had I taken the MH and not paying for a hotel for 5 nights and not boarding the dogs for 5 nights, with gas a little over $4 I would've about broke even. This year gas is lower so I'd make out a little. The MH isn't ready so I'll be boarding the dogs and staying in a hotel, unless I dump the MH and get a trailer.

It does seem futile sometimes, save on this but pay for that. Eh, money is overrated.
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM

A lot of motels let you stay with your dogs, cost a little more(i don't know how many dogs it takes to lose your welcome though) but if only one or two and they are not unruly I would take them, mine love to travel.If you pencil it out it's hard to justify a motor home unless you travel a lot .....Tedd
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike you could allways rent out the Motor Home to 10-12 illegal immigrants.
Lol
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:41 AM

mike,

I love my Travel Trailer - I have a 30'. We have owned this one for 5 years.
I previously had 2 popup trailers and much prefer the full size one..
Yes they can be pricy to tow.. but if you have the right tow vehicle you can get reasonable mileage and a bed of your own.

Most all of the campgrounds require dogs to be on a leash. and of course clean up the piles they leave.

I grew up in a trailer family. I have driven a motor home. I wasn't too impressed with it. (no offense to those that own one- to each their own)
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Always room for one more

I've done both, camped in a motorhome and a travel trailer. After a lot of pondering I think I will get rid of the motorhome and get a trailer. My reasoning is, one less motor to maintain. And by the time I get the motorhome redone, I could probably buy three trailers.

So thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Anyone want to buy a POS motorhome?
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:48 PM

Yeah, if you have not shopped around for RVs, you're going to discover an old motorhome that gets 6mpg might cost you money to get rid of.
If you could fix/update it yourself economically, that would be the way to go.
Old May 24th, 2013, 10:23 PM

Dream car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds camper.jpg (80.1 KB, 16 views)
Old May 24th, 2013, 10:30 PM

My personal favourite, however I am bias.
Enlarge to look at the grill.
Attached Images
Olds59RVcamper1.jpg (111.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by 5998DownUnder; May 24th, 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: additions.
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:07 AM

Get a camper and put it on a seasonal sight within a reasonable distance from home. Then you can use it every weekend. It's like being on vacation every weekend! Drive the car there, open the door and relax. If you want to take in on a trip you still can. I did this for years before I sold mine. Kind of want to do it again. I stay home weekends now and end up working around the house.
Old May 25th, 2013, 09:05 AM

Woke up to some camping fun thursday
Attached Images
2013-05-23 09.27.21.jpg (102.4 KB, 14 views)
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:30 AM

I've thought about buying an Airstream trailer to tow behind my 71 98. If I were to tow with it I would definitely install an auxillary transmission cooler. I think an Airstream would really fit the image of my Olds. Then again, my wife and I don't camp very often; however, she has said that she would like to do more camping. Plus I like the idea of storing a trailer at a local camping ground. There is actually a wildlife refuge near me and all the guys I know like going there on the weekends. Maybe I should consider doing this when I return from my deployment.
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:57 AM

Motel v. RV v. Trailer

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You have to do a lot of camping to justify the cost of either. I'm to the point of staying in motels as I found it was less expensive.
__________________________________________________ _____________

If the main variable is cost then you're right oldscutlass. My wife and I talked about seeing all of the Lower 48. She marched to her computer, selected the analytic mode in her brain, fired up Excel and hours later announced the least expensive option was to fly to regional centers, rent a car and stay in motels. All of the RV options included towing a smaller vehicle so day trips were practical.

I protested that the analytic variable should have been satisfaction. She says that variable is not in Excel but she would be more satisfied not having to purchase or rent, equip a vehicle, clean it up, shop for food, cook for ourselves and do our dirty dishes plus suffer the cost of repairs, depreciation and storage. Storage at home is not an option.

No further discussion being advisable the subject was dropped and we have not taken that trip to see all 48 contiguous states.