The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I hate Bambi. Really I do.

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2009 | 08:24 AM
Oldsdruid

I hate Bambi. Really I do.

Yup. I utterly hate deer. There should be year round open season and no limit hunting them.

One of them totaled me K-car this morning heading in to work. And I still haven't figured where it came from. All of a sudden it was there and ZERO time to react. I was traveling 55 when it hit me.

At least I have the satisfaction of knowing there's one, hopefully two, less deer roaming. Useless, stupid, destructive animals.

I think it's funny when suburbanites think it's cool to have deer on their property "oh look what a beautiful creature!" then reality sets in when they discover how destructive a pest they really are.
Old April 22nd, 2009 | 08:29 AM

Ouch
Sorry,

Seem like I read somewhere, there more deer in the U.S. than ever. The "Supermodel" [a.k.a She who must be obeyed] took one out a few months ago in her Jag. Luckily no one was hurt. The big danger is if you knock out their legs and they come through the windshield.
Old April 22nd, 2009 | 09:13 AM
Registered

My daughter totaled her car a couple of years when she put the bam to Bambi, my mother in law nailed one too. Both were very lucky, the airbags deployed on my daughter's, that's what totaled it. The Deer is yours if you want it, it's always Deer season for cars. They average two hits a day in my township. A baby in a car seat was killed near here when the deer came through the windshield and went into the back seat and started flailing around.
They hire outfits with sharpshooters for Deer mitigation in a few outer suburbs here, of course the tree huggers go nuts, they should talk to that poor baby's parents.
Old April 22nd, 2009 | 10:35 AM
Just A BaBy {:

e! srry to hear that. i was driving a 84 delta 88 months ago an i was doing around 45 an a deer pop out i could not do anything cuz road was being worked on so there were 2 big ditches so i hit the break an i didint hit him.......cant say that when the second 1 pop out{:. but nothing really happened to my car but i was still pist.
Old April 22nd, 2009 | 11:24 AM
71 cutlass convertible

It is only a matter of time for me. Live out in middle of nowhere. Counted 41 one night on my way home one night last week.
Larry
Old April 22nd, 2009 | 02:43 PM

I don't know if it will make you feel better, but I clipped one with my truck last winter. One went right past the front...barely, the other was running straight into the side. I caught it between the tractor, and trailer. leading edge of trailer clipped it GOOD. all you could see was tan fur sticking to the entire side of the trailer, I actually thought that thing turned at first, cause I never felt the strike. I went back and there it was folded in half laying on its head. I probably should have picked it up for the meat. Oh well.
Old April 22nd, 2009 | 05:16 PM

Deer def suck.

Driving the Alero once and one ran out in front of the car, just like you, no time for reaction or anything. I swear the thing jumped over my hood.

Jammed the brakes, laid on the horn. 45 to 0 like that at 4:15 in the morning I was lucky I didn't hit him.

The Delta has a simialr story. A small clearing and a deer started to walk out in the road. I jammed on the brakes and the car flew past him with the wheels locked as he just watched my car zip by him (actually turned his head with my car) and I stopped about 30 feet past him. After a second, he stopped looking at me and when back to eating on the side of the road I was going 50 and this was at 12:20 in the morning
Old April 30th, 2009 | 06:35 AM

As a hunter who eats an enormous amount of venison, I cannot see where deer are useless or stupid animals! There are way many more useless and stupid people! Do your part to help control the population! HUNT! You can also feed your family or give the meat to someone who will use it. Man is the #1 predator on the planet when he hones his skills as such. People that survive off vulture meat purchased at a store are weaker as a result; weaker mentally and physically. I brought my first deer home in the trunk of my 69 Cutlass S convertible! That was a double thrill! Hunt and be thankful for the meat and the animal that helps to make you stronger!
Old April 30th, 2009 | 08:31 AM

Sorry to hear about the car, rocketraider.

Was it a Chrysler K car? Had one those when I was a kid...and didn't need a deer to ruin that thing. hehe.

