The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Leaving for a while

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Oldsdruid

Leaving for a while

Friday 13th my front door was kicked in while I was at work and my laptop stolen.

I have thought about it a lot the past week and have decided to live offline for a while.

Since the only Classic Oldsmobile access I have now is at work, and that damned Kontera ad program makes CO virtually unreadable there (can't diasable or thwart it), I'm gonna take a leave of absence. See y'all someday, when I decide to go back online.

At least I got hit when I was away and only lost the 8-year-old laptop and remaining jewelry, plus the damage to the door. Could have ended up like this guy http://www.yourgv.com/index.php/news...possible-crime

Rocket on!

rocketraider
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Wow, that sux. We will miss you on here.
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:43 AM

I hope your absence will be short, your knowledge is irreplaceable hurry back you will be missed by all....Tedd
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:51 AM
NOVICE car nut

That sucks ! I hope you can get things straightened out , and get back on here . Maybe it would be time to get a security system , or a big mean dog .
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Registered Luser

Hope you come back someday Glenn. Your help and knowledge is very valuable here! Thanks and take care! Probably meth or crack heads......
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Replacement laptops are really a lot cheaper nowadays and there's great ad blocking software available as freeware. Sorry for your loss. A break in is a nasty invasion of privacy. Hope there wasn't a lot of personal data on the stolen puter. Sometimes a sabatical is a good thing to reflect and recharge. I know, I've been there too. Enjoy your time away.
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM
delete

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
That sucks ! I hope you can get things straightened out , and get back on here . Maybe it would be time to get a security system , or a big mean dog .
Dog maybe but a security system won't help that. Most of these guys are doing a smash & dash. They get in grab what they can see & get out. They know the cops are minutes away, not seconds.
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Glenn, we will miss you a lot! like the others have said you have a wealth of information stored in your noggin' and assorted books. Check in when you can, we'll need a dose of your Virginia humor now and then.

I replaced my laptop two years ago with an iPad and have not looked back. You might want to look into a tablet instead. Doesn't matter what type, Apple or android, they are all nicely handy and portable and stashable.

Be well!
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:05 PM

Maybe you can get a Mac now and not have to deal with those ads.
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:48 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that Glenn, hope you're back soon.
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Oldsdruid

AdBlocker and Firefox very effectively blocked them on the laptop. Work computer has a hyper-aggressive phishing filter on it (aggressive enough it takes their own corporate website a couple minutes to load, go figure) and time it scans and Kontera picks its keywords, it will routinely take a minute and a half to let a CO page get thru. In meantime the whole machine is frozen until Kontera does its thing and I cannot disable or block Kontera at work.

I'll probably look in every so often. Hard to kick a Classic Oldsmobile addiction!
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:50 AM

Glenn,

Come back soon you will be missed.
Old October 1st, 2013, 02:15 AM

That is definitely a bummer. Hopefully your insurance covers the repair of your door, lost jewelry and the price of the laptop. We look forward to seeing you soon.