The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Jordanian just arrested for plotting to blow up Dallas TX sky scraper

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM
car guy

Jordanian just arrested for plotting to blow up Dallas TX sky scraper

I don't know the details yet but sounds like wide open boarders are sure a good thing
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:24 PM

My girlfriend is a wide-open boarder.
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Here's some more links to info:

http://cbs11tv.com/local/fbi.attempt...2.1206859.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,4831695.story

http://alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N24477446.htm

Looks like a fairly straight-forward situation. Moron in small north Texas town talks with undercover FBI guys, who supply him with a fake bomb, then arrest him.

Andy Griffith could have popped this guy.

Old September 24th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Senior Moment Member

LOL Diego. My thoughts too.
Old September 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Erinyes
Here's some more links to info:

http://cbs11tv.com/local/fbi.attempt...2.1206859.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,4831695.story

http://alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N24477446.htm

Looks like a fairly straight-forward situation. Moron in small north Texas town talks with undercover FBI guys, who supply him with a fake bomb, then arrest him.

Andy Griffith could have popped this guy.

Now that know the details I agree. In fact I feel its a heck of a deal that this and the deal in New York with the guy in Denver happens right around the same time. Hmmm what is happening this week. Oh yea part of the (Un)Patriot Act expires. Lets see two terrorist close calls. Yup better renew it. Who knows what might of happened this week if we did not have it. Something stinks....Smells like the Constitution burning
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Speaking of the Patriot Act...

It appears it is being used far more for drug investigations than for terrorism investigations. Out of 763 "sneak and peek" requests in 2008, only three were related to terrorism. 65% were drug-related.

Yes, I'd absolutely agree that something smells bad.

Here's a couple links - Senator Feingold questioning the Justice department about this dismal state of affairs, and a .pdf from the Administrative Office of the United States Courts, showing all requests for delayed-notice search warrants and extensions. The relevant info is on page six of the pdf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSXMW...layer_embedded

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com...PeakReport.pdf

Old September 25th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I don't know the details yet but sounds like wide open boarders are sure a good thing
Richard ,

Don't you know it's illegal to profile.

Just because Islamic militants blew up

Pam Am flight over Scotland
Marine barracks in Lebanon
U.S.S. Cole
World trade centers [one attempt failed]
And some place in Isreal ever day [it seems]

Doesn't me we can prolfile.

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE LOUISE
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

There are others like that guy who have a beef against the government, or big business, or something they perceive as having power over their life. They "discover" a religion (recently it has been Islam) that liberates them in a way they have never experienced before. The next thing you know they are plotting some revenge in the manner we saw in Dallas yesterday, or in Oklahoma City in the nineties. I think that is where we are getting some of these "americans" joining up the religion of Islam, it's sick....
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:55 AM

There was another similar incident in Springfield, Il where the FBI supplied a guy with a van and a fake bomb. He was was trying to blow up a federal building up there.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story...185818&catid=3
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by jeffu231
There was another similar incident in Springfield, Il where the FBI supplied a guy with a van and a fake bomb.
Just like the Dallas sceme - I just read all about it.
These guys are so guilty at wanting to kill so many, I hope they get the 'chair...
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:20 AM

I cannot comprehend the extremist view that believes the highest calling their son or daughter can fulfill is to radomly slaughter people who think differently than them. Our leaders need to stay on top of this or we will surely have another 9-11 type event in our country.
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:27 AM

More info about this guy trickling in; FBI found him by reading chat boards:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/25/...est/index.html

And, the FBI press release regarding the case:

http://dallas.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pr...9/dl092409.htm

Old September 25th, 2009, 08:41 AM

And a link to a copy of the actual warrant document:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont..._complaint.pdf
This details the whole plot - I commend our undercover cops whom allowed this nut to be caught!
Hopefully this pdf is viewable to others without a login. I disable java for that site so I can sneak in the back door unnoticed...
Old September 25th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Just turn these guy loose in my driveway late at night and have the cops stay away for a couple of hours and they will be caught trying to break into my house. I'll save the courts some money. This kind of thing drains our economy 2-3 million dollars each will be spent on these guys and they still might walk, they will cry intrapment.
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM

The thing is to talk about doing something and doing it are two different things. When given the ways and means and talked into it a person may very well try to do the things they talked about. And yes this is called entrapment because the person would not have done any thing if not supplied with the materials to do it.
Old September 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Moment Member

Open borders for all dirty nightshirt wearers. Why do we let anyone into our country if they choose to come. Granted it may be illegal to stay as long as you want, but the government does not seek out the illegal to deport them. Hell, in most areas it is illegal for the cop to ask the person if they are "documented" or not. What a crazy system. A recipe for terror on our own soil. My sister is emigrating to Canada. You should see the hoops she has to jump through. Meanwhile we take the scum of the earth. Nice.
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Just turn these guy loose in my driveway late at night and have the cops stay away for a couple of hours and they will be caught trying to break into my house. I'll save the courts some money. This kind of thing drains our economy 2-3 million dollars each will be spent on these guys and they still might walk, they will cry intrapment.
X2
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Don't you know it's illegal to profile.
Just my .02 on profiling. How come when advertisers do this it's called demographics? i.e. Ads for Tide run during daytime TV, Toys are advertised in Nick between Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is why you never see an ad for Jeri Curl during the Brady Bunch. They know who watches what. Now moms aren't the only ones watching daytime TV, adults w/o kids watch Nick and w.a.s.p.s aren't the only one watching the Brady Bunch (OK, maybe they are).

If a child is kidnapped, they start with the immediate family because that's where it usually starts (not always though). If the cops are looking for a serial killer, they look for 25-55 y/o white male. The list goes on. We (everybody) as a whole is pretty predictable.

Call it demographics for advertising or profiling for police work. As in Vegas, go with the odds. It will pay off in the end. IMO
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Just A BaBy {:

hmmmmm i going to stay away from this 1..being the reason that my root's are in the middle east (IRAQ) An this can get heated.........cnn an fox an msnbc are evil {:
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

an American soldier commited a terrorist act on US soil,and was executed for it.

better wake up and realize it's not just Muslim extremists that want to kill American citizens.
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 344870M
Just my .02 on profiling. How come when advertisers do this it's called demographics?
When the law and rights are involved, it's a different animal.

But when it comes to advertising, you're only telling part of the story - psychographics play an equal, if not greater, role in reaching a target market.
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM

No argument there. I'm just saying that sometimes; or most of the time (we'll leave that up to the experts) certain types of crimes are more prone to certain individuals. Including crimes committed by whites males.
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM

The thing is to talk about doing something and doing it are two different things. When given the ways and means and talked into it a person may very well try to do the things they talked about. And yes this is called entrapment because the person would not have done any thing if not supplied with the materials to do it.
I agree.

BTW, the Patriot Act is abhorrent. Anybody ever read 1984?

Last edited by Olds64; September 27th, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I agree.

BTW, the Patriot Act is abhorrent. Anybody ever read 1984?

It sure is. I think it violates our Constitution, and thats putting it mildly.
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM

While I have not read it so I can't comment without any authority (and this is an exaggeration) I wouldn't care if there were jackbooted thugs on every corner if it kept my family safe. I have nothing to hide so having 'big brother' looking over my shoulder or listening to my phone conversations is not a prob for me. But then that's me.

I say do what it takes to 'eff' the bad guys.
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Part of me feels that way too but I cant help thinking that if we give up our liberty for security its no longer America. In that way the terrorists have already won.

IMHO America is as strong as it is only becuase its as free as it is.
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Senior Moment Member

Benjamin Franklin said, "A man who gives up liberty for security will soon have neither." I think this applies now more than ever.
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Benjamin Franklin said, "A man who gives up liberty for security will soon have neither." I think this applies now more than ever.
Interesting. On the other hand I don't think ol' Ben had to deal with
serial child rapers, crack, gang warfare, nuclear arsenals, suicide bombers or zealots with Uhauls filled with diesel and manure.