I agree with the stupid (I blame their peanut brains)...but destructive? What kind of arsonist/anarchist deer are you associating with? Humans, now that's a destructive animal. And the most dangerous game to hunt I'm told...
Old April 30th, 2009 | 09:19 AM
Oldsdruid

I don't hunt deer. I don't like the taste or texture of venison or the smell of it cooking. And no, that's not as a result of a single instance of cooking bad meat. Every time I've ever smelled it cooking, it nauseated me.

The K is my 5th car destroyed in a deer collision. I'm tired of having to be constantly on the watch for them and still never know when I'll top a hill or round a curve, only to find several in the road. A good friend's brother is paralyzed thanks to a deer crash in February.

It's their nature to scrounge food, but I'm tired of them eating the vegetable garden and fruit trees I plant to feed myself and family. I've given up trying to have any decent landscaping; they eat it to the ground.

They're out of control and not managed. The season here is not long enough to make a dent in the population and hunters concentrate on trophy bucks instead of thinning out does. This county has the highest deer population per square mile in the state, and one of the highest in the country. Comp/collision insurance rates are some of the highest in the country as a result.

I stand by my opinion that they are useless, stupid and destructive animals. The definitive pest. Hunt them to extinction and I won't cry.
Old April 30th, 2009 | 09:52 AM

Useless???? They provide food, skins, and recreation. Stupid????? They survive and thrive in a wide range of habitats from wilderness to suburbs. In countless hours of observation I have never found them to be anywhere close to stupid. You've been eating store bought meat too long! Venison actually has a taste! It's high in protein and lower in fat than skinless chicken breast. Before complaining about your problem, do something to alleviate it. Hunt and give the meat to Hunters for the Hungry. Apply to your wildlife department for deer depredation permits. I live in a rural area with high deer densities and have yet to have a collision but I know it's always a possibility. At least with a K-car you didn't lose much! I could make you a venison meal you would enjoy. The burger can be used in a wide variety of recipes and people who say the exact same thing as you can never tell venison was used. Bad cooks can ruin anything!
Old April 30th, 2009 | 10:11 AM

5 cars? Wow...I think the deer are winning this one...it might be time to move....or go on a one-man deer killing spree. This is coming from someone that has never lived in a region with a super high deer population (that I know of ...), so please don't take my opinion ultra seriously.

- Russ

PS - All joking aside, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's bro.
Old April 30th, 2009 | 10:15 AM

Iv'e got them all around my neighborhood too. 3 of my neighbors have hit them. I have been lucky. 8 of them crossed the street in front of my car this morning. You wouldn't think there would be so many on Long Island in NY. I live near a state park and there is no hunting allowed. The population keeps growing. They eat and ruin everything growing on my property. They also carry ticks with Lyme disease. My daughter and a neighbor got Lyme from the ticks. Some people even feed them so much that the deer wait by their front doors. It's getting rediculous, like dogs at a food bowl. The state and town will do nothing about it. I hate them.
Old April 30th, 2009 | 11:43 AM

Hate the liberal yankee government on Long Island instead of the deer. A loathing of liberal idiots would also help. It's free food people! Well, almost free; it will cost a bullet or arrow and some freezer bags. Cut your grocery costs, increase your intake of highly nutritious meat, reduce possibility of traffic collisions, and cease complaining. Being dependant on the state and town or whatever level of government only empowers that government! My girlfriend's six year old daughter love to hunt and eat deer tacos. She also loves old cars. She is learning to be independent and self reliant instead of a whiner waiting on the idiots in the government to handle her problems for her.
Old May 13th, 2009 | 05:23 AM
car nut farmer

The deer problem was caused by the govt. and they are the ones who take no responsibility for damages. The govt. decides the who, what, when, where, and why on how wildlife is harvested. Deer and turkey are a big rub for me. I live in the country and it has become a hazard to drive from dusk until dawn. Last month I had my guard down while driving at dusk and clipped a deer with the left front quarter of our 300. 4100 clams in damage, cost me 1k out of pocket and who knows what in trade in because it is now a wrecked car. It was in show room condition. I read that in Kansas alone dear accounted for 50+million in reported damages and 5 deaths in 2008, and it cost the state $0. It's up to the states to take responsibility for their livestock just like I do with mine. I've two classic cars that never see the road past 5pm, that stinks. rant off.
Old May 14th, 2009 | 04:23 AM

Bummer that the deer totaled your car. At least you weren't hurt.

Do those deer whistles you can get at O'Reilly work? I wouldn't know. I live in the city and rarely see deer or wild turkey.

Be thankful you don't live up north. My uncle drives a truck for a medical company and he hit a 2 ton moose when he was driving in the northern US / southern Canada. It destroyed his truck to the point that he had to call a super wrecker and the truck was in the shop for months being fixed.
Old May 14th, 2009 | 04:35 AM

Hunt, kill, eat. It's that simple.
Old May 14th, 2009 | 07:00 AM

It' not that simple. You don't seem to get it. Some of us live in the suburbs. I have no problem shooting and eating a deer. I have done it for years hunting in upstate NY. But I'm not going to walk around the streets of LI with my gun and shoot a deer in this residential area. You would read about me in the papers. That's all I need to do is get arrested and loose my job over shooting a deer. My 2 duaghters also can shoot damn good and don't mind eating deer. And I also hate the liberal Gov around here but some of us have to stay around here and fight them. Just because I am a born and bred Yankee doesn't make us all that different. Besides we both love OLDS.
Old May 14th, 2009 | 07:39 AM

Amen brother. Oldsmobiles are the best! I'm sure there is a hunting season (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloder, archery) that can be used for thinning out the populations. With a little research and effort you could find out the local regulations and find some property to hunt. If people are so fed up with the deer then it should be fairly easy to obtain permission from various landowners. It is rare that someone will turn you down for bowhunting.

As a hunter/coservationist I get tired of hearing people complain about deer and be unwilling to do anything other than whine or expect the government to take care of the problem. Often farmers that bitch the most about crop damage will deny hunters access to their land. I would be very upset if a deer damaged my vehicle,especially my Olds, but I do understand that there are risks to operating a vehicle on public roads. Dumb drivers, bad roads, animals (not just deer), children, who knows what! Most people would just rather complain than take action of any kind. Drive your Olds carefully and keep her safe!
Old May 14th, 2009 | 08:44 AM

If you dont like Bambi dont drive through Wisconsin...I was driving through Wisconsin last year heading to Minneapolis and we lost count of the number of dead dear on the side of the road not to mention the live ones still hanging around the highway...I was in my 65 and I was a nervous wreck ...once we hit Minnesota they went away
Old May 17th, 2009 | 07:01 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by bittersweet71
Amen brother. Oldsmobiles are the best! I'm sure there is a hunting season (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloder, archery) that can be used for thinning out the populations. With a little research and effort you could find out the local regulations and find some property to hunt. If people are so fed up with the deer then it should be fairly easy to obtain permission from various landowners. It is rare that someone will turn you down for bowhunting.

As a hunter/coservationist I get tired of hearing people complain about deer and be unwilling to do anything other than whine or expect the government to take care of the problem. Often farmers that bitch the most about crop damage will deny hunters access to their land. I would be very upset if a deer damaged my vehicle,especially my Olds, but I do understand that there are risks to operating a vehicle on public roads. Dumb drivers, bad roads, animals (not just deer), children, who knows what! Most people would just rather complain than take action of any kind. Drive your Olds carefully and keep her safe!

One of the reasons deer have become a problem in certain parts of the country is the elimination or reduction of natural predators, i.e.; Coyotes, Wolves, and large cats. Combine that with farmers destroying the normal plants which deer prefer to eat and we have a formula for over population and Deer eating crops, gardens, and flower beds. Deer do not prefer to eat what most people think.