The Constitution was written a looooooong time ago. Things have gotten a lot uglier and scarier since then.
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM

OK here's the problem with all these terrorists in this country.

WE ARE TOO EASY ON PUNISHMENT.

I could solve the terrorist problem and the national debt in one swoop!

Hangings, firing squad, burning at the stake, and put it on Pay Per View.

If you Hang them, you gotta make the ground just touchable so it takes longer

Firing squad, small caliper bullets (I'm thinking .22 or .25) to make it last longer.
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM

My younger brother at the ripe old age of 38 joined the Army in March and is a re-con scout for the Calvary. When he was home on leave we were talking about Afganistan and the fact that for 100's of years these folks have been fighting somebody for whatever reason then when its over they fight each other. The people that has been caught either planning to or terrorizing the U.S have the same mentality. They just wake up one day an decide to make headline news by killing people or blowing stuff up....it's a shame because the few that act badly ruin it for the one's that are just trying to survive and make a living.
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Official Tire Kicker

Originally Posted by 344870M
Interesting. On the other hand I don't think ol' Ben had to deal with
serial child rapers, crack, gang warfare, nuclear arsenals, suicide bombers or zealots with Uhauls filled with diesel and manure.

The Constitution was written a looooooong time ago. Things have gotten a lot uglier and scarier since then.
While I agree with you that it has gotton uglier over the years, the framers faced (and often did) die, have their families executed and homes burned. They basically gave up everything for the cause. Even though the Constitution was written a long time ago, the truth is still the truth, right and wrong have not changed.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
OK here's the problem with all these terrorists in this country.

WE ARE TOO EASY ON PUNISHMENT.

I could solve the terrorist problem and the national debt in one swoop!

Hangings, firing squad, burning at the stake, and put it on Pay Per View.

If you Hang them, you gotta make the ground just touchable so it takes longer

Firing squad, small caliper bullets (I'm thinking .22 or .25) to make it last longer.
X5 - You just read my mind...
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Old September 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
This is as true today as it was when written and will be so a 100 years from now. We are a country living in fear and I hate it because that is what "They" want, it makes us easy targets for their hate.
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Past Administrator

yes, and applicable to all forms of violence from all sources. I am thinking about today's news of a student beat to death by other young people because he got in between a gang war of some kind while walking home from school. My first response is we need more security "keep us safe". But every step to more security is a step away from liberty. I do not know where the balance would be but believe that it can be a slow journey that we may not notice (e.g. boiling the frog in the pot).
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by easytobedead
hmmmmm i going to stay away from this 1..being the reason that my root's are in the middle east (IRAQ) An this can get heated.........cnn an fox an msnbc are evil {:
It is unfortunate that there seems to be more attention to individuals that are of middle eastern decent , but that is due in part to 9-11 and the war in Afghanistan. The reality is that there are terrorists in almost every western democracy and not just Islamic extremists. In Alberta and B.C. we have people blowing up gas lines because of some beef with the gas company , in Spain and Italy there are always terrorist acts by people who have beefs with the gov. remember the I.R.A. they were considered terrorists for blowing up buildings and shopping malls. the green party in the U.S. started blowing up things til one of there own got caught and turned on 20 others. then there was the Unibomber and on and on and on.
The media in the U S. and Canada does focus it's attention mostly on Islamic terrorists because they are considered to be the biggest threat since 9-11 happened. It was the single biggest terrorist act to date and we need to be vigil so it does not happen again but we also have to make sure that we do not discriminate against the 99% of peaceful Islamic peoples.
Terrorism is not a new phenomenon but it has our attention these days.
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:00 AM

It is unfortunate that there seems to be more attention to individuals that are of middle eastern decent
If you watch the Steven Spielberg movie ET the young boys in the beginning of the movie dress up for Halloween. The mother asks them what they are dressed as. They reply... "Terrorists." Of course, at the time they associated terrorists with IRA rebels. It shows how our perceptions change.