One of the reasons we see them along roadsides is they find some of their natural plant preferences along the rights of way. Deer prefer things like Honeysuckle, poison ivy (yes they love poison ivy), certain prairie grasses (not what is cultivated and grown for cattle in pastures) and certain seed or bean pods such as Mesquite beans. Want to keep deer off and away from the roads encourage farmers and ranchers grow wild grasses and vines along fence rows and hedges and encourage the state to keep rights of way mowed once wild flowers have gone to seed.

Probably not too much most will want to do about having natural predators. Coyotes have become an urban problem, everyone thinks a wolf is going to eat their small children and cattle, and large cats scare the dickens out of just about everyone. We have all those predators out here in the boonies where I live and we also have a healthy managed deer population via an organization all the area farmers and ranchers founded decades ago. We keep the wolves and coyotes out of cattle herds by simply putting a couple of Donkeys in with the cattle (Donkeys just don't like either and will aggressively proceed to kick the living hell out of them so they stay away from Donkeys). We don't worry too much about the big cats (Cougars) though we know they are around. What we have the biggest problem with is wild hogs, which are far more dangerous and destructive than deer. A couple of wild hogs can absolutely destroy the typical suburban lawn overnight. They are far worse to hit with a vehicle as a rollover is indeed possible. They are also less prone to avoiding the dangers of a road than a deer.

When one is going through rural areas where Deer and wild hogs are common at night it is prudent to drive with visual focus on the roadside about 1/4 mile ahead of you while maintaining a lesser speed than maybe the posted speed limit. Best way to reduce stopping time is to reduce speed! Those damn dumb country hicks creaping along 20 miles per hour slower than some want to go may just be smarter than most think!

Last edited by Texascarnut; May 17th, 2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old May 18th, 2009 | 04:38 PM

They're long-legged rats...

They cause hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars annually and they're getting overpopulated.

I'd hunt more but I don't like the way they taste and honestly, it's kind-of a pain to put in for tags, buy the license, organize the trip, take the time off work, etc...

I'd rather just work on my car...
Old July 20th, 2009 | 06:53 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

Four on the Floor is a Canadian comedy group & they have a song called "I shot Bambi's mother" ... it's a good giggle! ready for some Karaoke?! *sips glass, clears throat & grabs mic*

I shot Bambi's mother . Now I feel so bad.
I shot Bambi's mother. I made Bambi Saaaad.
and now the deer all hate me - Thumper too
Greenpeace magarates me & Disney plans to sue!
oh, I'm so Sorry - that's she's dead
when I think I could have shot
a
CARE BEAR
instead!

thankyou! I'm here all week
Old July 21st, 2009 | 04:59 AM

Southeastern Mass. has one of the highest deer per squalre mile populations in the country.

No one hunts here, and there are literally deer everywhere.

They get hit by vehicles every day.
Old July 21st, 2009 | 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by 442scotty
If you dont like Bambi dont drive through Wisconsin...I was driving through Wisconsin last year heading to Minneapolis and we lost count of the number of dead dear on the side of the road not to mention the live ones still hanging around the highway...I was in my 65 and I was a nervous wreck ...once we hit Minnesota they went away
Not too many natural predators up here for the deer. Haven't had the chance to join the fray ...Yet, but when I have time, and money at the SAME time will be doing my part to thin the herd.. without using a car. Actually, I have been on the road for some umpteen years now and have only clipped one. I don't know if it just luck, but even as a wrecker operator did not collect many deer strikes. That's not to say there haven't been some close calls...some I would have swore should have contacted, but just the one.
Old July 21st, 2009 | 09:39 AM

As a member of PETA (people eating tasty animals) the best solution is to eat our way out of this problem. They allow Bow hunting only on Long Gyland. But only the rich and famous have land to hunt.
Old October 17th, 2009 | 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Yup. I utterly hate deer. There should be year round open season and no limit hunting them.

One of them totaled me K-car this morning heading in to work. And I still haven't figured where it came from. All of a sudden it was there and ZERO time to react. I was traveling 55 when it hit me.

At least I have the satisfaction of knowing there's one, hopefully two, less deer roaming. Useless, stupid, destructive animals.

I think it's funny when suburbanites think it's cool to have deer on their property "oh look what a beautiful creature!" then reality sets in when they discover how destructive a pest they really are.
Last year, one such varmit did $200 of damage to my Corwn Vic(its only my daliy driver). My mother had to put up a 12 foot fence around her garden because of these pests.
Old October 17th, 2009 | 08:10 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by bittersweet71
As a hunter who eats an enormous amount of venison, I cannot see where deer are useless or stupid animals! There are way many more useless and stupid people! Do your part to help control the population! HUNT! You can also feed your family or give the meat to someone who will use it. Man is the #1 predator on the planet when he hones his skills as such. People that survive off vulture meat purchased at a store are weaker as a result; weaker mentally and physically. I brought my first deer home in the trunk of my 69 Cutlass S convertible! That was a double thrill! Hunt and be thankful for the meat and the animal that helps to make you stronger!
Ted Nugent for Presdient 2012!
Old October 17th, 2009 | 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by My442
Southeastern Mass. has one of the highest deer per squalre mile populations in the country.

No one hunts here, and there are literally deer everywhere.

They get hit by vehicles every day.
I rest my case!
Old October 17th, 2009 | 12:33 PM

I hear that if you cant avoid them punch the gas at the last second then they fly forward instead of through the window
Old October 17th, 2009 | 12:40 PM
Captain of my ship

Y'all wanna see deer then come up here , we have a s**t load of them. Texascarnut made a lot of good points about why there is a problem in many areas plus another one I can think of is that we keep expanding into their habitats then complain that there are wild animals about Complain to your dept. of natural resources or whoever handles it down there as they set the limits for hunting and are supposed to manage wildlife populations. here we are just starting to get the wolf population back after they were hunted to near extintion in Nova Scotia. there have also been recent sightings of cougar which will help. both of these animals are very shy by nature and do not kill people very often. you are 1000 times more likely to get killed by a stray bullet from a drug deal gone bad.
I ran over a racoon recently with my mother's lincoln and it did 3500 in damages. now there is a pest
Old October 17th, 2009 | 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 69'442
Iv'e got them all around my neighborhood too. 3 of my neighbors have hit them. I have been lucky. 8 of them crossed the street in front of my car this morning. You wouldn't think there would be so many on Long Island in NY. I live near a state park and there is no hunting allowed. The population keeps growing. They eat and ruin everything growing on my property. They also carry ticks with Lyme disease. My daughter and a neighbor got Lyme from the ticks. Some people even feed them so much that the deer wait by their front doors. It's getting rediculous, like dogs at a food bowl. The state and town will do nothing about it. I hate them.
I hate deer too! I hate libreals/left wing laws even more!

Last edited by toro68; October 17th, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old October 17th, 2009 | 04:11 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Pretty sure deer have no politcal views either way!!!!!

As the rules for this forum state "NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED."
Old October 17th, 2009 | 07:53 PM
...should get a life....

Sounds like you've got a real problem over there and a good basis for a well managed culling program. Over here there aren't any big animals to worry about, besides camels, cattle and wild horses in the unfenced "outback" in central Australia....and they're welcome to it. In my area it's mainly Wombats. They're cute, but they also make a mess of a car because they're rock solid. Like hitting a bag of set concrete.
Kangaroos are our biggest car wreckers here. A big roo will total a car easily and the highways are littered with them. Soon as the sun goes down out they come. There is a device which attaches to cars and sends out a high pitched whistling sound which is supposed to keep them away from the road. Friend of mine had a roo clear his car (they can jump) but it went through the front window of the caravan he was towing and absolutely destroyed to interior of the van.

Old October 17th, 2009 | 09:32 PM
Oldsdruid

Ye gods- it's a groundhog on steroids!

Groundhogs are a pest too. I've trapped several this year. They like to den under buildings, and are known to try to dig the foundation out from under a house to get under there.

Col- I can't imagine having to dodge 'roos the way we do deer. I had to come to a complete stop last night out in the country because three deer were in the middle of the highway and would not move. Now that it's turning cooler and they'll start the rut, it will only get worse.
Old October 17th, 2009 | 09:37 PM
67 heavy metal

those wombats look like giant ground hogs or hedge hogs as some call them,as for the deer that this post was started with back in april I have hit my share of deer and managed to miss quite a few as well.My first car that I still have a 1983 chevy malibu wagon I was on my way home from work and before I could do anything I had locked up my brakes but it was too late nailed the deer and the frigging thing draged me somewhat into the ditch.That stinkin deer wasted my front clip or at leas the part the bolts to the front of the fenders killed my high beam headlight signal the bumper impact shock and damaged the bumper more as it was messed up before I got the car by my sisterit was a family handmedown.I was a bit torked but in one way it was a good thing as it gave me a excuse to get a newer front bumper.The other good thing is there is a nearby junk yard that still has these cars for parts.I almost hit a turkey with my olds as the friggin thing started to dart across the road all I seen was a darkish colored thing start to come out of the corner of my eye I locked up the brakes and that was interesting glad noone was comming the other way as that was before i figured out my front left wheel wasn't doing any stopping due to a clogged line so I was doing a fishtail/swerve action.The friggin turkey suprised me and I did the same to it as it did a 180 and bolted right back were it came from.My suv has been uhh well say attacked by two deer and that was before it was mine one messed up the passenger fender and bumper and the other bounced off the rear wheel well.I find the dec and some of these over done nutcase enviormental people to be more of a waste than the deer.I have found out recently that they are repopulating bears cyotes and several other animals that I don't think need be repopulated.The bear is a messed up story several have died or got into trouble recently so I say the people reintroducing them need to be smacked in the back of the head a few times.I guess if you want to get into birds as well what is with the protection on seaguls and crows and ravins.There was a town in the news awile back that got overrun by crows or ravins.They are a diseased and hazardus bird as are many others.I read this whole thread and had to vent and add my two cents.I unfortunatly have yet to get my hunting licence though the funny part is I have the clothing and much of the gear go figure.
Old October 18th, 2009 | 04:57 AM
Captain of my ship

Roo's are a problem in parts of Australia just like deer here but if you went to Newfoundland your main concern would be Moose. most of the truckers have moose bars on the front of their trucks because a moose will destroy a big rig if they hit one. Many years ago down on the south west shore of Nova Scotia a woman was travelling the road at around dusk and came across a large bull moose on the road. She stopped and waited for a short time but the moose did not move and just stood there looking at her so she decided to blow her horn at the moose to try to get it to move. Now she was driving a Volkswagon beetle and it was rut season for the moose so the bull moose took this blowing of the horn as a threat so he turned and charged the car. By the time he was done he had completely destroyed this poor bug with the woman still inside. when another motorist came across the Bug upside down in the ditch and crumpled he thought she must have had an accident. They had to cut her out of the car and take her to the hospital mostly suffering from shock. They had a picture of the car in the paper and showed it on the local news. I will never forget the pics of that car and how much damage a bull moose can do. Never ever blow your horn at a bull moose anytime cause they can be very aggresive anytime , I learned that lesson the easy way , she did not.
Old October 18th, 2009 | 05:22 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Time to start getting heavy push bars on the front of your cars & trucks then. That way instead of trying to avoid them you can aim for them MAD MAX style!!!!! LOL

Just like others have said there is no hunting season if you use your car!!
Old October 18th, 2009 | 06:09 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Pretty sure deer have no politcal views either way!!!!!

As the rules for this forum state "NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED."
Which part was the political view was it the mention of natural resources.
Old October 18th, 2009 | 06:13 AM
Captain of my ship

The last thing i want to do is hit anything bigger than a chipmunk. Even if I had a beater I would not aim for any animal since it's a loose - loose proposition.

Quick Reply: I hate Bambi. Really I do.